EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Mar 2017, 07:01 AM   #16
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

You are probably all correct, I was just going on what this states.

https://www.fastmail.com/help/techni...sandports.html

Your app-specific password. You cannot use your regular FastMail password

I was just trying to help....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2017, 10:46 AM   #17
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfolson View Post
Terry, I'm assuming when you set up your new Thunderbird account, you used the new servers, which is why you needed an application password. I can attest to the fact that e-mail clients set up with messagingengine.com continue to work just fine without a separate password.
To be fair, there's a good chance this happened automatically. The records in the auto-discovery XML file that FastMail publishes (as well as the DNS SRV records, although they're not as widely used by email clients) are the new server names, so anybody setting up Thunderbird and simply entering a FastMail e-mail address (or one from their own custom domain), will get the new server names automatically and therefore have to use an app-specific password.

Realistically, FastMail wants to move people to the new app-specific passwords; the old password system continues to be supported by the old messagingengine.com servers mostly to avoid breaking the e-mail connectivity for folks who haven't gotten the memo about the changes. Essentially, new users aren't even supposed to know about the old server names — if you go to FastMail's Server Names and Ports document, the only references to "messagingengine.com" that remain in there are the proxy servers for bypassing firewalls. So technically speaking, if you're reading that document, it's entirely correct.... the legacy password support is mostly just a concession to existing users.
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Mar 2017, 11:12 AM   #18
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I wouldn't be surprised if FastMail was forcing the new server names on a rolling basis. In the blog post from July 2016 announcing the new system, you will see:
Quote:
We will gradually help existing customers to upgrade to the new system for all apps over the coming months, but there will be no change immediately.
There are reasons to make the change for security reasons, so I suggest that everyone go ahead and move the to new system before you are forced to.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Mar 2017, 02:05 AM   #19
elvey
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcuy999 View Post
Tried sending email via web interface and get "not permitted to send mail" warning.

Ticket is 2310544
No one commenting [correction: except Terry] seems to have picked up on this part of the OP's comment. I got this error recently and it was because my payment form on file didn't work. Solution was to pay my bill.

Solution posted here: http://www.emaildiscussions.com/showthread.php?t=72318 . (Other problem there is still unresolved.)
elvey is offline   Reply With Quote