EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Nov 2006, 12:17 AM   #1
mentiro

Notepad enhancements

I'm not sure about others, but I use the notepad to track all kinds of information that I don't have stored anywhere else.

I'd love any of the following enhancements:
  • A way to backup or export all notepad entries. I'm always worried I'll delete something on accident and would like a way to download them all to my computer.
  • A confirmation when you press delete. It is right next to the select button and too easy to delete. Especially without the previous enhancement or a way to undelete.
  • Rich text editing or to-do list support. Think something akin to backpack. Basically something to make information easier to organize.
mentiro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Nov 2006, 01:02 AM   #2
miket

I remember reading that notes do not get backed up. since then, I've transfered all my notes to the Drafts folder, and create new notes as drafts.

not ideal, I know, but I can't risk losing my notes! if Notes do get backed up, please reply, as it is a little cumbersome to use drafts this way
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2006, 02:50 AM   #3
NJSS
Master of the @

Maybe as alternatives to Drafts you could store your notes as Templates, or in the File Store?
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2006, 05:53 AM   #4
MagicDavid

I support all three suggestions. If markup in the notepad was considered I'd vote for Textile (http://www.textism.com/tools/textile/) - I love it!
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Nov 2006, 03:32 PM   #5
newhampshire

There was as similar discussion on this topic a month or so ago. My suggestion at the time was not to use Fastmail Notepad and use

your_account+notes@fastmail.fm

So email your notes and have them file into the notes folder. This way you can spell check and search your notes (cannot do either with FastMail Notepad).

You can even with some work edit your notes if you resend with edits to yourself.

You can then backup your notes with IMAPSize, etc.
newhampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:16 PM   #6
dwhitmore

It would also be nice to be able to organize notes in folders, using an expandable menu system similar to the email folders...

Dale
dwhitmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2006, 04:36 AM   #7
mentiro

Quote:
My suggestion at the time was not to use Fastmail Notepad and use your_account+notes@fastmail.fm
Definitely a good idea - but come on Fastmail, it wouldn't be hard to enhance the notepad functionality. For example, how hard can it be to offer a link that lets you download or restore all of your notepad entries as XML or HTML, etc.

If it warrants one of the primary links at the top of the mailbox, you'd think it would warrant a little bit more work to make it really effective.
mentiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2007, 04:07 AM   #8
dswalef

I second that

I agree, a feature request for:
  • Searching through notes (yielding search results for every note, with the words found appearing in an extract in bold)
  • Organise notes into folders (including a root folder, a default note, sort notes manually)
dswalef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2007, 04:38 AM   #9
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I also vote for notepad improvements. These sound good to me.

Bill
n5bb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Aug 2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Sherry

Not sure if this should be here in the notes thread or for a compose improvement but since it has to do with notes I'll stick it here.
I would like the ability to insert the "quick notes" at the cursor when composing (instead of appending them).

Sherry
Sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 01:48 AM   #11
sbiczach

I vote for "clickable" urls in the notepad.
sbiczach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 02:31 AM   #12
David
Ultimate Contributor

I vote for the ability to 'import' all my memos and tasks (from Palm Desktop) into 'notepad'
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Aug 2007, 02:36 AM   #13
MagicDavid

How about a bit of wiki-style markup (like Textile) see:
www.writeboard.com
MagicDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2007, 01:08 AM   #14
Random832

My two cents - I think that they should integrate the notepad with the file store - move the existing notes to a folder, and provide a text editor for "in place" editing in the file store.
Random832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Aug 2007, 01:44 AM   #15
David
Ultimate Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random832 View Post
My two cents - I think that they should integrate the notepad with the file store - move the existing notes to a folder, and provide a text editor for "in place" editing in the file store.
That's a great idea, and would allow us to easily edit all our files (not just the notepad ones)
David is offline   Reply With Quote