EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Feb 2020, 11:44 PM   #1
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Copy Paste Problem

When I copy an article FM clips some off each side. Is there anyway to extend FM to cover full width ? Thanks for any help
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 Feb 2020, 12:19 AM   #2
somdcomputerguy
Cornerstone of the Community

Is this a screenshot or a text copy? Reducing the font size may resolve this.

- Bruce

Last edited by somdcomputerguy : 9 Feb 2020 at 12:49 AM.
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2020, 12:44 AM   #3
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks Bruce My problem is i copy a page like a newspaper page of an article of interest that i am sending to another person. I have another acct that shows complete page but i prefer my FM acct if i can get it to quit clipping a word or two off each side off page I appreciate your prompt response
Old 9 Feb 2020, 12:53 AM   #4
somdcomputerguy

Hmm, I'd love to be able to help you more, but I don't really understand the details of the problem. Maybe just send the address of the page itself?

- Bruce
Old 9 Feb 2020, 04:04 AM   #5
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

hard to decide url of a newspaper article. if there was a way to make compose page a bit wider this might solve problem.
Old 9 Feb 2020, 06:09 AM   #6
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheprd View Post
hard to decide url of a newspaper article. if there was a way to make compose page a bit wider this might solve problem.
Oh sorry, I was assuming it was an online page, oops. I don't know how to change the size of the compose page. Sorry I can't be of some help to you.

- Bruce
Old 9 Feb 2020, 06:45 AM   #7
gardenweed

Quote:
Thanks Bruce My problem is i copy a page like a newspaper page of an article of interest that i am sending to another person. I have another acct that shows complete page but i prefer my FM acct if i can get it to quit clipping a word or two off each side off page I appreciate your prompt response
It would help if you described more completely the way you are copying the newspaper article.
For example are you using Snipping Tool to copy an image of the article, or are you selecting text with the cursor and then using Ctrl C ... or some other method?
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Feb 2020, 07:37 AM   #8
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks again Bruce and gardenweed I am highlighting a page and using Ctrl C to copy an article. and the compose page of FM is not very wide therefor it clips a letter or two off each side of the page sometimes more than a letter or two. Back in the good ol days the Compose page of FM was much wider. My other acct has a full screen on the Compose page therefore no problems. Thanks again for your help I appreciate your responses. Maybe here is no solution.
Old 9 Feb 2020, 08:07 AM   #9
gardenweed

Quote:
Thanks again Bruce and gardenweed I am highlighting a page and using Ctrl C to copy an article. and the compose page of FM is not very wide therefor it clips a letter or two off each side of the page sometimes more than a letter or two. Back in the good ol days the Compose page of FM was much wider. My other acct has a full screen on the Compose page therefore no problems. Thanks again for your help I appreciate your responses. Maybe here is no solution.
I've tried to replicate the problem you describe using articles from a couple of local newspapers here.
I find that when I paste the article, the text just reflows to fit the compose screen and no words are cut off or lost.

Maybe post a link to a newspaper that you have issues with & I'll try with that - assuming I can access an article to test.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2020, 05:41 PM   #10
chrisretusn

Sounds like you are copying the news article text from a web page. I don't use FastMail (considering it though), I am guessing you are pasting to a compose window in FastMail. Sometimes browsers like to include the formatting with pasted text. Try pasting using <shift><ctrl-v>. Also make sure your grabbing all of the text you are trying to copy.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2020, 10:51 PM   #11
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

Thanks chrisretusn Your method does the job. It eliminates clipping the edges of a pasted article Thank ypu so much I was ready to give up.
Old 11 Feb 2020, 08:17 AM   #12
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Lightbulb

Wow !
Shift+Ctrl+V pastes text only without formatting!
I never knew that!
That is fantastically useful!
Thank you!
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2020, 08:36 AM   #13
somdcomputerguy

I forgot all about mentioning that key combination, I have only had to use it once or twice in my 35+ years of enjoying a plate of CopyPasta! I'm glad your issue has been resolved, sheprd. I would say though, to you and anyone else that reads this thread, that adding the <shift> key works with any 'paste from clipboard' hotkey combination, even a context menu or a programs Edit toolbar selection.

- Bruce
Old 11 Feb 2020, 10:14 AM   #14
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I thank all you fine posters who shared your opinions
Old 11 Feb 2020, 05:25 PM   #15
chrisretusn

Glad it worked. I use that trick a lot.
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote