EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 13 May 2019, 04:47 AM   #1
sync00

Accidently deleted some aliases

I deleted some aliases thinking I was deleting identities. Is there any way to recover them? I only remember the last one I deleted.
sync00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13 May 2019, 06:24 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

The only think a user can do directly is an account restore. This restores deleted folders and email messages, but does not restore any of our settings (such as Aliases or Identities).

Adding an alias normally creates an associated Identity. Deleting an alias normally removes the associated Identity. So if you deleted several aliases, those identities should also be now missing. Other people can now capture control of those aliases, so you need to act quickly.

If this happened recently (the past week or so), I think that Fastmail support staff can probably help you. File a support request at:
https://www.fastmail.com/support/

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 11:08 AM   #3
sync00

FM couldn't do anything about it.

Last edited by sync00 : 14 May 2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 14 May 2019, 01:38 PM   #4
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

It looks as though your next move is to try to make a list of all the aliases you have used. I believe this is possible through clever incremental use of Advanced Search. You want a list of all the distinct X-Resolved-to headers I am short of time, but the basic approach I suggest is:
  1. Start by looking at the raw message of any email, noting the X-Resolved-to header's value
  2. Do an advanced search that excludes all messages with the known X-Resolved-to header.
  3. Examine the raw message of any email in the list and note the second X-Resolved-to header
  4. Amend the search to exclude messages with both the known X-Resolved-to headers
  5. and so on ...
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 03:34 PM   #5
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Go to your identities if its not to late, the list will be in there.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2019, 10:38 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow You can’t rely on an identity to exist after you remove an alias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Go to your identities if its not to late, the list will be in there.
I don’t understand this claim - why do you think it’s true? When you delete an alias, the associated identity is immediately deleted automatically.

Try this yourself - create a new alias and an identity is automatically created. Delete the alias and that identity is automatically instantly removed.

Bill
Old 14 May 2019, 10:58 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow Use search for X-Delivered-To header

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
It looks as though your next move is to try to make a list of all the aliases you have used. I believe this is possible through clever incremental use of Advanced Search. You want a list of all the distinct X-Resolved-to headers...
The idea is good but that’s the wrong header. You need to use X-Delivered-To to discover the address used to deliver a message to the Fastmail incoming SMTP server. The X-Resolved-to header shows the target address of the alias, so it hides the actual alias address.

Bill
Old 14 May 2019, 11:58 PM   #8
sync00

Thanks for the suggestions.

90% of my aliases are receive only and I've deleted the identities for them. I guess that's irrelevant though if they get deleted when you delete the alias.

I'll try the idea for making a list of used aliases.

Last edited by sync00 : 15 May 2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 15 May 2019, 12:11 AM   #9
sync00

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
You need to use X-Delivered-To to discover the address
I'm finding the alias in the email. Is it common to have to go into the raw message to get the alias?

Last edited by sync00 : 15 May 2019 at 01:33 AM.
Old 15 May 2019, 12:22 AM   #10
sync00

ignore-----

Last edited by sync00 : 15 May 2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 15 May 2019, 02:42 AM   #11
sync00

I have a lot of aliases. I reached a point where the search result was "No Results Found" when it should have found lots of results. I assume I exceeded the maximum search size.
Old 15 May 2019, 03:37 AM   #12
sync00

I figured out how to narrow down my search for which aliases might have been deleted. I found one of them.

Most of my aliases are only used once and I don't care if they get deleted. So the other deleted aliases probably aren't important. I have my own domain so I can always create them again if I discover one that I want to resurrect.
Old 15 May 2019, 05:13 AM   #13
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by sync00 View Post
II have my own domain so I can always create them again if I discover one that I want to resurrect.
Deleted aliases in your own domain are much less of a problem than when they are in one of FastMail's domains. You can avoid lost email just by having a catch all alias (albeit at a cost of receiving some spam sometimes).
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 09:19 AM   #14
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by n5bb View Post
I don’t understand this claim - why do you think it’s true? When you delete an alias, the associated identity is immediately deleted automatically.

Try this yourself - create a new alias and an identity is automatically created. Delete the alias and that identity is automatically instantly removed.

Bill
Oh Ok, I had an alias which I deleted and the identity stayed there but it was a couple of years ok, I will try now and see what happens.

Yes they get deleted now.....sigh

I once had terry@fastmail.com but it got spammed badly so I deleted the alias BUT the identity stayed there for a few months until I deleted it, but in saying that is was a few years ago.

Last edited by Terry : 15 May 2019 at 09:27 AM.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2019, 10:03 AM   #15
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
...I once had terry@fastmail.com but it got spammed badly so I deleted the alias BUT the identity stayed there for a few months until I deleted it, but in saying that is was a few years ago.
Yes, Terry — I wasn’t sure, so I tested this before I made my first post about the topic. Fastmail has been cleaning up and simplifying things the last couple of years, and they probably changed this behavior many months ago. The email search feature is much faster now and you can quickly search across all folders on a large account without locking it up due to server overload. The calendar search feature is awesome! I can now easily go backwards and see the previous times I did something.

Bill