EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 1 Jun 2010, 10:01 AM   #1
beq
Cornerstone of the Community

Yahoo IMAP access from email clients?

From Wikipedia page on Yahoo Mail:

Quote:
Free IMAP and SMTP access

<snip> Yahoo! operates IMAP servers (imap.mail.yahoo.com in particular), which are globally accessible. However they require a specific, but non-standard IMAP command to be sent before login is done. The command is: ID ("GUID" "1") and it is relatively easy to modify any email client to send it. In fact this is the method currently employed by YPOPs! and FreePOPs. There are modified versions of Mutt and Mozilla Thunderbird available that send this command.

There is also an IMAPs server running at imap-ssl.mail.yahoo.com; it uses SSL on the standard port 993. [was imap.next.mail.yahoo.com during beta]

It is also possible to send mail through mail clients as Yahoo! also operates an SMTP server (smtp.mail.yahoo.com). It is necessary to enable SSL through port 465. For IMAP and SMTP access the username is the user's Yahoo! Mail address and the password is the same as for webmail access.
Other than official support for Zimbra Desktop and mobile phones, others have also adapted this Yahoo IMAP requirement, such as the YippieMove migration service and the MailStore Home backup app.

Anyways, what are the chances of getting Yahoo IMAP supported directly in Thunderbird source, rather than using a custom build of Thunderbird? Previous discussions from 2008-2009 are available here, here, and here.

Alternatively would it be possible to develop add-ons for popular desktop clients (like a Thunderbird extension or Outlook MAPI plugin) to support this, without having to run a local proxy server (like YPOPs/FreePOPs or the WebMail extension for Thunderbird) or pay for a hosted translation service (like IzyMail)?
beq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Jun 2010, 01:45 PM   #2
William9
The "e" in e-mail

Not having IMAP functionality with a standard client is one of the reasons I'm going to discontinue my paid Yahoo account.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jun 2010, 01:18 AM   #3
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Trying Shredder.

Just a note: it appears the pop server will accept upper and lower case user names, but imap requires lower case logins only.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2010, 02:08 AM   #4
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

I will say that I don't find Yahoo IMAP particularly robust.

I have one Yahoo mail account with a lot of mail in it -- folders with 21000, 31000, 1100 mails, etc. -- and that account regularly goes flaky, giving errors, trying to login, locking out, and so on.

It's fine for regular mail checks, but that one account shows me not everything is robust with the Yahoo IMAP implementation.

=============

Note: the downloadable version of Thunderbird offered above that has been modified to do the Yahoo IMAP trick is a beta version of 3.0, which is why it's called Shredder. I know that there have been fixes in the current 3.0 to make IMAP more reliable; this might be part of the problem.

I'm not running Linux, so I don't have a c compiler immediately available, so I can't get current source and recompile, so I'm stuck until someone else compiles a trick version.

Nicely, Shredder doesn't overwrite current Thunderbird 3, so I have both of them available, and my desktop shortcuts are modified to access different profiles; my standard accounts in released 3 and my Yahoo accounts in the older Shredder.

It's nice to check all accounts in one client, including one account that doesn't have POP3 access even with the region thing, even if that client isn't the best.

Last edited by kaptitsky : 26 Jun 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 06:41 PM   #5
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

One key problem with Yahoo IMAP access, it seems to me, is that the backend doesn't appear multi-threaded.

If I am in a Yahoo account with the IMAP client, and then I POP check the same account, I always get a message on the POP check that the mailbox is in use. I also get login errors from the gimmicked Thunderbird beta, and while I haven't tried logging the session to track down the errors, it looks like they are also "mailbox in use" type errors.

To me, this looks like a big reason that Yahoo hasn't rolled out IMAP except where absolutely required, like on the Apple products.

Gmail and AOL do not give these errors on multiple access to a mailbox, and I suspect these errors are against protocol for IMAP.

It seems to be a serious limit on Yahoo IMAP access.
Old 26 Jun 2010, 06:49 PM   #6
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Started 6 June 2010

http://sourceforge.net/projects/imapidproxy/
http://imapidproxy.sourceforge.net/

Quote:
The IMAP ID proxy sits between IMAP client and server, entirely transparently, except that it adds an IMAP ID command. This counters IMAP servers that break the protocol (RFC 2971) by refusing service based on information from the ID command.
Old 6 Jul 2010, 09:45 PM   #7
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Gimmicked Thunderbird 3.1

http://www.aliasbailbonds.com/KeeFor...thunderbird-31

They have the patches for using Yahoo IMAP on Thunderbird 3.1, plus a compiled Windows Binary.

A big upgrade from shredder...

(make sure you unpack it over Thunderbird 3.1, and not over Shredder. I copied my 3.1 over Shredder, and this over the 3.1 in the old Shredder location.)

=============

Thunderbird 3.1 is much better at IMAP error handling than Shredder.

And that quality reveals just how much the Yahoo IMAP server isn't really ready for prime time.

On folders with thousands of messages it chokes, gives not ready, inaccessible and other errors. Probably related to only one access of a mailbox at a time.

It makes me understand why Yahoo delivers IMAP where they have to, on mobiles and such, but don't offer the kind of open IMAP access that AOL and Gmail support.

It would seem to be a headache for all concerned.

Last edited by kaptitsky : 7 Jul 2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 9 Jul 2010, 12:41 AM   #8
guillaume
Essential Contributor

Yahoo IMAP will only work over Edge or 3G on Android. Will not work if it recognizes a WiFi connection. probably the same thing on a normal computer
guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2010, 01:45 AM   #9
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaume View Post
Yahoo IMAP will only work over Edge or 3G on Android. Will not work if it recognizes a WiFi connection. probably the same thing on a normal computer
Works for me on "a normal computer" when I use a mail client modified to do the non-protocol standard handshake.

In fact, that's what this thread is about.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 03:35 AM   #10
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

The team at KeeForms has released Thunderbird 3.12 with the Yahoo IMAP gimmick.

Get the patch, or the Windows executable to install over a working Tbird 3.1 installation.

http://www.aliasbailbonds.com/KeeFor...thunderbird-31
Old 25 Sep 2010, 07:58 AM   #11
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

Keeforms offers Thunderbird 3.14 with the Yahoo IMAP gimmick.

http://www.aliasbailbonds.com/KeeFor...ry/thunderbird

They are keeping up rather well.
Old 29 Sep 2010, 02:48 AM   #12
RFK
Essential Contributor

My Windows Live Mail standard client on Windows 7 Home successfully connected to Yahoo! mail via IMAP protocol.
RFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2010, 03:56 AM   #13
soromak
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFK View Post
My Windows Live Mail standard client on Windows 7 Home successfully connected to Yahoo! mail via IMAP protocol.
I have quickly tried with my Apple Mail and my @ymail.com account works as well!
It seems they quietly corrected imap support?
soromak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2010, 04:07 AM   #14
walesrob
Essential Contributor

Same here, set up in Sylpheed, I have a .co.uk yahoo email addy, but using the .com servers. Only problem is I seem to have 2 inboxes
walesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Sep 2010, 10:29 AM   #15
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

And works for me, with an @att.net address in standard Thunderbird.

Let's see if it lasts.