EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Jan 2017, 03:07 AM   #1
scrivener

Fastmail - Thunderbird folder and filter interactions

I've recently started using Fastmail and it's working fine. I'm also a long-time Thunderbird user, have set up its basic connection to Fastmail, and that's working fine too, no problem so far.

Before creating any problems I want to improve my limited understanding of the interaction between Tbird and Fastmail's IMAP functionality. I don't have much experience with IMAP. (Until now I've mostly used Tbird with Pop3, though I also read a very simple Gmail account through it.) As I understand things....

Folders created on Fastmail's server side appear in Tbird (provided they are "subscribed" to, etc.) and folders created by Tbird appear on the Fastmail web interface. That's worked fine so far.

My question of the moment regards rules and filters putting messages into those folders. I make extensive use of Tbird's filters to sort messages into folders, and Tbird's filter system seems much easier to use for extensive sorting than Fastmail's rules system.

What I'm not sure of from searching around is if/how Tbird's filtering on the client side affects the distribution of messages in folders on the Fastmail web interface on the server side, and vice versa. I haven't been able to find a simple full explanation of this in one place. E.g., as I take it....

* Tbird filters messages as they come through the Inbox. If Fastmail's rules have already moved messages out of the Inbox to other folders (where they'd appear if Tbird didn't apply any filters at all) does Tbird still filter them and perhaps send them to a different folder? So the messages appear in different folders on Tbird than on the Fastmail web site? (Or in two different folders on Tbird?)

* Does Tbird's sending a message to a particular folder have any effect on where the message goes on the Fastmail side? (Like Tbird creating a folder creates a folder on the Fastmail side.)

In simplest terms, I guess what I'm asking is whether Fastmail's rules-sorting and Tbird's client-side filter-sorting on my computer are two independent operations, resulting in different distributions of messages on each side, or whether they affect each other, and if so how. (And if so, is there any clear explanation of how at one place? Pointer appreciated).

Thanks in advance for teaching me.

Considering the complexity of my Tbird filters I'd rather learn from you than the hard way.
scrivener is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Jan 2017, 04:07 AM   #2
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

In the past, I have only used Thunderbird filters when using POP3 (which means it is quite a while since I used them period). To be honest, although Fastmail's Rules, and the underlying sieve script, does involve a learning curve, I would be inclined to use that where possible. When using IMAP, Thunderbird has a hard time knowing if it has already looked at specific messages (with POP3, it is easy) and filters may fail to fire when they should, and visa versa.

If you cannot see how to implement specific Thunderbird filters using Fastmail's server-side capabilities, let us know, and we should be able to help. Most likely, the problem will only be one of understanding the appropriate syntax to use.

To summarize, if you use both, they will operate independently of each other. The Fastmail rules on the server will be applied immediately when the message arrives at the server. Thunderbird filters will (or, rather, may) get applied when the message is fully downloaded. In this regard, note that IMAP allows partial reading of messages (especially just reading the headers) and good email clients like Thunderbird make extensive use of this for efficiency reasons.

EDIT: I could imagine some creative exceptions to what I recommend above. In particular, manually executed filters (a capability FastMail lacks) could be useful for some administrative functions.

Last edited by BritTim : 25 Jan 2017 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Possible exceptions
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote