EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Aug 2014, 12:57 AM   #1
pfdstudio

Fastmail account blocked

Yesterday I received a couple of phishing attempts that appeared to be from Fastmail support, but which contained bogus links. I reported these to Fastmail support, and a few hours later, my account was locked. I got instructions to 1) change my password, and 2) file a support ticket to get the account re-opened.

I did both of these last night, but it's now been over 14 hours with no response from Fastmail at all. I can't access my account, and I can't seem to get any action on the ticket. Its status is "New - waiting for support to take."

Anyone know what's going on there? This is a major problem.

Thanks,
-pd
pfdstudio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 8 Aug 2014, 02:56 AM   #2
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdstudio View Post
Anyone know what's going on there? This is a major problem
What account do you have? With an Enhanced or Premier account you have priority support. I expect with priority, within 8 hours. Generally speaking, FM has a bad track record in response times.
Berenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2014, 03:05 AM   #3
pfdstudio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
What account do you have? With an Enhanced or Premier account you have priority support. I expect with priority, within 8 hours. Generally speaking, FM has a bad track record in response times.
Thanks. I have an Enhanced account.

I could understand long wait times for questions and other non-critical issues, but I have no access to my account. That seems pretty critical to me. Moreover, I don't know why it was blocked.
Old 8 Aug 2014, 03:38 AM   #4
pfdstudio

Now unlocked

Ok, my account has now been unlocked, a mere 18 hours after being locked.

They gave no reason for locking the account, and had the audacity to recommend that I be more careful of security, though there was, in fact, no security problem.
Old 8 Aug 2014, 05:50 AM   #5
werewolf
Essential Contributor

So far, other than an automated response, they haven't responded to my complaint. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow I'll start switching all my email over to Outlook free. Fastmail has been a big disappointment.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Aug 2014, 09:02 PM   #6
lane
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
So far, other than an automated response, they haven't responded to my complaint. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow I'll start switching all my email over to Outlook free. Fastmail has been a big disappointment.
Well, lots of luck getting a response from Microsoft, unless of course you will be using a paid plan.
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2014, 01:14 AM   #7
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
Well, lots of luck getting a response from Microsoft, unless of course you will be using a paid plan.

Microsoft? Is Fastmail part of Microsoft now? Anyway, I am using a paid FM plan, and not a word from them, so I'm going through the hassle of switching all my emails to free Outlook today. Signing up with Fastmail, and sending them money, and figuring out how to set up my own domain and all, was a big waste of time and a big disappointment. Screw you, Fastmail!
Old 9 Aug 2014, 01:26 AM   #8
chuckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane View Post
free or paid you pretty much don't need support if the email service like outlook that is consistently reliable. fatsmail on the other hand is frequently down, support is always on vacation.... perhaps FM stands for "frequent maintenance".
chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2014, 01:30 AM   #9
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
free or paid you pretty much don't need support if the email service like outlook that is consistently reliable. fatsmail on the other hand is frequently down, support is always on vacation.... perhaps FM stands for "frequent maintenance".
I had good old Yahoo free email (which has now been trashed) for many years and I don't recall ever needing support. It just worked, and it worked intuitively and smoothly.
Old 9 Aug 2014, 08:32 AM   #10
John Denison

Quote:
Ok, my account has now been unlocked, a mere 18 hours after being locked.
Thats quick. My wives account got block and it took three days for them to sort it. It caused her a back log of some 800 email and she's self-employed. This is after paying them some $165 to renew our family account some weeks beforehand.
John Denison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Aug 2014, 11:32 AM   #11
William9
The "e" in e-mail

I had an experience (a long time ago) where I had no access to my FM account for several days. That's why I stopped using FM for my business.
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2014, 02:58 AM   #12
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Microsoft? Is Fastmail part of Microsoft now?
No, but Outlook is . As others are saying, I'd expect little or no support if you take a free Outlook.com account. Exchange Online (paid) or Office 365 are different, there you can actually call them.
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2014, 10:44 AM   #13
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldk View Post
No, but Outlook is . As others are saying, I'd expect little or no support if you take a free Outlook.com account. Exchange Online (paid) or Office 365 are different, there you can actually call them.

I don't need any support if the email works properly. I never needed support on old yahoo email, for years. And I certainly don't need Fastmail's "enhanced support", the online equivalent to, "please do not hang up your call is important to us."
Old 10 Aug 2014, 02:58 PM   #14
paul29

I have the Enhanced account too and I have to agree that support response is rather slow in the scheme of things. I've filed 2 or 3 tickets and just lived with the delays, but I didn't have blocking issues like email access being locked. It does seem to me that FM should work on improving this. That said, I'm basically happy with FM as the stuff works pretty well without human intervention. I don't live my life around email so if there's a brief network outage or something, I can just sit it out. That happens with gmail too after all.
paul29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2014, 04:17 PM   #15
danieldk
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul29 View Post
That happens with gmail too after all.
I have used Google apps for years, and never had any noticeable downtime. And I do use email pretty much all day. The price is approximately the same as Fastmail, except that I'm grandfathered in one of the old free accounts. I also have an enormous amount of storage that I got when purchasing a Moto X.

I have a Fastmail account to see if it would be a worthwhile alternative. But between the slow support, lack of push, and IP blocks, I'll probably not renew after a year. Though I do think they're doing great stuff, contributing to Cyrus and such.
danieldk is offline   Reply With Quote