EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Old 2 Oct 2018, 12:24 AM   #1
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

SquirrelMail removed from cPanel

Under the sinister title of 'The Death of Squirrelmail', cPanel is removing the Squirrelmail package from future installations.

Quote:
Why SquirrelMail is being removed

An all too common story with open source projects is a loss of invested developers. A once active, vibrant developer community diminishes as other things take priority. When that happens, its users often leave as well.

SquirrelMail’s last update was May 30th, 2013, with their last release on July 12, 2011. In that seven years, 4 versions of PHP have reached End of Life, and we have worked with others in the community to maintain SquirrelMail. Unfortunately, recent security patches have significant problems, forcing us into a choice. Exclude the security fix and ship SquirrelMail with known security flaws, ship a secure version with known interface issues, or attempt to fix the problems.

Webmail users now expect a better experience than SquirrelMail provides. Rather than continuing to ship an unmaintained application, we decided to remove SquirrelMail.

Last edited by Berenburger : 2 Oct 2018 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typo in title
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 2 Oct 2018, 03:31 AM   #2
Folio

This was probably inevitable, but I'll always have a nostalgic attachment to SquirrelMail. For me, the decision to no longer include it in the Debian repositories felt like the final nail in the coffin
Folio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2018, 06:05 PM   #3
edu

It's a pity. I always loved SquirrelMail but sometimes the best things end early. I'd be grateful if the project could continue...
edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Oct 2018, 09:09 PM   #4
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folio View Post
..but I'll always have a nostalgic attachment to SquirrelMail.
Me too. That was the primary reason I got my own domain name and a webhost that I could install it and run it on.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Aug 2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

More and more hosting providers are discontinuing SquirreMail. Now Rollernet throws in the towel.

https://www.rollernet.us/wordpress/2...f-life-notice/

Quote:
Since the very beginning of our hosted mail service, SquirrelMail was there as a webmail option. It’s served thousands of users well, but the time has come where we need to declare SquirrelMail end of life (EOL) and no longer supported. SquirrelMail has not been actively developed for several years, and incompatibility with other upgrades we will be making across our system is very likely.

As an EOL service, we will no longer test changes for compatibility with SquirrelMail. Although the basic email functions of SquirrelMail will continue to function, any broken additional features in SquirrelMail will be removed or disabled.

We understand the desire for a simple webmail interface still exists in our customer base and we will be looking at replacement options. In the meantime, please plan to migrate your webmail needs to RoundCube at: https://webmail.rollernet.us/roundcube

SquirrelMail will be shut down on December 31, 2020.
Old 28 Aug 2020, 10:55 AM   #6
Bamb0
Master of the @

Angry

Quote:
Webmail users now expect a better experience than SquirrelMail provides. Rather than continuing to ship an unmaintained application, we decided to remove SquirrelMail.
Not all of us...... We want something that works well on ALL BROWSERS and im grateful to have one that does and I hope we dont lose it!!

Thank you Jeff!!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2020, 03:36 AM   #7
SethM

Representative of:
Rollernet.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
More and more hosting providers are discontinuing SquirreMail. Now Rollernet throws in the towel.

https://www.rollernet.us/wordpress/2...f-life-notice/

I'm evaluating other "simple" interface webmail clients because I personally still prefer the simple nature of Squirrelmail. I'm kind of leaning towards Rainloop at the moment.

As nostalgic as I am for Squirrelmail it's sadly just too old and abandoned at this point. If I wanted to keep current on PHP updates, for example, I just don't have the time or energy to unit test and backport fixes into Squirrelmail that was developed for much older versions of PHP. I've already run into problems with pigeonhole sieve becoming too new for squirrel and had to disable squirrel's sieve filter plugin in rather than trying to figure out how to update it.
SethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Sep 2020, 06:24 PM   #8
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethM View Post
I'm evaluating other "simple" interface webmail clients because I personally still prefer the simple nature of Squirrelmail. I'm kind of leaning towards Rainloop at the moment.
Unfortunately I don't see many implementations of Rainloop. I would like to see more. It’s a good choice: simple, fast, user-friendly, mobile aware and no complicated backend. A reason to switch.

Quote:
As nostalgic as I am for Squirrelmail it's sadly just too old and abandoned at this point. If I wanted to keep current on PHP updates, for example, I just don't have the time or energy to unit test and backport fixes into Squirrelmail that was developed for much older versions of PHP. I've already run into problems with pigeonhole sieve becoming too new for squirrel and had to disable squirrel's sieve filter plugin in rather than trying to figure out how to update it.
The last of the Mohicans: Tuffmail?