EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Mar 2018, 12:26 AM   #1
Gsptlsnz

Question How To Save Sent Emails In Different Folders?

is there a way to save sent emails in different folders according to who the recipient is?

like this...

Any email I send to Tom Smith gets saved and pinned in a folder labeled "Tom"

Any email I send to Dick Jones gets saved and pinned in a folder labeled "Dick"

Any email I send to Harry Wilson gets saved and pinned in a folder labeled "Harry"

Is it possible to make a filter that does this? Or can there be only one "Save To" folder? I want to keep all correspondence together in one place.
Gsptlsnz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Mar 2018, 05:41 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

It is not possible to solve your problem in exactly the way you envisage. You need to control the folder used for saving sent emails using Identities. You can create an essentially unlimited number of Identities with different From addresses and Sent folders. This includes multiple Identities with the same From address, but different Sent folders. To achieve what you want, you need to establish Identities with suitable names to make it easy to remember the purpose of each one. When sending an email, you must choose the correct Identity depending on the From address and Sent folder you wish to be used.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Mar 2018, 05:49 AM   #3
Gsptlsnz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
To achieve what you want, you need to establish Identities with suitable names to make it easy to remember the purpose of each one...
Ok, this is where things get too messy for me.
I was hoping for a quick fix with filters.
Old 5 Mar 2018, 11:41 AM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsptlsnz View Post
Ok, this is where things get too messy for me.
I was hoping for a quick fix with filters.
There is no such thing as Rules or filters that fire at the time you hit Send on an email. If, however, you have a bunch of messages in the regular Sent folder that meet whatever conditions you choose, you can use a Search to select them, and then move them all to another folder of your choice. Actually, I have found my customers usually happy with a few Identities that handle high volume messages, combined with manually moving individual messages between folders when the volume does not justify setting up an Identity.

There is another approach that is possible, but quite tricky to set up successfully. It combines the use of auto BCC on all your Identities with regular Rules. The idea is that if a BCC delivers an email with a delivery address of <yourname>+SentFolderDelivery@fastmail.com, you can then combine detection of this x-Delivered-to and other conditions to handle storing in the correct folder. Before trying to implement this, ensure you are ready for an extended debugging session.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2018, 03:28 AM   #5
Gsptlsnz

Seems easier to manually bulk copy the emails.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 09:30 AM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Associating folders with identities

I’m trying to not use folders as much, and just leave sent messages in the Archive and Sent folders. You can save search setups, and searches can help you find messages from certain people or companies or with other characteristics. I have over 10 GB of messages in my main account, and I find that searches for From addresses and subjects are pretty fast.
  • To quickly search for messages from a person, use parenthesis around the name, such as:
  • To quickly search for messages containing a certain subject string, use parenthesis around the subject text, such as:
    subject:(field day)
But I do auto-file messages sent to certain aliases into particular folders, and I want to keep both new messages and replies I send related to that topic in that same folder. Here are the tricks I use which are a modification to the advice of BritTim:
  • First, if your Mail Preferences are set to Group messages with their replies, you will see your sent message adjacent to the original incoming message.
  • In addition to setting an Identity which saves the sent message to a particular folder, you can set the properties of a folder so that while you are reading messages in that folder, composing a new message will use a preselected Identity.
  • So here is how this all works for me:
    • Some incoming messages are auto-filed into specific folders. This is done via alias targeting, subdomain addressing or plus+addressing, or rules.
    • If I open one of those folders and reply to a message (or compose a new message from scratch), my Identity is automatically set due to the Folder setup. The Identity sets both the From address to my alias associated with that folder, and saves the sent message to that same folder.
    • I often want to send messages to a group when using folders in this manner. I have some group addresses set up in my address book, and I just enter “group “ followed by a few characters of the group name to find the group address identifier.
    • The combination of these features lets me keep all email traffic associated with a topic (such as a hobby or club or family or work group) in a specific folder for that topic. And the group addressing feature lets me send to an address list associated with that folder.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2018, 04:49 AM   #7
Gsptlsnz

I tried the "Group Emails" option but didn't find it very helpful. It's easier to keep the emails in separate folders.