EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 26 Jan 2018, 09:27 PM   #1
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Spammer around

User malikahassan12 is spamming via PMs. That's an extract from what I got:
Quote:
I have a business proposal worth 18$million dollars for more information contact me
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 27 Jan 2018, 07:46 PM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Wouldn't it be so satisfying to get all the e-mail links and URL's these miserable spamming creatures use, and get them published prominently somewhere so every other spammer can spam THEM!
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2018, 07:59 PM   #3
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

At this moment 11:56 (local time) I count 11 spam posts of 33kkgkozlov. Moderators, where are you?
Berenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2018, 02:19 AM   #4
ReuvenNY

Moderator's Comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
At this moment 11:56 (local time) I count 11 spam posts of 33kkgkozlov. Moderators, where are you?
Spammer and spam gone!
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2018, 04:37 PM   #5
chrisretusn
Cornerstone of the Community

Another suspect:

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...52&postcount=1
chrisretusn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2018, 07:32 PM   #6
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
Why do you think she’s suspected? On what basis you recognize such a message?
The post looks to be pretty normal, not really detailed, but at least not provided with links, etc.
Berenburger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2018, 08:09 PM   #7
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz
User malikahassan12 is spamming via PMs. That's an extract from what I got:
At least thats not as bad as on this other site where Im a co-admin...

I was offline for about 5 days and im the only active staff member there..... When I logged in there was over 10,000 spam posts!!! (From 2 or 3 diff accounts) Massive spam attack -- I cleaned it up within mins then raised the strength of the captcha to EXTREME and they still got thru it! (2 more accts were created after I raised it) Some stupid essay site being posted over and over.......

I tell ya,the spam is outta control!!! -- I am glad we dont (knock on wood) have that problem here....

Last edited by Bamb0 : 30 Jan 2018 at 08:06 AM.
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2018, 10:33 PM   #8
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

We must thank ReuvenNY for his continued participation as (most probably) this forum's last remaining active moderator.

I know that ones priorities can change over the years, and for sure the majority of the moderators have moved to pastures new.

More's the pity that Edwin appears to have long since abandoned the forum, currently in favour of tweeting about the Nutella Riots in France.
Old 1 Feb 2018, 10:29 AM   #9
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post
Why do you think she’s suspected? On what basis you recognize such a message?
The post looks to be pretty normal, not really detailed, but at least not provided with links, etc.
"I'm the administrator in a company. My work concludes to write and answer to letters. Today I've opened my Inbox in Outlook 2013. I haven't seen yesterday emails. I restarted program, nothing changed. Many emails are very important for us. What can I undertake?"

The wording. An administrator, who's work is to write and answer to letters? Opened Inbox... haven't seen yesterdays emails. Restarted program, emails are very important... what can I undertake... all red flags to me. I see it as a lead in post to more which would have included links. I noted that BiancaGambale is = Permanently banned =
Old 1 Feb 2018, 08:31 PM   #10
communicant

1) Yes, it does clearly state (see far upper left of the page with her post) that she is "permanently banned," so why does her post appear at all? It has been my impression that once a user is banned, that userID is locked out and no posts from it appear after the banning.

2) As for the wording of her post, I have a pretty good ear for these things, and all it tells me is that she is not a native speaker of English. Don't administrators read and write letters or emails? chrisretusn, could you specify in what respects her wording raised "red flags" to you? I would find this very interesting as a linguistic matter, but in this particular example I see no flags, red or otherwise.

3) As for the assertion that links "would" have appeared, are you clairvoyant? I once saw a police dog growl at a passerby who grumbled to the dog's handler that he "hadn't done nothin' ", and the policeman's answer was "You looked as if you were going to."
Same thing?

I have zero tolerance for spammers, but great respect for the rules of evidence and of logic, especially when conclusions are drawn based upon linguistic cues.
communicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2018, 01:32 AM   #11
somdcomputerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
1) Yes, it does clearly state (see far upper left of the page with her post) that she is "permanently banned," so why does her post appear at all? It has been my impression that once a user is banned, that userID is locked out and no posts from it appear after the banning..
In the software I use to run my forum, there are the options to delete a userid (and/or the posts) and ban the userid. When a user is banned, their info (login details, posts, etc..) remains, that user just can't login anymore. They can re-register, but must use a different id, since that one is still in the database. Of course, posts themselves can be deleted.

- Bruce
somdcomputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Feb 2018, 04:41 AM   #12
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisretusn View Post
"I'm the administrator in a company. My work concludes to write and answer to letters. Today I've opened my Inbox in Outlook 2013. I haven't seen yesterday emails. I restarted program, nothing changed. Many emails are very important for us. What can I undertake?"

The wording. An administrator, who's work is to write and answer to letters? Opened Inbox... haven't seen yesterdays emails. Restarted program, emails are very important... what can I undertake... all red flags to me. I see it as a lead in post to more which would have included links. I noted that BiancaGambale is = Permanently banned =
That's quite a reasoned conclusion, and I must say my immediate thoughts on reading that thread - as it happened - were of the same conclusion.

Why also assume that the poster is actually a female, based on the user name?

Actually doing a Google search on that user name brings up pictures of ladies boots, so draw your own conclusions.

What we need is to build a virtual wall, to keep the undesirables out of the forum . . and get them to pay for it.

EMD first!
Old 3 Feb 2018, 07:54 AM   #13
Bamb0
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline
We must thank ReuvenNY for his continued participation as (most probably) this forum's last remaining active moderato
Yes indeed thank you Reuven!!

I have been trying to setup a new membergroup on the site Im a co-admin on WITH MODERATION enabled so nothing will be seen from new members w/o being approved first.. We had more spam the other day (52 posts) I dont know SMF well but im trying........

I have the group setup and the permisisons set but its not enforced!! (I tested it and the post still shows )

SMF is not as easy as vbulletin
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Feb 2018, 11:17 PM   #14
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by communicant View Post
1) Yes, it does clearly state (see far upper left of the page with her post) that she is "permanently banned," so why does her post appear at all? It has been my impression that once a user is banned, that userID is locked out and no posts from it appear after the banning.
The user was not banned at the time I posted the link to the suspect thread. Which is why I said "I noted..."
Old 5 Feb 2018, 11:20 PM   #15
chrisretusn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredOnline View Post
Why also assume that the poster is actually a female, based on the user name?
I assumed the same, could be it wasn't though. Really dislike that word assume.