EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 24 Aug 2015, 07:54 PM   #1
nMarco92

Can't get GMX SMTP server to work in any client

As the title says, I can not send any email with my gmx.com from any client I have tried so far, and these are:
  • Outlook 2013 and 2016 preview
  • Thunderbird 38
  • eM Client 6
  • MailBird 3

I have tried port 25, port 465 and port 587 with STARTTLS where available (TLS when not available). All the email clients are allowed by Windows 10's Firewall.

Any hints?
nMarco92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24 Aug 2015, 08:54 PM   #2
che

You can find the server settings here:

https://help.gmx.com/en/applications/imap.html#servers

What error do you get? Have you enabled authentication?
che is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2015, 08:56 PM   #3
nMarco92

Update

Here's a little update.

I have signed up for a new email account at gmx.de and created a @gmx.net account.
It works, it just works. Apparently GMX may have taken down the SMTP mail.gmx.com.

I have also tried sending an email with the account I am having problems from my Android phone with the official GMX client and it works. Looks like it is impossible at the current state to use a client on a PC if you are a gmx.com user.

Is anyone experiencing the same problem?
Old 24 Aug 2015, 08:57 PM   #4
nMarco92

Quote:
Originally Posted by che View Post
You can find the server settings here:

https://help.gmx.com/en/applications/imap.html#servers

What error do you get? Have you enable authentication?
I followed them and it doesn't work. I followed the same instruction in german for the .net server (the ports and encryption settings are the same) and it works. There's a problem with the .com domain.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 09:20 PM   #5
che

Quote:
Originally Posted by nMarco92 View Post
Apparently GMX may have taken down the SMTP mail.gmx.com.
The server is available and accepts connections but does not reply to any smtp command. But the same happens with mail.gmx.net.

I no longer have a gmx account so I cannot debug further. Maybe you have to connect to imap/pop3 first before the smtp server speaks to you.
Old 24 Aug 2015, 09:20 PM   #6
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
GMX.net/de whose smtp/pop3/imap work on special locations (ie, within German).
most other locations (ie,china) can't access them.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Aug 2015, 11:45 PM   #7
nMarco92

Maybe this could be the cause?
Until a few weeks ago I was living in Italy and I had always used Thunderbird with gmx.com to send and receive, now that I live in Germany I can receive emails but I am unable to send them. Could a VPN subsription solve this problem?

By the way I always sync email with IMAP. I tried solving the problem by fetching them via POP3 but the problem stands: I can receive but not send.

EDIT

The following is the error message I get:

Quote:
An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: Cannot connect to SMTP server 212.227.17.174 (212.227.17.174:587), connect error 10060.

Last edited by nMarco92 : 24 Aug 2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 12:08 AM   #8
nMarco92

Update

I may have solved this in a weird way -- at least to me!
What I basically did is set as outgoing server mail.gmx.net instead of mail.gmx.com and it does work, it works properly. This is so weird.
Old 25 Aug 2015, 07:48 PM   #9
che

Quote:
Originally Posted by che View Post
The server is available and accepts connections but does not reply to any smtp command. But the same happens with mail.gmx.net.

I no longer have a gmx account so I cannot debug further. Maybe you have to connect to imap/pop3 first before the smtp server speaks to you.
Please ignore. The GMX SMTP servers require -crlf switch when connecting with 'openssl s_client'. Then both mail.gmx.com and mail.gmx.com work.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 02:07 PM   #10
Pacdoc

Not all GMX email services are the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by nMarco92 View Post
Here's a little update.

I have signed up for a new email account at gmx.de and created a @gmx.net account.
It works, it just works. Apparently GMX may have taken down the SMTP mail.gmx.com.

I have also tried sending an email with the account I am having problems from my Android phone with the official GMX client and it works. Looks like it is impossible at the current state to use a client on a PC if you are a gmx.com user.

Is anyone experiencing the same problem?
It is my experience that GMX.COM is not related to the German GMX.DE and GMX.NET
Pacdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2015, 07:09 AM   #11
Tim79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacdoc View Post
It is my experience that GMX.COM is not related to the German GMX.DE and GMX.NET
Then your experience misleads you. It is the same company. Only infrastructure for gmx.com is a bit different to the one operating gmx.de, gmx.li, gmx.ch, gmx.net and the other country specific brands.

1&1 kind of blocks access/signup to gmx.com for anyone in their main markets. It's their (international) alternative for not yet developed markets. (In terms of developed by them)
Tim79 is offline   Reply With Quote