EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 30 Oct 2010, 08:22 AM   #1
Feelio

In Basic-HTML mode; no can edit contacts

I have a poor connection; but it works absolutely fine, in time. I used to be able to do Gmail in STANDARD VIEW but that changed some time ago and I have to use the BASIC view now; long time now, works great ....except for one thing. In basic-view, after you go to "CONTACTS," and select one; there are only TWO options: COMPOSE or DELETE; no option to EDIT. Help! I have figured how to ADD a contact: You simply fill in the address of an email like "So-n-so-Name <the-actual-email>" (like ..."Bill Daley <bdaley@climber.com>"); send it; and it enters a contact (name and an email) into your roster of contacts. The rub is: that there is no way (evident) to ...EDIT... the contact for addresses/phone numbers/family members/web sites, etc, etc, etc. I have contacted gmail within few available methods ..like "suggestions," with no solution or reply. Anyone have a clue how to fully edit a gmail contact in Basic Mode? Using STANDARD mode is not an option for me. ****** Thanks robert and jon. So this is TRUE? This is a GLITCH? I hafta live with this? No "edit contact" possibility in Basic mode? ohfercrysakesGOOGLEyougottabekidding; and ya don't care???!

Last edited by Feelio : 4 Nov 2010 at 11:28 PM.
Feelio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Oct 2010, 09:11 AM   #2
robert@fm
The "e" in e-mail

There's at least one other important option (IIRC it's "Delete all spam messages now") which is unavailable in Basic HTML mode; and as it's an option I use all the time, I always make sure I'm in Standard mode, no matter how slow my connection.

In my opinion "Basic HTML" mode should be renamed "Virtually Useless" mode.
robert@fm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2010, 11:32 AM   #3
jon348fmf

I don't use basic? view, but I noticed that when I switched over that each name is a link to edit mode in the address book. Not sure about adding new contacts.

Jon
jon348fmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Nov 2010, 01:00 AM   #4
Feelio

Huh. Sorry no one has a solution to the contacts-issue for basic-mode gmail. I guess gmail, like everyone else just makes their software more and more top-heavy and less and less functional ...so that it handles EVERY scenario: more marketable. NOW ..it-seems: in basic-mode, gmail has dropped the feature to fill-in addresses (pop-up menu) as you type. This just stopped working. Does any one from gmail read these forums?
Old 21 Nov 2010, 01:50 AM   #5
jon348fmf

Hi Fellio,

Are your contacts not links like I mentioned? Also, have you tried a different browser, lately, I've found Chrome on the mac to be very nice. As far as google people being in the forums, I'm not sure why you would think that.

Jon

[quote=Feelio;512714]Huh. Sorry no one has a solution to the contacts-issue for basic-mode gmail. I guess gmail, like everyone else just makes their software more and more top-heavy and less and less functional ...so that it handles EVERY scenario: more marketable. NOW ..it-seems: in basic-mode, gmail has dropped the feature to fill-in addresses (pop-up menu) as you type. This just stopped working. Does any one from gmail read these forums?[/QUOTE]
Old 22 Nov 2010, 01:05 AM   #6
Feelio

Jon, Thanks, but no; I see no "edit" link. I have searched the page like a snake on patrol in the woods (slow, steady; exacting predatory hunger): nothing but "compose" and "delete." Regarding the gmail checking into forums: I used to program, users often have objective insights. I imagine[!] there is [or ought to be] a bevy of gmail folks out there trying to research issues that might improve the quality/ease/intuitiveness, hence usage. Dreamer? I'm just a little chagrined that I creep, ever closer, to not being functional on gmail. In the beginning, all was fine and wonderful: my connection has not changed. Dial-up connections are being abandoned like an old media? Not a big enough piece of the pie? p
Old 22 Nov 2010, 07:35 AM   #7
jon348fmf

that's funny!

hmm, when I use the 'basic' version I can edit each contact. If the name says Jon Doe, then I just click on Jon Doe. With all of google's talk of a faster web, you would think a really minimal version would be more of a priority as this doesn't seem so obvious to me and it doesn't seem to be working for you.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelio View Post
Jon, Thanks, but no; I see no "edit" link. I have searched the page like a snake on patrol in the woods (slow, steady; exacting predatory hunger): nothing but "compose" and "delete." Regarding the gmail checking into forums: I used to program, users often have objective insights. I imagine[!] there is [or ought to be] a bevy of gmail folks out there trying to research issues that might improve the quality/ease/intuitiveness, hence usage. Dreamer? I'm just a little chagrined that I creep, ever closer, to not being functional on gmail. In the beginning, all was fine and wonderful: my connection has not changed. Dial-up connections are being abandoned like an old media? Not a big enough piece of the pie? p