EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 14 Aug 2013, 12:18 AM   #1
bluelectric

Obsolete SSL support?

Comparing several email providers, today I stumbled over this:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/anal...l?d=runbox.com

Apparently, runbox still supports SSL 2.0, which is obsolete, and also insecure renegotiation, which supposedly makes it vulnerable to MITM attacks.

Other than that, Runbox's safety records seems pretty good - but this might become a problem - not just for users trusting in secure mail transport, but also for Runbox itself once customers start looking for providers without these security holes.

Any comment from Runbox would be appreciated. Thanks from an otherwise happy customer!

Last edited by bluelectric : 14 Aug 2013 at 12:25 AM.
bluelectric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 14 Aug 2013, 01:43 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

Did you read my reply in the other thread.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2013, 02:28 AM   #3
bluelectric

David,

now I did. I do admit that I haven't tested rmm6.runbox.com (yet), but I did test secure.runbox.com which I'm using for IMAP and SMTP access, as instructed by Runbox's own help pages at http://help.runbox.com/server-details/ - and secure.runbox.com got the same F grade as the plain runbox.com address.

Two questions, then:

Can I use rmm6.runbox.com for IMAP and SMTP access as well?

And if secure solutions are already implemented, why are insecure solutions still active?
Old 14 Aug 2013, 02:34 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

I will leave your question for Runbox staff to reply to. I too was surprised that secure.runbox.com received an F rating.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2013, 03:14 AM   #5
dbowdley
Cornerstone of the Community

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We are aware of the lower security specification of secure.runbox.com and why this isn't as it should be. We are planning to upgrade the server and the SSL certificate in the near future.

Unfortunately you can't use rmm6.runbox.com for IMAP, POP and SMTP.
dbowdley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2013, 03:39 AM   #6
bluelectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowdley View Post
We are planning to upgrade the server and the SSL certificate in the near future.

Unfortunately you can't use rmm6.runbox.com for IMAP, POP and SMTP.
Thanks for the clarification. I will standby and watch how things are going.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 12:34 PM   #7
kijinbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelectric View Post
Apparently, runbox still supports SSL 2.0, which is obsolete, and also insecure renegotiation, which supposedly makes it vulnerable to MITM attacks.
But your browser most likely doe not support SSL 2.0, or if it does, it will be turned off by default. So you actually won't be using SSL 2.0 to communicate with runbox. You'll be using either SSL 3.0 or TLS 1.0.
kijinbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2013, 07:05 PM   #8
bluelectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijinbear View Post
But your browser most likely doe not support SSL 2.0, or if it does, it will be turned off by default. So you actually won't be using SSL 2.0 to communicate with runbox. You'll be using either SSL 3.0 or TLS 1.0.
It's not the browser I'm worried about - Runbox's webmail server, rmm6.runbox.com has a perfect security record, anyway. I'm rather concerned about mail clients, particularly those on mobile systems (which have their own security issues time and again). The makers of mail apps are not always forthcoming with technical specifications for their products, and those are communicating with Runbox through the less-than-secure secure.runbox.com server.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 07:23 PM   #9
tomhab
Essential Contributor

Just to point out - it gets an F for product support (I'm guessing that means browser support).

Everything else is very strong. In other words - you may have problems connecting to it, but if you do, then you're probably pretty secure.
tomhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2013, 07:27 PM   #10
bluelectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhab View Post
Just to point out - it gets an F for product support (I'm guessing that means browser support).
Nope. It says "Protocol support" which doesn't mean browser support but support for secure or less secure transfer protocols. Which - again - doesn't affect browsers because you are able to (and should) access Runbox through rmm6.runbox.com - which has an excellent security rating. It's the standalone mail clients that are (or rather may be) affected by unsufficent protocol support.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 10:02 AM   #11
emebrs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelectric View Post
you are able to (and should) access Runbox through rmm6.runbox.com - which has an excellent security rating
Is it also okay to simply use https://runbox.com/ ?
emebrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2013, 12:32 AM   #12
Ez2517

Ssl

It seems to me that they still could improve their server config regarding SSL, especially

- remove support of MD5 ciphers (MD5 is widely seen as insecure if not broken)
- i would prefer to see a SSL root certificate used which has NOT been issued by a british company, as it is not unlikely that the private keys are in access of british and/or U.S: government agencies.
Ez2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Sep 2013, 02:54 AM   #13
tomhab
Essential Contributor

Hi Ez2517

Your first point is fair enough. A bit of technical background to your second point:

If Runbox's root certificate authority's (CA) private key was made available to whatever agencies it would not allow them to read your communication to Runbox. You need Runbox's private certificate to do that. All the CA's certificate does it prove that Runbox's certificates are valid.

However, if someone managed to get any CA private certiciate, it would allow them to create a clone of Runbox's certificate allowing a man-in-the-middle attack (that does allow them to read your communication) so it's moot point what CA Runbox uses. Also it would be pretty noticeable and big news, and very very damaging for whatever CA provided their private certificate.
tomhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2013, 05:40 PM   #14
17pm

Does anyone know any info about when exactly they're planning to secure their connection?

It has been almost 2 months now, since they said they'd fix it "shortly".
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2013, 08:19 PM   #15
Geir
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
Runbox.com
We are planning to move https://runbox.com over to our Runbox 6 servers next week, and are in the process of acquiring stronger SSL certificates.

- Geir
Geir is offline   Reply With Quote