EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 15 May 2019, 11:33 AM   #16
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Use subdomain if you get random alias spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Deleted aliases in your own domain are much less of a problem than when they are in one of FastMail's domains. You can avoid lost email just by having a catch all alias (albeit at a cost of receiving some spam sometimes).
I don’t notice very many random alias spam messages to my personal domain these days, probably because Fastmail is blocking more messages at the SMTP acceptance stage. So a few months ago I re-enabled my own domain wildcard alias, and very rarely see any dictionary spam to my domain. Since I allow messages sent to any alias at my domain, a true dictionary spammer trying random or commonly used aliases would be obvious, and they might not be caught at the SMTP stage since they aren’t sending to non-existing addresses in an obvious manner.

If you want to disable the wildcard alias so that dictionary random attacks fail, here is what you can do:
  • Create an alias which is unusual so won’t be found by a random attack.
  • Choose to allow subdomain messages near the bottom of the Domains page. I use the first choice, which delivers messages sent to a subdomain to that alias. So messages sent to test@sub.example.com are by default delivered to sub+test@example.com.
  • You then have an additional choice on the Aliases page of the delivery target for the sub@example.com alias.
    • If the delivery target of the alias corresponding to the subdomain (“sub” in my example) is directly to your Fastmail account (you@fastmail.xxxx), the subdomain name is ignored and the final delivery to a folder (shown by the X-Resolved-To header) will be to you+test@fastmail.xxxx, which attempts to deliver the message to your “test” folder.
    • If the delivery target for the alias corresponding to the subdomain (“sub” in my example) includes +* (plus asterisk), the subdomain name is used for the top-level folder target and the final delivery to a folder (shown by the X-Resolved-To header) will be to you+sub.test@fastmail.xxxx, which attempts to deliver the message to the “test” subfolder of your “sub” folder. I find this very useful, since all of the messages sent to that subdomain end up in the folder corresponding to that subdomain name (or a subfolder),
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote