EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Early Warning...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Early Warning... If an email service has closed down or changed the services it offers, or if there are indications it is about to do so, post about it here.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Feb 2009, 09:07 PM   #16
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Ok. I actually tried the sign up and do get the account free.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 03:11 PM   #17
cindy25

I used Kichimail (an everyone.net) for years, since 1999, but there has been no outgoing service since November.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 08:13 PM   #18
theog
= Permanently banned =

Actually, everyone.net sent out an email to all domain holders weeks ago stating that they were shutting down the free service to combat spammers.

In the email they said the free service would return.

Personally, I don't care either way... hotmail offers a great alternative to using everyone.net. I actually started using hotmail on my new sites rather than using everyone.net. The return of popups and .exe installs with everyone.net made my choice to be clear.

I'd not be surprised if everyone.net failed, since management at everyone.net is mediocre at best.

But they did send out the email weeks ago...
Old 9 Feb 2009, 09:05 PM   #19
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by theog View Post
Actually, everyone.net sent out an email to all domain holders weeks ago stating that they were shutting down the free service to combat spammers.
I never recieve any....
Old 10 Feb 2009, 12:24 AM   #20
lgnki

Any possibility of posting that email?
Old 10 Feb 2009, 08:38 AM   #21
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgnki View Post
Any possibility of posting that email?
No... I don't even use that account anymore... I've switched all my personal email accounts to my Microsoft exchange account. I deleted all emails that were not important.

I do keep a business account on everyone.net, but that might not last if they ask me to renew with one of their "new" plans....

Too many options available now to be worried about everyone.net and their screwed up management (although, great service... how they are pulling that off with that management team is amazing)...

I was simply passing along information. I'm guessing only website owners received that email... although, I did not get it with my old personal account (5 email accounts)... only my hosted email account....
Old 10 Feb 2009, 08:49 AM   #22
cindy25

they sent everyone a survey, with several questions about what it would take for you to upgrade to a paid service.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 09:25 AM   #23
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy25 View Post
they sent everyone a survey, with several questions about what it would take for you to upgrade to a paid service.
That is not what I'm talking about... not even sure how that fits here....
Old 10 Feb 2009, 08:34 PM   #24
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
What do you think the chances of everyone.net decide to drop everyone who is using free hosting?
Old 11 Feb 2009, 04:00 AM   #25
lgnki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
What do you think the chances of everyone.net decide to drop everyone who is using free hosting?
Pretty slim, there is still some advertising market for them, its just not as profitable as they'd like it to be.
Old 11 Feb 2009, 05:03 PM   #26
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Exclamation Everyone.net

theog, I got the survey, but not any notice from Everyone.net announcing a service change for free accounts. Of course I only have free and a few business (formerly called group mail) accounts.

Killer, Ignki; indeed Everyone.net still displays banner ads, often on the top, bottom, and sides of the inbox even for defunct accounts. I suppose that generates some revenue. However, I would expect Everyone.net to eventually suspend or disable unused accounts in order to save bandwidth, server space, admin costs, etc and put a hold on new sign ups until a business model compliant with this global recession emerges if that is at all even possible. Either that or slowly begin to shed hosting for email accounts as services such as Chek.com, once an internet web mail staple, did in the midsts of the dotcom bust. Chek.com, now Synacor.com, still hosts some email accounts but very, very few. Failing this, Everyone.net may simply fold the tent and go into history along with other notable email services of the past many of us liked and depended on.

The last major dotcom bust saw the end of scores of free email services and domains that never came back or got redeveloped even when the net economy stabilized. I hope this isn't the case for the current economic downturn. I hate to rely on my ISP's service or go back to email the way it used to be with plain vanilla, no frames 5-10MB boxes, 500KB-1MB attachment limits, and restricted amounts of email that could be sent or received in a 24 hour period. That would suck.
Old 12 Feb 2009, 07:07 AM   #27
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Depends if free hosting is making money for them.

I've also thought this "spam" thing was a good way to test dumping free hosting.

I think they are trying to transform the business to become a mailtrust.com so I would not be surprised if they killed free hosting. And I'm sure the spammers are a pain in the rear....

I would say with hosted email from google, hotmail/live and aol, I would say the competition is VERY stiff for everyone.net. I remember back in 2001 or so telling them that all of this would happen, so I have little sympathy for them.. I spoke to someone on the phone, at that... some manager... They should have been making the changes they are doing now many years ago... even spinning up a new company or something....

About the only thing that keeps my business accounts there are the filters....
Old 12 Feb 2009, 07:12 AM   #28
theog
= Permanently banned =

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Of Email View Post
theog, I got the survey, but not any notice from Everyone.net announcing a service change for free accounts. Of course I only have free and a few business (formerly called group mail) accounts.

Killer, Ignki; indeed Everyone.net still displays banner ads, often on the top, bottom, and sides of the inbox even for defunct accounts. I suppose that generates some revenue. However, I would expect Everyone.net to eventually suspend or disable unused accounts in order to save bandwidth, server space, admin costs, etc and put a hold on new sign ups until a business model compliant with this global recession emerges if that is at all even possible. Either that or slowly begin to shed hosting for email accounts as services such as Chek.com, once an internet web mail staple, did in the midsts of the dotcom bust. Chek.com, now Synacor.com, still hosts some email accounts but very, very few. Failing this, Everyone.net may simply fold the tent and go into history along with other notable email services of the past many of us liked and depended on.

The last major dotcom bust saw the end of scores of free email services and domains that never came back or got redeveloped even when the net economy stabilized. I hope this isn't the case for the current economic downturn. I hate to rely on my ISP's service or go back to email the way it used to be with plain vanilla, no frames 5-10MB boxes, 500KB-1MB attachment limits, and restricted amounts of email that could be sent or received in a 24 hour period. That would suck.
I started to post that email here...

The popups at everyone.net simply suck... my guess is that I can now move my large free domain from everyone.net to hotmail soon... thank goodness... the only issue are the people who have paid for service... I'll have to tell them to not renew.... that is going to be painful and I'll get cursed at a lot.... oh well....
Old 16 Feb 2009, 04:22 PM   #29
King Of Email
Cornerstone of the Community

Lightbulb Everyone.net

theog, I noticed the uptick in pop-ups, also some redirects on other websites, and targeted spam on still others. At the point at which Everyone.net becomes like the previous, but still Outblaze managed Mail.com, with annoying pop-ups, running scripts, and page redirects; I'll cease using the accounts on my own. I understand the need for ad revenue, etc to fund a "free" service, but when annoying page load stalls and nuisance becomes the standard default condition, I usually book and look elsewhere. I only really rely on about four Everyone.net accounts, all short extensions, but won't stay if I have to go through an obstacle course of stalls, pop-ups, redirects, and spam dumps just to have a convenient url. Unfortunately, most of the good Everyone.net accounts that transition, transition to Google apps. Unfortunate because they lack the utilities of Gmail proper, often the administrators botch the account transition process and lose members in the process, and honesty I don't really trust Google because of its data sharing and privacy policies or lack thereof. In that light, I'd rather my good Everyone.net accounts transition to something other than Google apps and Microsoft at this point looks better in comparison. Of course that means the loss of old Everyone.net accounts under three characters in length as they will most probably not be transitioned. So much for my old k.st account.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 10:27 PM   #30
Killer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Killer.kkk.sg
I don't see how anyone could move to Google Apps when their free option only allows 50users.
Closed Thread