EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 1 Jul 2017, 12:27 AM   #1
squiggle

Toggle for "View as Text/HTML" in new interface?

Does anyone know where the toggle for viewing an individual email as text or HTML is in the new interface? I can't find the button (used to be on the upper right as a hyperlink in the classic interface) and now all my HTML emails won't render correctly.

Note that I don't want to make a global change to view all emails as HTML; I just want the toggle!
squiggle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 1 Jul 2017, 04:50 AM   #2
kwiniec

They elected to take that ability away from us. I toggle HTML for multiple messages per a day too. I emailed classicfeedback at fastmail dot com beging for it; they might respond to enough interest. But they were generous enough to make the UI remember the last settings panel open and its scroll position, so that it only takes 20 actions to toggle back and forth on a message. Could be worse. ;-)
kwiniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 05:49 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

For these kinds of repetitive actions, make sure you work out the keyboard shortcuts needed, and memorize them. You will find it only takes a couple of seconds each time once you do that.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Jul 2017, 06:23 AM   #4
kwiniec

Thanks, good thought. If there were a shortcut to toggle the View HTML radio buttons, that would be perfect, but sadly there does not seem to be one. Nor for the Mail Preferences pane, only for the general Settings menu option. If Settings were left on the Mail Preferences pane, it would swap 16 one-handed actions for 8 2-handed actions, dropping the total from 20 actions to 12.

I haven't been able to get any shortcuts to work on Mac Firefox though. ctrl-M mutes the tab instead of formating/indenting the reply text, and shift-G,S and shift-G,M do nothing.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 07:51 AM   #5
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiniec View Post
Thanks, good thought. If there were a shortcut to toggle the View HTML radio buttons, that would be perfect, but sadly there does not seem to be one. Nor for the Mail Preferences pane, only for the general Settings menu option. If Settings were left on the Mail Preferences pane, it would swap 16 one-handed actions for 8 2-handed actions, dropping the total from 20 actions to 12.

I haven't been able to get any shortcuts to work on Mac Firefox though. ctrl-M mutes the tab instead of formating/indenting the reply text, and shift-G,S and shift-G,M do nothing.
Make sure you are using the small s and small m (no shift key) for navigation in Gs to go to settings, and Gm to return to the Mail screen. It occurs to me that a feature that allowed user defined keyboard shortcuts for Settings we wish to set regularly would be a great power feature. Hard to say how difficult it would be to implement.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 08:05 AM   #6
kwiniec

Thanks. I had tried every permutation of the keys shift, option, control, command, G, A, and M (which of course are lowercase without shift), no effects beyond what may be assigned by OS X or Firefox.
Old 1 Jul 2017, 08:22 AM   #7
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

One thing just to double check: is Enable keyboard shortcuts ticked (Settings->GENERAL Preferences)
Old 1 Jul 2017, 08:36 AM   #8
kwiniec

THANK YOU! All keyboard shortcuts work. I went through that page experimenting with settings a few times and still never noticed that one. Getting old....
Old 24 Sep 2017, 03:26 AM   #9
Grhm
Essential Contributor

Keyboard shortcuts are all very well, but they only help if you have a keyboard!
I'd like to second the feature request to include a 'View with HTML' and also a 'View as plain text' option for individual messages, alongside the useful 'Show raw message' option.
I'm puzzled that this functionality is missing.
It really can't be hard to implement, can it?
Does anybody have any theories why Fastmail decided to omit it from the new interface?
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Oct 2017, 01:41 PM   #10
Grhm
Essential Contributor

I just discovered by accident a quick way of viewing a message with HTML if you have the 'Always display messages in plain text' option checked in settings. (Settings > Mail > Preferences > Advanced).
All you have to do is select the message and then choose More > Edit New.
The message is then opened for editing with HTML applied rather than as plain text as you would expect.
This is almost certainly a bug... but it's quite a handy one !
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote