EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 29 Dec 2017, 05:08 PM   #1
noclue
Cornerstone of the Community

Accidentally deleted email not in trash

Maybe it takes a day or two for a deleted email to mosey on over to the trash folder? I thought it was an instantaneous transaction. I just deleted a LONG email accidentally, and it isn't in the trash. Or anywhere else. Do I need to type the whole thing over from memory? Memory is no longer my strong suit!
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 29 Dec 2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Cox

Did you discard a draft (a mail you intended to send later)? Or did you delete a mail you have received?
Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2017, 07:10 PM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

What email application did you use? FastMail’s own webmail or app? Or another client, like Outlook, Thunderbird, etc.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2017, 07:30 PM   #4
noclue

There was a draft, but when I sent the email, I deleted the draft. Then I got a mailer deamon. So I went to "sent" to retrieve it, and impossibly, I sent that one to "archive," where I went next. It hasn't been a good day on the ol' PC. But all of this is on me and my arthritic fingers that won't go where I send them. While in "archive, I finally deleted it, not on purpose. "Trash" still doesn have it.

I was not using the app; I was on my PC, Windows 10. I wasn't using a third party. I'm an FM loyalist; I just do dumb stuff.

It's late where I am, so I had to get the email out. It was not as detailed as the original, needless to say. I'd still like to know the hang time for a deleted message to land in "trash," however, if anyone knows.
Old 30 Dec 2017, 01:39 AM   #5
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I think the problem is the cold weather.

Here is how this all works:
  • In most folders there is a Delete button at the top. The Delete button will immediately move the selected message(s) to your Trash folder.
  • In the Drafts folder there is instead a Discard Drafts (or Discard) button. The Discard button immediately discards the draft message — it does not go to Trash. But it’s still in the backup system for at least one week.
  • The Trash and Spam folders instead have a Delete Permanently button. The Delete Permanently button removes the selected message(s) from all of your folders — it does not go to Trash. But it’s still in the backup system for at least one week. Deleting permanently from the Spam folder marks that message as spam.
  • You can use the Settings>Restore From Backup feature to access all of the discarded and permanently deleted messages from within the past week.
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2017, 04:51 AM   #6
noclue

Hi, Bill -- Great to hear from you again. I guess I must have deleted the whole thing from the "drafts" folder, so that's why it never showed up again.

However, I have noticed that when I delete email from my inbox, those messages do not go immediately to the trash. They go into cyberspace somewhere? I just thought that maybe it took a while for them to circumnavigate the globe before they went into my trash folder. I know that used to happen, but it's not happening anymore. Is there a rule or something I need to know about?
Old 30 Dec 2017, 02:18 PM   #7
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Deleted messages are moved to the Trash folder immediately (a fraction of a second). But since it's not usual to be waiting for view new messages while viewing the Trash folder, new messages in the Trash folder may not be immediately visible until you click the double circular arrows icon to the right of the Trash folder name.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2017, 03:20 PM   #8
noclue

I knew it! A secret handshake. Thanks, Bill. Now I know about the circular arrows. Good info. Thank you so much. But, you know, it really could be the cold weather.

Stay warm.