EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Google Gmail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Google Gmail Forum Discussions related to Google's Gmail service should go here: suggestions, tips, comments, requests for help, tech issues etc.

Old 9 May 2014, 01:30 AM   #1
qajfat

Gmail account

Hi I have been using GMail since it came out and I was invited to register. My email address has always been "fsurname@gmail.com". Recently I have started receiving emails from facebook addressed to "f.surname@gmail.com". I tried to see how that was possible and found out that Google mail ignores all dots in email addresses. That made it worse because it appears that someone has registered a google account with the same name as me!!! How is that possible? I have tried many times to open accounts for friends only to be told that the name was already in use, so I was really surprised that the name, my name, was allocated to someone else.
Now my worry is that since I am receiving someone else's mail, then this someone is probably receiving my mail! I have tried emailing Google support (I got the address from a very old post so it may be unused ) but I heard nothing from them, I also sent them feedback from the gmail website but again no help.
I wonder has anyone ever heard anything like this? And what can I do to ensure my data is still safe? Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Google support?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all
qajfat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 9 May 2014, 03:26 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

The fact that Gmail ignores dots in the username has been there form the beginning. This has nothing do do with the security of your data.
You can filter out (e.g. send to Bin) messges addressed to to f.surname@gmail.com if they bother you.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2014, 06:13 AM   #3
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by qajfat View Post
it appears that someone has registered a google account with the same name as me!!! How is that possible?
It is not possible. You can be sure that nobody else is receiving your mail.
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2014, 11:34 PM   #4
qajfat

Thank you for your replies. I feel somewhat more secure now that you have given me your opinions. I still find it hard that someone just used my email address to register to Facebook though!
Thanks once agiain.
Old 11 May 2014, 11:11 PM   #5
CyberSmurf

Somebody registered at Facebook with one of my addresses back in December. The messages are still coming.

The first message asked me to "Confirm Your Account", which I didn't.
Apparently the confirmation is just a formality, because I have received 77 messages with subjects like "do you know".
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2014, 11:53 PM   #6
kaptitsky
The "e" in e-mail

In the more recent Facebook confirmations, there is a small line at the bottom that allows you to disconnect your e-mail address from the account. This wasn't available in the past.

It's a better solution than having to reclaim the account associated with your e-mail address by resetting the password and cleaning it out, which is also a perfectly legitimate action.
kaptitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2014, 05:31 AM   #7
qajfat

Hi CyberSmurf it's exactly what has been happening to me. I have not confirmed the facebook account but I still receive their emails. I have now taken kaptitsky's advise and reported misuse of my email account. Let's see what happens now.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 12 May 2014, 08:00 AM   #8
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Be sure to use a long and impossible to guess password for your Gmail and other email accounts, or use two factor authentication. The Facebook signup attempt might have been an accident but it might have been someone attacking you or bothering you. Also remember that anyone can use your email address as the From address in emails, so if you receive bounces or other strange messages related to your Gmail address they may be backscatter.

Since some other services allow people to sign in using their Google or Facebook account credentials, it's important to keep such accounts secure with long hard passwords.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2014, 01:17 PM   #9
just1acc
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptitsky View Post
It's a better solution than having to reclaim the account associated with your e-mail address by resetting the password and cleaning it out, which is also a perfectly legitimate action.
I'd recommend that too.
just1acc is offline   Reply With Quote