EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 28 Jan 2010, 04:08 AM   #31
lnjr

avast 5 and mail cannot be checked?

Are you opening your email from the Gmail link or are you opening your mail from another program such as Windows Mail? I have a Gmail account as well and I also have Windows Mail and the newest version of Avast (home edition version 5) and I do not get that pop up box when I open up my mail by going to gmail.com and signing in. However, I did happen to click to send an email which opened the Windows Mail program and I got the pop up box that you are talking about - disabling the SSL/TLS in your mail client so that the Mail Scanner can scan your mail.

I have not changed any of the setting in Avast as far as the email goes. The only setting I changed was to have it check for updates more frequently than every 240 minutes.

If you are using something like Windows Mail or maybe a version of Outlook (I don't use Outlook) perhaps that is why you keep getting that box telling you to disable the SSL/TLS

I hope this is of some help
lnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2010, 08:58 AM   #32
babznme

Lightbulb I think I found the answer to this question about Avast & Gmail

Hi, Hope this helps.

As a long time user of Avast, I would have been very disapointed if there were not something to 'fix' this. I started looking around the program and this is what I found:
Open Avast, click on Real Time Shields, then Mail Shield, then Expert Settings, then SSL Accounts. you are supposed to add your type of account there so it won't come up with a warning message. After you put in the host name and click Add you should click OK and close the program and be fine. I don't use Gmail so have no way of testing that. But I did find where to tell the Avast program to see your SSL mail.

Try this out and let us know what happens. Peace!
babznme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2010, 11:46 PM   #33
some bloke

Wink avast error message: ssl/tls

Assuming you are using Outlook, go to file, account settings, select your gmail account and click settings, more settings, advanced tab change use incoming encryption to none and outgoing encryption to none...

should fix the problem....
some bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2010, 06:55 AM   #34
avast user

SSL warning disable

in avast! go to "mail shields", "expert settings" "ssl" then uncheck the box at bottom of the window that says warn about un ? something *****.
I can't remember exactly how its worded but its the only check box at the very bottom of that window.

I don't have that version installed on my system but I just fixed it doing this on another users system
avast user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2010, 05:14 PM   #35
GoldenOldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
Assuming you are using Outlook, go to file, account settings, select your gmail account and click settings, more settings, advanced tab change use incoming encryption to none and outgoing encryption to none...

should fix the problem....
I wouldn't recommend disabling the encryption, and the Google end won't accept messages for the rest of the world unless they are sent with some kind of security.

Having just hit this problem on my wife's computer I found that the following worked. (She's using Outlook Express, but the principle is valid for any client.)

Go to Tools / Accounts; select the mail account relating to Google & click Properties. Go to the Advanced tab & untick the box immediately under Outgoing Mail (SMTP) that says "This Server requires a secure connection (SSL)". The port number in the line above (which may have changed to 25) should then be set to 587. Click on Apply & OK and you're finished.

(Other clients will work differently, but you need port 587 for outgoing SMTP messages, with no SSL/TLS performed by the client.)

My interpretation of what is happening is the following:

Avast is seeing the use of port 587 & does what it says it will in its message - Provides an encrypted (TLS) link to GMail, which is then happy and accepts the message(s) for subsequent forwarding. (I initially tried port 465 without the SSL box being ticked, but Google refused the connection. Presumably Avast didn't pick up on that particular port, although I believe it's the one more commonly used.).
GoldenOldie is offline   Reply With Quote