EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 12 Mar 2020, 05:26 PM   #61
M4rk4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
So, if you really don't like the new web and mobile interface can't you just use something else? There are tons of smartphone apps and many different web interfaces that could be used to view your emails.
I don't understand this remark. I log into the web UI on Firefox on my laptop. What other web interface might I choose? A different browser will presumably look much the same (a well-designed web page should be pretty browser-agnostic in look and feel, surely).
M4rk4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2020, 05:35 PM   #62
M4rk4y

Quote:
The trend in the 21st century is, "do more with less."
I think it's more like "do more with less of our own effort but more re-use/adaptation of what other people have already done even if it's not really fit for what we want to do with it." So it's a different kind of complexity, driven by a desire for greater standardisation, which ought to be a good thing (it's easier to do one thing really well) but somehow ends up not, as everyone ends up diverging. These things come in waves. Look at Unix. An early split into 2 rival camps and other splinter groups, then Linus' attempt to produce a single good replacement, then that has now splintered all over again.

Sorry, didn't mean to get all philosophical and somewhat off-topic.

Quote:
To me, the current FastMail service still looks far better than the nonsense I experienced elsewhere.
Couldn't agree more. Compare it with Gmail or Hotmail.
M4rk4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Mar 2020, 08:53 PM   #63
Junkle

Well, here's the latest ticket response:
"Thank you for your feedback. I have passed it along to the management.

Unfortunately, we cannot revert to the old font anymore. Sorry.

Is there anything else I can assist you with. "
I had to chuckle that the last sentence was ended with a period. It was intended as a question, buuut... not. As in, we don't really care about what you think... a "mock" question Freudian slip.

I reminded them again that they can revert, but that they choose not to. I congratulated them that they must be prosperous beyond their wildest dreams.

I've ruminated about it for days now, and have come to the conclusion that the financial stability of these folks must be demonstrated to be believed. "Hail Mary"-type actions often result at the end of long road of (perhaps totally behind-the-scenes) decline --- we need more users; quick, think of something, even if it means breaking something that works really well already!

Don't get me wrong, I still love fastmail, and most of what I loved about it remains. I absolutely want them to succeed but, as was commented previously, certain marches towards decline are effectively inexorable.

All that said, I credit them with highlighting how fragile I am by relying on third-party webmail. I shall do something about that.
Junkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2020, 02:58 AM   #64
mattc1170

Add my name to the list of people really turned off by this font change. It looks terrible on my 1920x1080 monitors running Chrome on both Windows 10 and Linux. <puke emoji>

When I first signed up for FastMail many years ago I mostly just used my preferred IMAP email client to connect. But I eventually went all-in with the FastMail web client once I saw how slick it was and how quickly I could manage my email with keyboard shortcuts.

This new font is SO ugly I'm probably going to consider using an IMAP client again.
mattc1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2020, 03:57 AM   #65
TenFour
Master of the @

General observation. A lot of the negative comments here are from new users with very low post counts. Are new people flocking here just to rag on FM?
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2020, 04:46 AM   #66
ellentk
Essential Contributor

TenFour:

Are new users so blind that they will not see?

Ellen, a fairly old user
ellentk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2020, 05:38 AM   #67
mattc1170

Quote:
General observation. A lot of the negative comments here are from new users with very low post counts. Are new people flocking here just to rag on FM?
Well, yes. First time poster, some time lurker. I flocked here precisely to rag on this UI change. Things looked funny when I checked my email last night so I popped over here to see if something had changed or if I (or my browser) was going crazy. I've been an extremely happy FastMail user and occasional FastMail Twitter evangelist with no reason to post until now.
mattc1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2020, 07:48 AM   #68
Lockwood

Quote:
Not sure posts on the forum is a reliable measure.
I'm low in posts here, but have been a rock solid fastmail user since 2006 with 5 paid accounts in use.
And I have loved how they brought the UX of the web interface up over the years so that I don't need to rely on email clients/software.
Just that this font is a substantive step back.
Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2020, 09:12 AM   #69
Junkle

Quote:
So I'm not welcome as a new user, then? I believe it's called "EmailDiscussions.com". I believe I was discussing email in the theme of the thread I found through google. Perhaps I've violated something?
Old 13 Mar 2020, 09:18 AM   #70
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Question

In the past I've been an outspoken critic of Fastmail when they have messed things up with apparently pointless changes... but I'm puzzled by this thread.
The only substantial changes I've noticed are a few minor tweaks to the layout and that they've changed the font from one inoffensive, legible, sans-serif type to a different inoffensive, legible, sans-serif type.
Unlike in previous revisions, as far as I'm aware there has been no loss of functionality at all.
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Last edited by Grhm : 13 Mar 2020 at 09:21 AM. Reason: minor typo
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Mar 2020, 09:21 AM   #71
Junkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about.
The font renders very poorly on some displays. A simple solution would be to retain the option to use the old font. That was removed. It's difficult and painful to look at a poorly-rendered font for hours on end. Despite expressing this to Fastmail, they have told users who have a major issue with the rendering of this font that no changes will be forthcoming.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 10:13 AM   #72
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkle View Post
The font renders very poorly on some displays.
It looks just fine on the devices I've tried it on, viz my Android phone and the PCs at my local library. What device are you using that has these problems? Please could you upload a screen-shot so we can see what you are referring to?
Old 13 Mar 2020, 10:29 AM   #73
Junkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
Please could you upload a screen-shot so we can see what you are referring to?
How do you attach a file here? I'm sorry, I can't seem to figure that out.
Old 13 Mar 2020, 11:26 AM   #74
Grhm
Essential Contributor

You can't attach a file directly to a forum post here, but you can upload it elsewhere and provide a link.
Some people use third party services like 'photobucket' to do this, but it's relatively simple to do it in Fastmail itself, as follows...
• Set up a new folder in 'files',
• Upload the picture to it,
• Set up a new alias,
• Set up a web site on the domain of that alias,
• Choose the 'gallery' option,
• Point it to the new folder that has the picture in it.
• Voila!
Old 13 Mar 2020, 11:45 AM   #75
Junkle

Grhm, thanks for the response. Before I do all that, maybe all I need to do is describe what's happening. On some screens that are not set up to show smoothed "anti-aliased" fonts, the aliased version of the font looks horrible; ghastly, actually. On the other hand, even on a machine where the anti-aliased font is displayed, it's still "blurry". The old font's aliased version was so well designed that it was a pleasure to look at regardless. It rendered well on the native resolutions of many common screens.

Some people, me being one, have little patience for anti-aliased fonts on low dpi screens. Such fonts look fine on mobile devices such as a Samsung S9 (my device) and are thus acceptable because the dpi of these screens is so high, and the angular resolution of our eyes is comparatively low. One can't readily "see" pixels on these screens. But when you can see individual pixels, anti-aliased fonts look like how the way home looks after two or three too many drinks. We thus "fall back" (not really a "fall back" in my opinion, but I'll call it that here) to a well-designed aliased font, and are very happy in that regime.

The old font avoided anti-aliasing and looked great at native resolutions. Why rob those for whom this works well of this option? It's just strange.

In case it's useful for anyone, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_rasterization

Yes, on my desktop and laptop screen, I prefer my fonts to look like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_r...ion-simple.png

This, on the other hand, is rather barf-ish to me:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Font_r...bpixel-RGB.png

This matters particularly after hours of staring at the screen. Thanks for your interest.