EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Feb 2017, 04:27 AM   #1
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Alias lists don't match

I had a need to choose an alias for an email today. I clicked the dropdown to choose the one I wanted and found that the dropdown list on the composing screen contained some aliases that I have long ago deleted and it is missing some that I have created and that appear elsewhere. Among the missing is the one I wanted to use; it appears in the "alias" list under "Settings" but it does no appear in the dropdown on the composing screen nor in "Identities & Fetch". That alias can receive mail sent from other clients or other aliases and I can send FROM it if I enter it manually but I can't select it from the dropdown since it doesn't appear there.

Any idea how I can straighten out these lists and bring them into agreement with each other. I've tried the usually deleting of cookies and logging out and in but that did not address the issue.

Last edited by m46ah_30 : 27 Feb 2017 at 05:12 AM. Reason: clarity and added information
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Feb 2017, 06:56 PM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

This whole area can be quite confusing. The first thing to understand is that everythiung changed last year, and what used to be aliases are no longer aliases. Briefly, the current situation is as follows ...

Aliases basically only control message delivery. You must have Identities set up to be able to select them when sending email. Often, when you create an Alias, an Identity is automatically created at the same time (often when you do not want it to happen) but Aliases and Identities are separate. Thus, to sort out the mess, you need to edit your Identities.

If you need a fuller explanation, I will let Bill do it as he is much better at these things than I am.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2017, 07:40 PM   #3
m46ah_30
Essential Contributor

Thanks!

That did it. I knew from Classic that there was a difference between the alias and the identity and that creating an alias did not automatically create the idnetity. What confused me was the inclusion of "fetch from" in the identities. Did not want to fetch from... I wanted to send from! But I created one anyway for the missing alias and it now appears where I expect it to be in the composing screen "From" dropdown.

Last edited by m46ah_30 : 28 Feb 2017 at 08:39 PM. Reason: clarity
m46ah_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2017, 12:45 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

What's confusing is the name of that screen. It should be called Sending Identities and the Fetch feature (retrieval from other services using POP3) should probably be at the bottom of the Mail Preferences screen.

The Aliases screen is currently described at the top of that page as:
"Aliases are extra email addresses that redirect mail to one or more users".
I would reword that to:
"Aliases are extra email addresses that redirect incoming mail to one or more users".

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Mar 2017, 09:34 PM   #5
Merovingian
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
What's confusing is the name of that screen. It should be called Sending Identities and the Fetch feature (retrieval from other services using POP3) should probably be at the bottom of the Mail Preferences screen.

The Aliases screen is currently described at the top of that page as:
"Aliases are extra email addresses that redirect mail to one or more users".
I would reword that to:
"Aliases are extra email addresses that redirect incoming mail to one or more users".

Bill
Excellent suggestion. This has been an area of confusion for quite a while.
Merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote