EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 22 Dec 2001, 07:46 AM   #1
OtaconTV

Lightbulb Link opens in new window

why doesn't this happen? It's driving me nuts. I'm setting up a website with some friends so lots of links are going between us. So everytime I click a link I lose the mail window and have to re login. Please make all links go to a new window. Is this possible?
OtaconTV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Dec 2001, 07:53 AM   #2
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/...&threadid=1654

Also, note that you can simply click 'back' on your browser to go back to FastMail.FM, without opening a new window. If you right-click the back button, you can go exactly back to any page you've recently visited.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2002, 05:49 AM   #3
admiralu
Essential Contributor

Red face Link in new window

I would also like for links and attachments to open in a new window. While I really love the service, it is annoying to have to use the browser's back button everytime. Links really should open in a new window and attachments as well. Is that something that may change with the paid service?
admiralu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2002, 05:58 AM   #4
munchkin

thats funny....i actually like links open in the same window. i cant stand clicking on links and i end up with 10 opened windows...but thats just my 2 cents
munchkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2002, 08:18 AM   #5
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
I think it's been said before, but I'll say again.

1. It's easy to open a link in a new window by holding down SHIFT when you click (in IE, other browsers have a similar thing)
2. It's hard to stop a link opening in a new window if you explicitly set the link to do so.

That's why we're staying with 1. A distant hope is to make this a user option.

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2002, 08:51 AM   #6
psalzer

I'm getting used to remembering to open the links in new windows myself. I do prefer links opening in new windows in mail interfaces, but I recognize that for accessiblity/usablilty it conforms with best practices not to do that, so I'm not going to try to argue the point. However, if anyone knows how to open links in new windows in IE for Mac, I'd appreciate it if you could post that. I'm hoping to introduce a couple of Mac users to Fastmail and I'm not sure whether they know how to do that or not.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2002, 10:44 AM   #7
Jeremy Howard
Ultimate Contributor

On IE for Mac you should be able to Ctrl+Click to get a context menu, and then click 'Open in New Window'.

Possibly, shift-click will open in new window without a context menu appearing. I last used a Mac before IE for Mac existed, however, so I'm not sure about this.
Jeremy Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2002, 10:59 AM   #8
psalzer

Thanks. The only other Mac users besides these two that I know well wouldn't touch IE if it were the only browser left on earth, but could probably design their own if pushed, or, on the other extreme, only access the web through AOL. Neither set would have that information handy.
psalzer is offline   Reply With Quote