EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 5 Apr 2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Martinbus

Bounced Email incomplete

Hope someone can help. Sent a gmail email message. Thinking it had gone, I removed the original. No need to go into why, just know IT IS GONE.

Message bounced back, but the bounced message copy of the email stops mid-sentence and is incomplete. Would help me a great deal to have a complete copy of the original. Is there any way to retrieve the whole message?

It has all the bounced email stuff at the top. Is there anything there to lead me to the whole message? I do get a couple of paragraphs, but thats it. Any help gratefully received.
Martinbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Apr 2012, 01:09 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

I assume you use the web interface.
If you delete a message in Gmail it goes to Bin and stays there for 30 days, unless you explicitly scrap it for good. Did you check your Bin?
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2012, 02:10 AM   #3
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

s/Bin/Trash

Also check if the bounce has an attachment. Sometimes the original message is returned as an attachment.

If you deleted the message from Trash and it's really important, I think I heard that there's a way to ask Google to restore it. But I'm not sure how that works.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2012, 02:10 AM   #4
Martinbus

Thank you for your comment. When I say it is GONE, I do mean it is gone. I was using someone else's computer at the time, and decided to delete it permanently. I assumed it had been delivered and as it was confidential, I did not leave it on the gmail site, as there is more than one admin on that account. My mistake I know, but the email did bounce back, and part of it is in the bounced message. Why am I not seeing it all? It stops mid-sentence after about 5 paragraphs. How can I view the whole message? That is what I very much need to know.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 02:38 AM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinbus View Post
Why am I not seeing it all? It stops mid-sentence after about 5 paragraphs..
That's not unusual for bounced messages. The assumption is that the first few lines should be sufficient for the sender to identify the message and take appropriate remedial steps.
Assuming of course the original was still available...
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2012, 04:38 AM   #6
Martinbus

There is sadly no attachment. Presuming they send part of it, the rest must be somewhere. There are a number of email addresses in the message:

they look like this:

<CAOHXo3YQRMuNcnLAMA70xCc3sg3xYb0oYBU9iPwf02nkzUZQKA@mail.gmail.com>

any use using these to request the whole message? Just wondering.
Old 5 Apr 2012, 08:30 AM   #7
kijinbear
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
There is sadly no attachment. Presuming they send part of it, the rest must be somewhere.
No, the rest is probably gone. As @janusz said, whichever program produced that bounce is under no obligation to include the entire message with the bounce notification. Whatever was included was purely a matter of courtesy, to make it easier for people to figure out which message bounced.

Quote:
<CAOHXo3YQRMuNcnLAMA70xCc3sg3xYb0oYBU9iPwf02nkzUZQKA@mail.gmail.com>
That's a Message ID. It's not an e-mail address, although it looks like one. (The fact that it looks like an e-mail address is an unfortunate coincidence that confuses a lot of people.) A Message ID is used by certain programs to uniquely identify e-mail messages. It's like a serial number for e-mails. Still, if you're lucky enough, you might be able to use that Message ID to tell somebody exactly which message you want to recover -- provided that someone at Google is willing to help you and you can figure out which Message ID corresponds to the one you've deleted.

According to Google, you can't recover deleted messages "using the Gmail interface", but they do have a form that you can fill out to request recovery of deleted messages. Maybe it's worth trying that. Give them as many details as possible, including the Message ID if possible.

https://support.google.com/mail/bin/...n&answer=78353
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2012, 05:20 PM   #8
bramhall
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post
they do have a form that you can fill out to request recovery of deleted messages. Maybe it's worth trying that. Give them as many details as possible, including the Message ID if possible.
Of course there is no harm in trying. But if the sent message was deleted a few minutes after sending, it's conceivable it never had a chance to be backed up.
bramhall is offline   Reply With Quote