EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Jan 2015, 04:31 AM   #1
Agx

Why dot is not available?

Hi,

why Fastmail don't support dot in the username?
Agx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Jan 2015, 05:10 AM   #2
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

It's because the Cyrus IMAP mail server software uses a dot as a folder separator (ie. instead of the backslash in Windows).

Once you have your account, you can create an alias with a dot in the name however.
https://www.fastmail.com/help/accoun...in=fastmail.fm
https://www.fastmail.com/help/receive/aliases.html
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Agx

Very nice to know!
Agx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2015, 10:03 PM   #4
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

I think it is also because of sub-domain addressing. This is a feature that allows the user username@fastmail.com to receive email at anything@username.fastmail.com. However, if the username is compound, say firstname.lastname@fastmail.com, then the corresponding subdomain has more levels, anything@firstname.lastname.fastmail.com.

This also interacts with sub-folder filing, as mentioned by Adrian.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2015, 02:14 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
I think it is also because of sub-domain addressing. ... the corresponding subdomain has more levels, anything@firstname.lastname.fastmail.com.This also interacts with sub-folder filing, as mentioned by Adrian.
I respectfully disagree, since aliases with dots work exactly the same as other aliases when using subdomain addressing.
  • If the alias target is your account address (such as user@fastmail.com), then subdomain messages are delivered to the local-part folder name. So if the alias is a.b, email to test@a.b.user.fastmail.com is delivered to user+test@fastmail.com (your test folder).
  • If the alias target is your account address +* (such as user+*@fastmail.com), then subdomain messages are delivered to the alias+local-part folder name. So if the alias is a.b, email to test@a.b.user.fastmail.com is delivered to user+a.b.test@fastmail.com (your test subfolder under your b subfolder under your a folder, if it exists).
  • I tested this to confirm that this subdomain addressing worked exactly the same as with non-dotted aliases. So this can't be the reason for the limitation on the main address, and I'm sure that the Cyrus server separator is the reason.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2015, 04:46 AM   #6
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Yeah, its entirely because of the Cyrus name separator. '.' still has some magical properties in Cyrus. There's a plan to remove that but its a way off - there's more important Cyrus work ahead of it and not many Cyrus devs to go round
robn is offline   Reply With Quote