EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 3 Feb 2005, 03:53 AM   #31
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Re: FAYE

Quote:
Originally posted by mms_crazy
This statement is wrong for 2 reasons: 1) regardless of any factors on the part of the users this is a breach of contract. The current contract is null and void What Runbox has to do now is refund everyones money prorated to the time table of the contract. Now the users can forgo this refund for a new contract with the bandwidth restrictions in place however
Runbox has yet to choose to notify their clients of this change or give them the option to choose refund or new contract
Faye, you're getting nitpicky. You know darn well that the end effect of what you said and what I said are the same. Those who stay with Runbox would be under the new terms and those who don't would get a refund.

I also already posted that Runbox should immediately update all their TOS statements before implementing the limitations. This should include notifying all the users of the change.

Quote:
Originally posted by mms_crazy
Runbox is paying more for bandwidth now
Bandwidth is bandwidth regardless what it is used for
OK ... and how does that answer my question? To rephrase ... Is my bandwidth quota going to be "charged" for messages that I receive that are flagged as spam or that I mark as spam? Why should I be "charged" for incoming mail that isn't mine?

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 04:12 AM   #32
mms_crazy

RICH

YES it will be charged towards your usage. If it is not rejected and returned it will be added to your usage.
Guess what alot of spam is not rejected. Wealso have worms that can generated so much e-mail that it can max out your bandwidth in less than a day... Then you are out of luck for the rest of the month.
AS for my nitpicking I can see by peoples response that they are not understanding the point. it is still the clients giving up something for free and they do not understand that they do not know what their future usage might be.
I will be e-mailing runbox for a full refund plus the extended time I received

Faye

OK ... and how does that answer my question? To rephrase ... Is my bandwidth quota going to be "charged" for messages that I receive that are flagged as spam or that I mark as spam? Why should I be "charged" for incoming mail that isn't mine?

Regards,
Rich
mms_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 06:21 AM   #33
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Faye, they do understand. They understand that Runbox needs to put a cap on the bandwidth for the sake of all the users. The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few. They understand that this is a loss of "feature" for the service but for many it is a loss that they will never miss.

For the few that it does impact they might want to close their Runbox accounts and get a refund. Or, they might get a second Runbox account and split their email between the two so they have twice the band width. Yes, they will pay for it but it may still be less than what they might pay some place else ... they will have to decide.

The "charged for spam" question is something only Runbox can answer because they could have software that would adjust bandwidth usage accordingly for spam. I kind of doubt it but they could.

Regards
Rich
Old 3 Feb 2005, 06:26 AM   #34
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Post Clarifications

• Spam does currently count towards your quota. We realize this seems counter-intuitive and we will consider changing it if technically viable.
  • Traffic is measured per week, not per month. The quota is 2.5GB per week in total.
Faye: Look up "virtually" on dictionary.com. "Virtually unlimited bandwidth" was intended to be interpreted as "Practically unlimited bandwidth" -- and for all practical purposes it was. Since then, email usage patterns have changed drastically. Runbox changes with them, in a very reasonable way.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 07:16 AM   #35
zapata
Essential Contributor

Do subscribers with a bigger e-mail storage (eg 2GB) and file storage (250MB) get more bandwith as well? Or can you buy extra bandwith if required?

BR
Herbert
zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 07:16 AM   #36
southernbelle2

okay i have a possibly stupid question here you state that this will only effect about 5% of users is this 5% the same percentage and group of users that it took so long for them to get their e-mails when runbox went down last week another words yahoo groups users were the 5% that was last to get their service back last week . Also the allowable quota that you are implementing i am confused as i do not have any idea of how much i use i do belong to several yahoo groups and i use my pop and smtp to download to incredimail so i guess i will be using double what everyone else is using is that correct? I wish someone could relate to me an example of what the quotos would be compared to disc usage and i just renewed my runbox day before yesterday and there was nothing anywhere about this new policy. I think that runbox should have somewhere on the page where you renew this new information so this way everyone renewing would know this beforehand. Just a suggestion. I am getting the feeling that yahoo group users are the ones that are going to feel the reflection of this new policy. I do have another suggestion instead of having overusers buy another account maybe they could split the account they have in half like i have a 3gb account but never even use half of it so why could i not reduce to half and half if this makes any sense this way i would be allowed the limit in both. All this is confusing and latin to me until i see an example of the limit to disc usage
southernbelle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 07:24 AM   #37
BKB
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally posted by zapata
Do subscribers with a bigger e-mail storage (eg 2GB) and file storage (200MB) get more bandwith as well? Or can you buy extra bandwith if required?

BR
Herbert
Good question. Geir, if Runbox decides to allocate bandwidth based on storage space (which I believe it will), perhaps you can keep things simple by having a policy, such that:

"Your weekly bandwidth limit is 3 times your total storage space (webmail and files)" - or whatever multiple you plan on using. That way you won't have to give separate bandwidth numbers for each price plan, and risk confusing novice users (as Fastmail does).

In addition - but not necessarily - you could charge heavy users a fee to increase the multiple.

Last edited by BKB : 3 Feb 2005 at 07:29 AM.
BKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 07:49 AM   #38
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Geir,

I think most users realize there was a need to cap the bandwidth.

The biggest problem you're going to have now is that you did it without notifying all the users that it was going to happen.

You can already see that this is causing a problem for some. You didn't give them a chance to make alternative arrangements.

A big problem is that most people have no idea how much they use. So some people are going to be very upset about this now only to find out they aren't even close to the bandwidth limits.

From a customer relations view point Runbox should have notified everybody first. Implemented the Bandwidth guage so people can see where they are at. Then given them at least a week before activating the bandwidth limit.

Again ... this is just my opinion.

Regards,
Rich

P.S. I still think Runbox is a GREAT service.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 08:00 AM   #39
mail2me
Master of the @

I'm a bit late on this. I guess I haven't been following on the new developments of Runbox lately.

1) I thought the monthly bandwith limit for Runbox is 3GB or 3000MB as shown in this comparison. Is that outdated now? To me 10GB from 3GB is an enhancement.

2) Is 10GB going to be for both Email and Files?
mail2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 10:13 AM   #40
EvaMarie

Bandwidth

I know it will do know use to get upset so I will try not, but I do wish some sort of notice would have been given, turning off the mail of those that go over is not the way to go. I just got an email saying they would refund a prorated refund if I wanted...I just want what I paid for...and since things are changing, just the respect to be able to switch mails around so I can get my mail...if I wouldn't have gotten the email I wouldn't have known to come here and check things out.
Thank you for your time
Eva Martin
EvaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 10:48 AM   #41
mbtec0

I just found out about this after I was unable to download my email with Outlook. I went to the "Service Status" page, and there it was, all the notice was missing was the black border.....A few minutes later, after checking my Excite Mail, there was an email from Runbox, explaining that I had used most of my weeks' bandwidth, in 2 days. I see that I'm one of the "bad customers", the ones that apparently hog the service. That, however, does not solve my problem, and now I am going to be charged for incoming emails, as well as one I download. About 10% of my total emails are viruses & worms, which I certainly am not interested in receiving. Another 15-20% is unsolicited spam, which I am also not interested in receiving. Nevertheless, I pay. Yes, I belong to Yahoo Groups, and I want to continue to do so. I find it funny that I have 2 Runbox accounts, with 2gb mailboxes, now with a bandwidth quota almost equal to the size of the mailbox. I was considering purchasing a 3rd account, in order to organize what comes in better, but now will not do so.

In the 10 years I have used the internet, I have probably paid the price of a new Mercedes-Benz, between the hardware & peripherals I have bought, usually obsolete by the time I get it home & plug it in, the software I've paid for, that seldom works as advertised, and now I can add Runbox to the list. I've about 1 year left one one account, and 2 years left on the other....sigh
mbtec0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 11:01 AM   #42
mms_crazy

BYE

Since Runbox breached their contract with me and everyone else. I have asked for refund.
This is NO way to run a business
It has been one year of one problem after another and now
I leave.
To Rich, Geir and Liz I personally wish you all the very best personally
Faye
mms_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 11:07 AM   #43
southernbelle2

ok now i am upset i just renewed my runbox day before yesterday and there was nothing on the renewel page stating this new policy. Also why would i purchase a 3gb account and now it will serve me no useful purpose this is only wednesday and you say i am over quota i have no graph to go by and did not even know about this policy until i did not receive my mail today.
now you are telling me to decrease my e-mail intake i have no clue how much since i belong to 40 yahoo groups and have no idea the amount of mail or size of mail from day to day it varies. I have been with runbox for several years now and have stuck with you through thick and thin and stayed with you because i never had a problem with yahoo group mail now you have changed your policy without sending me any notification. I also know that since i use a pop and smtp to download to my provider i will be using double the usage. I thought i read somewhere where there was going to be adjustments for the size of accounts you have. I just spent 45.00 for something that will be of no use to me anymore. Why can i not split my 3gb account in half and this way i could get double the usage . I am so upset that i was not notified before you took this action and before i renewed my account with you

I have a stupid question here why would someone purchase a 3gb account unless they were expecting to get a lot of e-mail so now with the new quota no one would need that large of an account since it would put them over the quota this is not making any sense to me? Also you stated you adjusted my quota and for me to adjust my e-mail intake so does that mean i will be over quota the rest of the week and not recieve anymore mail? Also in another post they stated that they were going to do quota adjustments for the larger accounts has that already been implemented and when will the graphs be out they should have been out along with the notifications first.
southernbelle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Feb 2005, 11:07 AM   #44
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Sorry Faye ... but I understand. I do think this issue was a customer relations mistake (not notifying customers ahead of time). The other issues were "technical difficulties" and they did their best to resolve them as quickly as possible.

Regards,
Rich
Old 3 Feb 2005, 01:05 PM   #45
COUME
Master of the @

Hello everyone,

I have to say that I am amazed to learn that kind of news from a forum... A change in the ToS should at least be emailed to the user, which is the customer who sign the contract (as it has been mentioned). I don't want to go in the law stuff etc, but I am desappointed that such news are not even emailed to the account OWNER! or at least in the news on the frontpage, which are always btw news of the good points... neither of the bad ones (msg quotas, etc...)
I REALLY strongly think that such important change in the ToS HAVE to be emailed to the users...

And then to second Rich on this one, I really want to know all the time my BW even if I'm far from the limit! If there is a limit, people have to be clearly aware of it, and not only when reading the long ToS. There is a limit in the account size, there is a quota graph... so for me, it sounds obvious that if there is a BW limit, I want a graph, and yes as FM does...

and to conclude before to go catch the bus, I can understand the quota to improve the service but I really hope that after adding all this quota system (btw, if I choosed Rb Vs FM, it was the no quotas thingie...) and really trying to make it with warning the user, the system will not suffer delays, etc... btw, If Rb does not send an email to each user annoucing that, posting in the news, and making that clear on its website, it is really for me an attempt to fool most user... The ones never using the webmail, and all the ones to who you would not activate the BW limit if they are far from it... How those would discover the change, .... NEVER... or perhaps one day when they need lots of BW, they will just have their account blocked and discover this great new quota thingie....

Ok, so got to go now, but I will follow this thing very closely cos' I really see all the recent change as a crucial change in the Rb strategy and I wonder how it will go...

Regards,
Ludovic
COUME is offline   Reply With Quote