EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 26 Apr 2005, 08:57 AM   #1
dantheman
Cornerstone of the Community

Opera mail client problem

Opera browser and its mail client are pretty cool, but one of the major stumbling blocks that stop me from making it my default mail client is the fact that it can't block large file attachments from coming in.

Like, i wanted to change this post but one thing after another, with dial-up it made it rather difficult to make it in time!

An IMAP mail account is a possible workaround, but it's only a partial solution.

Last edited by dantheman : 26 Apr 2005 at 06:55 PM.
dantheman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26 Apr 2005, 08:33 PM   #2
injinuity

I love opera as a browser but as a mail client its rather limited... I find it wanting.... hey d/l Opera 8.0 .... its reallllllly good.
injinuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2005, 04:45 AM   #3
Webgenie

Opera M2 was hard to get used to at first, but now I wouldn't want to use any other e-mail client. The speed and integration with the browser are the main reasons. If for some reason I couldn't use M2, I'd have to use webmail.
Webgenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2005, 06:53 AM   #4
euroman

Why on earth pay for an email client when you can have the wolrd's best - Firefox and Thurnderbird for free? I object to paying nearly $75aud for a browser without adverts. From what I read it doesn't even work as well as firefox.
euroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Webgenie

I don't pay. The ad can be customized away. Firefox is slow on my computer, and Thunderbird is slower still. I do use K-Meleon at times, always when I go to MoneyBalls because it (and I think all Mozilla browsers) is incapable of rendering all the unnecessary site ads correctly. So it's faster than Opera on sites like that.

Using Opera on my old computer allows me to have speed on a $6.75 monthly dial-up connection! Yay!
Old 1 May 2005, 07:50 AM   #6
euroman

Quote:
Originally posted by Webgenie
I don't pay. The ad can be customized away.
How?
Old 1 May 2005, 08:04 AM   #7
Webgenie

Opera is very customizable. By using one of the Custom Fullscreen buttons here and then hitting Alt+spacebar+x to bring back the taskbar
Old 1 May 2005, 08:05 AM   #8
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Let's just say that 'best' can be argued over.

When I am at school the first thing I do is install a proper browser, that works the way I like it to do. In my case, that would be Opera. Sure, FireFox can be made to behave the way I like it to, but I'd need to install 9 extensions to do so making the total time of getting to a point where I can actually get started doing something more than 10 minutes. Opera has everything I want out of the box. Extensions idea is nice, but if the browser with most features out-of-the-box is faster, prettier and smaller than the barebones browser, my choice is easily made.

I don't really use M2 all that much.. just use it on my laptop for syncing IMAP so I've got access to my mails when it's not connected to the web. Gotta love the integration, though.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2005, 09:40 AM   #9
dantheman

Quote:
Opera is very customizable. By using one of the Custom Fullscreen buttons here and then hitting Alt+spacebar+x to bring back the taskbar
Most original Webgenie!
It's almost like a full page of extensions. Someone was working hard at it there that's for sure!
Will spurl it for now as i wait for my laptop to come back from repairs.
Thanks for the link!

Last edited by dantheman : 1 May 2005 at 09:48 AM.
Old 1 May 2005, 10:06 AM   #10
Webgenie

Non-troppo has done a lot of work and it's been a big help in making the most of Opera. This is my (semi)final product.

I like the BugMeNot button too. I'd never heard of it, but when you go to some websites (like newspapers) from a link to a story, they won't let you read it without registering. If you hit the BugMeNot button, it gives you log-in info. Really nifty.
Old 1 May 2005, 12:04 PM   #11
Webgenie

I don't find any problem with it, and in fact learned how to do it on the Opera forums. I don't think free users can't in good conscience use Full Screen mode. The Google ad is unobtrusive, but given the choice I'd rather not have it. And while I'd love to be worthy of having a "geekier than thou" attitude , the truth is that I am far from one who knows how to underhandedly bypass software restrictions. Then again, I am a Scorpio, so underhanded is not really a dirty word to me
Old 1 May 2005, 08:04 PM   #12
euroman

Quote:
I'm sorry - I'm a bit dumb being a downunderer - what on earth are you referring to....??
Old 1 May 2005, 11:47 PM   #13
Webgenie

The taskbar is where the Start button, icons and clock/time show on your screen. It disappears when you use a Full Screen mode. That's why I mentioned how to get it back.

I think that is what you were asking.
Old 2 May 2005, 03:07 AM   #14
dantheman

Quote:
Originally posted by euroman
I'm sorry - I'm a bit dumb being a downunderer - what on earth are you referring to....??
Euroman, as a downupper (Canadian) i was about to ask the same question! Glad Webgenie came up with the answer. The more i study Opera, the more i can see that it is a geeks dream come true.

Wonder if our Webgenie can come up with some more specific mail tricks...
Old 2 May 2005, 03:28 AM   #15
Webgenie

As far as blocking large file attachments from coming in, I don't know of any way to do it with Opera itself. If you know who is sending them, you can give a webmail address not configured to be collected through Opera.