EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

Old 14 Jun 2020, 01:46 AM   #16
Tsunami
The "e" in e-mail

Location: in between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkn View Post
[*] There's no superfluous junk. It's purely mail. With the webmail you can of course store contacts, but there's no calendar, notes, collaboration portals, smart bookmarks, social mention streams, Dropbox integration, etc. etc.
That is wonderful! I don't like how everything seems to be integrated these days. I don't know if there are many other services out there that focus on only mail?
The pricing system is really good too.

I share the concerns though about continuity. One-person projects are risky. What if the person running the service falls ill? Or if he simply loses interest in maintaining an email service? I'd feel more secure using an email provider where at least a handful of people are working on it. When using a one-person project as provider, I'd at least make sure emails are backed up on regular basis.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jun 2020, 05:17 AM   #17
pandas

Signed up recently. Clean UI. I have been testing deliverability and looks good so far. 2FA implementation looks good with TOTP, backup codes and app passwords. Next on the list is testing custom domain support.
pandas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2021, 03:47 AM   #18
trussrod

What's your opinion on this service? Seriously considering it or Migadu...
trussrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2021, 01:52 PM   #19
rnkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by trussrod View Post
I've been with Purelymail for about a year now and I love it.

My only complaint is that I don't feel I'm paying enough for the service I receive. I wish there was a tip jar.
rnkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Mar 2021, 01:24 AM   #20
trussrod

Purelymail is working exceptionally well and Scott (the owner) is amazingly responsive. He even has a Discord server now, in order to have a more direct support.

Totally recommend the service for what I'm seeing... Zero downtime, emails arrive where they should and the prices are great
Old 18 Apr 2021, 05:10 AM   #21
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Migadu raised their prices a lot. I think the lowest tier is $19 per year, which is still reasonable, but not wild about their term "best effort support." In the past I tried Migadu and wasn't thrilled with the slow customer support. A few years ago.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Apr 2021, 07:52 PM   #22
TenFour
Master of the @

I tried using Purelymail last year and recently reupped at the $10 level to give it another try. At the price you might as well check them out. Very easy set up. One of the best at providing clear, concise steps walking you through adding MX, SPF, DKIM, DMARC, etc. Their configuration checker gives you confidence things will work properly, and they did very quickly. I like the fact you can add multiple domains, multiple mailboxes, multiple aliases, etc. without having to jump to some other more expensive level. If you use too many resources you will be moved to the pay for what you use level, which seems eminently fair and transparent. The most important thing is that so far everything just works as it is supposed to with no mail delivery issues at all. My emails score well using various online mail testers.
Old 27 Apr 2021, 04:37 AM   #23
trussrod

Still using it and best service for my usage
Old 27 Apr 2021, 01:31 PM   #24
rnkn

Quote:
My only complaint is that I don't feel I'm paying enough for the service I receive. I wish there was a tip jar.
Following a few user requests, Scott has now added a way to send donations/tips, which I've been happy to do: https://purelymail.com/docs/faq#donation

I have had some isolated delivery issues, but they've always been due to some scammy incompetent "enterprise solution" middlemen on the other end. I refuse to concede to blame Purelymail for this.
Old 28 Apr 2021, 08:00 AM   #25
rscaramelo

I'm intrigued too about this email option. I paid the $10 mainly to support this and am now tinkering with it. I think I share the same concerns however that someone else brought up about it being a one man show. What does happen if something happens to him or lord forbid he take a vacation
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Apr 2021, 12:50 PM   #26
rnkn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscaramelo View Post
I think I share the same concerns however that someone else brought up about it being a one man show. What does happen if something happens to him or lord forbid he take a vacation
People trust much more important things to individuals: your doctor, lawyer, accountant, therapist, etc.

I think there is a misconception about web servers that they need constant supervision and maintenance. Once set up, a web server may function for years without any human intervention.

You can see how rare problems occur here: https://news.purelymail.com/status.html
Old 28 Apr 2021, 07:21 PM   #27
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Once set up, a web server may function for years without any human intervention.
The key word in that sentence is "may." In the case of the email server you might lose your emails forever, you might miss that job offer you had been waiting for, you might miss an important bill. With a service like this you must set it up in a way that your emails are backed up somewhere else and it is easy for you to switch to another provider quickly if needed. In my case I POP the emails to Gmail and I am using my own domain so I could quickly change the DNS records to point to another provider.
Old 1 May 2021, 02:37 AM   #28
rscaramelo

Quote:
People trust much more important things to individuals: your doctor, lawyer, accountant, therapist, etc.

I think there is a misconception about web servers that they need constant supervision and maintenance. Once set up, a web server may function for years without any human intervention.

You can see how rare problems occur here: https://news.purelymail.com/status.html
I was only half joking. I actually started using it in earnest right after posting that. I had a minor issue and sent an email which was replied to within an hour. I changed over to Purelymail right after that fulltime. I have my domain there and migrated my old email. Everything is clean and quick with them. I am so pleased that I sent him an additional $10. This is a bargain.
rscaramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2021, 07:06 PM   #29
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

I decided to give Purelymail a try, and paid my $10 - I know I could have requested a trial account but decided to show my support for the product.

A couple of questions:

What do I do (if anything) with the API Key?

Trusted Devices:

Quote:
Currently, this is limited to devices for which you have active Webmail sessions. They will not require 2FA while logged in. You can revoke their trusted status at any time. As a current limitation, webmail sessions you have logged out of may still appear here.
I assume that means that you should be able to log in to webmail without supplying a TOTP code, but I am getting asked for the code every time. Am I misunderstanding this?
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2021, 09:03 PM   #30
ScottPurelymail

Hey all- owner here. One of my users directed me to this thread and I thought I might as well answer questions, so ask away.

Quote:
What do I do (if anything) with the API Key?
Nothing much at the moment. If you have a need for some sort of API feature, you'd just contact me and let me know. I'm building the API as people need it.

Quote:
I assume that means that you should be able to log in to webmail without supplying a TOTP code, but I am getting asked for the code every time. Am I misunderstanding this?
Most likely your browser isn't saving cookies, which is why you'd have to log in every time.
ScottPurelymail is offline   Reply With Quote