EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Apr 2017, 06:54 AM   #46
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

OK, still no reply from my second ticket at Support, so I am leaving. What web-based email do you guys recommend -- besides gmail? I just want an easy email address for the newsletters. May leave altogether because FastMail has totally given up any kind of learning. I have been "teaching" FM for two years about what goes into which folders, a problem I never used to have with FM. It still cannot distinguish between my three addresses. I don't want to fool with this any longer, so please chime in with your thoughts on other email services I can use. Many thanks...
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 10:51 AM   #47
chickadee

Zoho Mail should fill the bill, noclue. Here's a review:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/service...s/zoho-review/
chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 11:44 AM   #48
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Noclue what about using you local ISP mailbox service for some of your mail
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Apr 2017, 05:17 PM   #49
noclue

I was checking out Zoho last night, so now I'll seriously check it out. Thank you, chickadee. I'll read the review you posted as well. I wonder if they sell emails to the highest bidder? I will be using this email for stuff that could get me in trouble during times like these. Nothing naughty! Just things open to interpretation.

Terry, I am running Windows 10, and if I use Windows mail I get stuck with reattaching a whole bunch of stuff (like all my pictures) to accommodate it. I am not smart with any of this. And, besides, I had Windows Live or whatever back in the XP days. Was not a fan.

Last edited by noclue : 29 Apr 2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 06:03 PM   #50
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Ok, I thought perhaps you could use your browser to pick up your mail (web mail) like you can with Hotmail etc. I use Firefox to collect my local ISP's mail.

Last edited by Terry : 29 Apr 2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 06:53 PM   #51
noclue

I spent three hours trying to figure out how to use Thunderbird. Imfigured I'd have to download Firefox, so I failed at that. Then I got two pages into Thuhderbird (without Firefox), and I was asked for my email address. But how can I sign up for an email that wants my email address BEFORE I sign up with them? I figured Thunderbird is one of those "shells" where you have to have a gmail or other account. Got too complicated for this thimble brain.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 09:46 PM   #52
chickadee

I suggest you do the following, noclue:

(1) Sign up for a free Zoho Mail account.

(2) Have your newsletters sent to your Zoho Mail address.

(3) See if the newsletters arrive in your Zoho Mail Inbox. If they do, you can have them POP-fetched by your FastMail account. (You don't have to have FastMail retrieve them, of course.)

(4) If you want your FastMail account to fetch the newsletters, you must first go to your Zoho Mail account to "enable" POP access to the account. To enable POP access, see the following:

https://www.zoho.com/mail/help/pop-access.html

(5) After you have enabled POP access to your Zoho Mail account, go to your FastMail account and configure a POP Link for your Zoho Mail account by using the following settings:

Incoming Server Name: pop.zoho.com
Port: 995
Require SSL: Yes
Username: username@zoho.com

Also, be sure to "leave" messages in your Zoho Mail account (that is, leave them on the Zoho Mail server).

Remember, steps 4 and 5 above are "optional." You can choose "not" to have FastMail retrieve your newsletters. I included steps 4 and 5 solely to save you from having to log in to your Zoho Mail account to read your newsletters.

Should you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 29 Apr 2017, 11:38 PM   #53
TenFour
Master of the @

Quote:
Noclue what about using you local ISP mailbox service for some of your mail
IMHO local ISP email tends to be unreliable and prone to sending you viruses, etc. I avoid it like the plague, and they tend to disappear overnight. Plus, I have zero confidence someone isn't amusing themselves reading my emails.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2017, 06:12 AM   #54
noclue

Well, I've hit a snag with Zoho. One cannot sign up without a cell phone number. Incredibly, I do not have one. I couldn't find out any way to register without one.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 07:41 AM   #55
TenFour
Master of the @

Zoho looks like a good free offering, and I have experimented with them briefly. However, there are many Internet reports (always reliable, ha!) about deliverability and system issues with Zoho. What's wrong with using some Gmail address for the newsletter? You don't need to use it for everything. In my experience Gmail has the best deliverability of all providers. Think of it--nobody can block all Gmail addresses or they block half the world!
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Apr 2017, 08:31 AM   #56
noclue

Good point, TenFour. I hadn't thought about it that way. My problem with Google is their tendency to share emails with corporations and the government. Maybe they aren't doing that anymore, but there is no way to know.

Thanks for the zoho deliverability information. That's important to know since that's the problem I am trying to avoid!

Has anyone heard of Bullet Mail? Came across it in an advanced search. I'd never heard of it before.
Old 30 Apr 2017, 10:18 AM   #57
chickadee

I have never had a cell phone, noclue. When I signed up for my Zoho Mail account, the dinosaurs were still roaming the earth, and no mobile number was required. (Oh, those were "exciting" days, let me assure you.)

From what I read on the Zoho Mail site just now, a mobile number is required to receive a confirmation code during the registration process. After an account is opened, a mobile number is no longer necessary. I know that because my Zoho Mail account has been working for many years even though I have had no cell phone, as I said.

Do you have a friend or family member with a cell phone who can be with you when you register for a Zoho Mail account? If so, the problem is solved. (After your account is opened, you can choose never to speak to that friend or family member again. In fact, I urge you to become estranged from that person. Just kidding!)
Old 30 Apr 2017, 02:46 PM   #58
noclue

That's a great idea, chickadee! I know just the person for the job, but I don't think I would never speak to her again! That is, unless Zoho starts plugging up her cell phone with unwanted stuff in which case she would never speak to me again...

Is Zoho the Google of Europe?
Old 30 Apr 2017, 03:18 PM   #59
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Dont think so..

ZOHO Corporation
4141 Hacienda Drive
Pleasanton, CA 94588, USA
Phone: +1-925-924-9500
Fax: +1-925-924-9600 .....:
Old 30 Apr 2017, 04:26 PM   #60
noclue

What was I thinking?!? Or was I thinking at all? It seems like a big company, and since I'd never heard of it before I just assumed that it had to be foreign or something -- I, who know next to nothing about things tech.

In my heart of hearts, I wish FM would just fix the problem. It was my first email love, and you know how first loves get under your skin.