EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Jan 2022, 04:19 AM   #46
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by evfrson View Post
Working fine here (macOS Big Sur)
Ok, thanks, I’ll take another look - maybe I have some other setting that’s inadvertently effecting it.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2022, 05:39 AM   #47
JeremyNicoll
Essential Contributor

The only thing I like about the new UI is that the Compose button is always visible. Previously it was at the top of the scrolling list of folders so - if you had a long list and were scrolled a long way down in it, you had to scroll the whole list upwards to be able to access the button again.

I dislike:
- the wasted space

- previously "Delete" was the second item in the (row of buttons) that started "Archive Delete...", but now it's the
third item because the thing that lets you untick a set of selected items is now at the start of the row.
LOGICALLY it makes sense to have that in the same row, as the action buttons which aact on whatever is
selected - so I see why they have done it - but for now I keep mousing towards Archive when I want to hit Delete

- the display fonts seem blurrier to me
JeremyNicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2022, 05:45 AM   #48
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

There is a thread on Reddit regarding the FM UI changes back when it used to be on beta. I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but having the message commands (archive, delete, etc.) on a new/separate bar makes the search bar area extremely barren. It now causes the remaining part of the message window to show less of the message.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2022, 07:21 AM   #49
hadaso
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNicoll View Post
but for now I keep mousing towards Archive when I want to hit Delete
This problem will probably disappear after a few days of use and will reappear the next time the buttons are moved...
Quote:
- the display fonts seem blurrier to me
Same here. I guess it would be OK in a few days after I get used to my new glasses!
hadaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2022, 12:28 PM   #50
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Angry

My turn to vent about the new UI changes....

I hadn't visited the beta for quite some time and initially didn't notice too much change so I went back to the non-beta. I don't know if it's just a coincidence but did the most recent beta now become the non-beta standard? It appears to me everything assumes a more narrow display: the UI font is smaller, the preferences now use smartphone (iPhone) off/on sliders, preference lists like "Display the following extra headers when reading messages" are spread out vertically, and for me, worst of all, the Sieve script display is much narrower.

Some of these changes may look ok on a little iPhone screen (although even there I don't know why the folder list need to be so spread out vertically) but on my 27" monitor it looks like crap with a lot of wasted white space on the right.

It's that last one that really pi$$es me off. I comment my code. Like anything I code I comment a lot. When the UI changed (last year?) the Sieve code got wider so it didn't impact my formatting. I just kept everything since based on the old more narrow width. Now it's even more narrow than the original and all my comment blocks are now misformatted due to line wrapping.

I don't remember at the moment which thread it was here about not using Sieve due to possible impact on the code due to FM changes. I replied I wasn't too worried. But I didn't take into account FM screwing up my formatting. I'm anal about such things.

I guess this post is a rehearsal for me sending in a ticket telling them what I thing of their new UI. Not that it's going to change anything.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2022, 12:38 PM   #51
xyzzy
Essential Contributor

Angry

My turn to vent about the new UI changes....

I hadn't visited the beta for quite some time but I did because of this thread and initially didn't notice too much change so I went back to the non-beta. I don't know if it's just a coincidence but did the most recent beta now become the non-beta standard? It appears to me everything assumes a more narrow display. The UI font is smaller, the preferences now use smartphone (iPhone) off/on sliders instead of checkboxes, preference lists like "Display the following extra headers when reading messages" are more spread out vertically, and for me, worst of all, the Sieve script display is much narrower.

Some of these changes may look ok on a little iPhone screen (although even there I don't know why the folder list needs to be so spread out vertically) but on my 27" monitor it looks like crap with a lot of wasted white space on the right.

It's that last one that really pi$$es me off. I comment code. Like anything I code I comment a lot no matter which coding language I'm using. When the UI changed (last year?) the Sieve code got wider so it didn't impact my comment formatting. I just kept everything as it was based on the old then more narrow width. Now it's even more narrow than the original and almost all my comment blocks are now misformatted due to line wrapping.

I don't remember at the moment which thread it was here about not using Sieve due to possible impact on the code due to FM changes. I replied I wasn't too worried. But I didn't take into account FM screwing up the formatting. I'm anal about such things. What kind of a display are they assuming they want to cram this into?

I sent FM a ticket telling them what I think of their new UI. Not that it's going to change anything.

Last edited by xyzzy : 26 Jan 2022 at 01:13 PM.
xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2022, 02:38 PM   #52
JoeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz View Post
Can you post a screenshot of where the search box used to be?
I *think* I can do that.
Can you make it go back to this like all of this the old old design which was fantastic. The buttons, the search box (ignoring those dots on the top left) even the old fastmail logo was better.
And the compose button I hate it now it is the first thing I see in the inbox very distracting

https://tidbits.com/uploads/2015/10/...-interface.png

And the compose page
Getting those buttons back how they where along the blue bar at the top. And taking the colour off of the compose button

https://www.pypo.eu/wp-content/uploa...er_Message.jpg

The reading an email page too

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fastmail+r...stmail%2F1.png

The best fastmail logo

https://external-content.duckduckgo....300&f=1&nofb=1
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2022, 04:28 PM   #53
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
Is it possible to move the search box back over to where it was? I just want it back like it was, ....IF that is doable. Really appreciate what ever you are able to do though no matter how small :)
Try this...

Code:
/* Move the Search box to the right side */
.v-SearchInput-input {
background-color:aliceblue !important;
font-size:18pt !important;
direction:ltr !important;
}
.v-MailToolbar-search, .v-PageHeader, .v-PageHeader--dark  {
direction:rtl !important;
}
.v-ClearSearchButton {
background-color:limegreen !important;
}

Last edited by Gsptlsnz : 27 Jan 2022 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Changed the Code
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2022, 05:04 PM   #54
Gsptlsnz

It will be much faster if I just post Stylish code snippets. This way everyone can use what they want without unwanted changes or additions.
Old 26 Jan 2022, 05:07 PM   #55
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
My "Stylish" code is at 97%. Once I post the code I will not have time to go back and update/change anything so if there are tweaks you want, then post them NOW and I will add them if I can.

Once again this will be a one-time-only stylesheet posting.
While not critical for me personally, if you have time, perhaps you could investigate why the tooltip (full from address) of the Name field on the message list screen does not appear when you hover over the field. It is a very simple
Quote:
<span title="email-address">Sender Name</span>
If there is a simple Stylish rule set that can correct this, some here would be very interested.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2022, 05:17 PM   #56
JoeR

Quote:
It will be much faster if I just post Stylish code snippets. This way everyone can use what they want without unwanted changes or additions.
You could market this I'd definitely pay for the old UI back! Bloody Brilliant, & anything your doing on this is very much appreciated
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2022, 06:27 AM   #57
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtper View Post
- Borders around numbers of unread next to folders
Try this...

Code:
/* Puts a count badge on every folder except "ARCHIVE", "SENT", and "TRASH" and shows the number of unread emails */
.v-MailboxSource-badge {
display:inline-block;
font-size:12pt;
color:navy;
background-color:white;
border:2px solid black;
padding-left:3px;
padding-right:3px;
border-radius:4px;
margin-right:-12px!important;
text-shadow:1px 1px 1px #808080 !important;
}
Old 27 Jan 2022, 01:00 PM   #58
trikotret

Quote:
Try this...

Code:
/* Puts a count badge on every folder except "ARCHIVE", "SENT", and "TRASH" and shows the number of unread emails */
.v-MailboxSource-badge {
display:inline-block;
font-size:12pt;
color:navy;
background-color:white;
border:2px solid black;
padding-left:3px;
padding-right:3px;
border-radius:4px;
margin-right:-12px!important;
text-shadow:1px 1px 1px #808080 !important;
}
Anyway to center the message when opened?
trikotret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2022, 01:32 PM   #59
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Its ok using the scripts, BUT when Fastmail changes something often the scrip gets broken....so you finish up where you started like today.

I use a little script and so far its been ok
Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2022, 02:14 PM   #60
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Its ok using the scripts, BUT when Fastmail changes something often the scrip gets broken....so you finish up where you started like today.

I use a little script and so far its been ok
I have a mailfence account and they often change their css codes. So I have to update there, too. But the changes aren't as major as fastmail.