EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 26 Dec 2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Mugwhamp
Cornerstone of the Community

Multiple identities in iOS 11

Hi guys. I tend to rotate between the iOS Mail app and the FM app on my iPhone. I hadn't used the Mail app for many months until several days ago, and I reinstalled Mail settings per the newish QR code offered by FM. Upon doing so, I noted that I no longer have the functionality of entering multiple sending identities; it's grayed out. Can this still be done?
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Dec 2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Mugwhamp

By the way, just re-upped for another two years Enhanced. Thanks for continuing to offer a great communication service, FM team!
Old 26 Dec 2017, 10:33 PM   #3
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

When I go to Accounts & Passwords in the iOS 11 settings, select my account, then select Email, I still have the option to "Add Another Email." Is that the grayed out area you're talking about, or are you looking somewhere else?
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Dec 2017, 12:30 AM   #4
Mugwhamp

FM support got back with me promptly. Here's the response:

Thanks for contacting us!

What you are seeing is currently a known limitation. The Mac/iPhone auto configuration tool does not allow adding aliases to the mail account after configuration is complete. We checked this up with Apple and they have confirmed on the issue. We hope Apple supports this in their future updates.
At the moment, to add an alias (or domain addresses) you will have to manually configure your iPhone, the instructions of which you can find here:

https://www.fastmail.com/help/client...ual.html#email
If you have any further questions let me know in update to this ticket.

Regards,

Shabana
FastMail Support

I guess I'll have to go old school if I want to have my identities for the Mail app. Apple limitation, not FM's fault.
Old 27 Dec 2017, 12:34 AM   #5
Pfolson
Essential Contributor

That explains a lot. Thanks for the update!
Pfolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Jan 2018, 12:11 AM   #6
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwhamp View Post
I guess I'll have to go old school if I want to have my identities for the Mail app. Apple limitation, not FM's fault.
Yup. In all fairness to Apple, the configuration profiles that FastMail uses for auto-configuration in this case are actually designed to be used for managed deployments of device configurations in a corporate environment, where you'd understandably not want your employees being able to modify these kinds of settings.

I'm still rather sad that Apple hasn't gotten with the program in terms of allowing simple auto discovery of settings.... FastMail has the pieces in place to support this on the back-end, but sadly very few front-end e-mail clients support it — even those as FastMail points out, Apple literally wrote the spec for it back in 2011.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote