EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Sep 2022, 01:16 AM   #1
bberger

auto select problem

When I open my fastmail it selects all of the emails without me asking. How do i change that?
bberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Sep 2022, 02:38 AM   #2
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

Could you provide more detail, since I don't understand what you mean.

Are you using the FM app on a smartphone? Or, some other smartphone app (which?), or a browser (which one?) and FM's own webmail system?

Do you keep all your mails in just one folder (ie the Inbox), or many folders?

When "all the mails are selected" is this just newly-arrived mails, or old ones that have already been read as well?
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2022, 03:42 AM   #3
bberger

Hello,
i am using my desktop pc with chrome. I have many folders and when I open the program it checks all of the email in the inbox, new and old. It doesnt do it with my iphone or laptop. Only my desktop pc.
bberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2022, 04:44 AM   #4
bertradio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberger View Post
Hello,
i am using my desktop pc with chrome. I have many folders and when I open the program it checks all of the email in the inbox, new and old. It doesnt do it with my iphone or laptop. Only my desktop pc.
Have you tried other browsers on your desktop? Could be a page cache or cookie issue. Also, have you tried to sign out and sign back in?
bertradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2022, 04:54 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow View and Sort options for message listing

At the top of the message list (beneath the Search Mail field) you should see a tool which probably shows something like “All Mail” “Newest First”. Open that tool and you can change the view to “Unread”. The sort order can also be modified.

You can also type UNREAD (in all uppercase) in the search box at the top to only view unread messages. You can combine this with other search terms and save the search for later use. For example, you could enter in the search box “UNREAD from:bill”, then at the top left where the search is shown you could save the search with the label “BILL”. This saved search will appear at the bottom below your folder list. Now by selecting the BILL search (which shows a magnifying glass icon), you can view all unread messages from anyone with “Bill” (case ignored) in their name.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2022, 04:55 AM   #6
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

I normally use Firefox, but just tried with Chrome (the most-recent version), and do not see what you report.

My Chrome has no extensions installed, especially no ad-blockers and no script-blockers - if you have anything that's not standard Chrome, try disabling them. Also try clearing cache, cookies etc - which on every browser I use I clear all of, every day.

I don't see any feature in FM's preferences that would select everything, however there are two keyboard shortcuts that would do it: asterisk then a, and single-quote then a. Is there any chance that you're typing either of those by accident? If you don't use keyboard shortcuts you can disable them at: Settings - Preferences - Accessibility. You can read about shortcuts at: https://www.fastmail.help/hc/en-us/a...oard-shortcuts
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote