EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 3 Nov 2015, 07:58 PM   #1
NJSS
Master of the @

Moving from FastMail to RunBox

I am considering moving from FM to RB, because the acquisition of POBox by FM , and the migration of POBox Mailstore accounts to FM defeats my elegant redundancy.

Can someone who has done the move recently, or who has accounts with both FM & RB, please illustrate the differences between their services.

I make extensive use of FM's file storage & notes, "spoofed" email addresses, but don't use their calendar.

I should add that I have been a delighted customer & supporter of both FM & POBox for many years, but....

Thanks in advance.

NJSS
NJSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 4 Nov 2015, 10:22 AM   #2
David
Ultimate Contributor

@ NJSS: A few weeks ago I moved the other way: after moving from Fastmail to Runbox (about three years ago) I am now using Fastmail again.

What can I say; these two companies are both great and both are very reliable - though Fastmail have the leading edge, methinks.

When you live in London you know you are living inside the hub, of the centre of the world. When you are living in Hampshire it is all very beautiful, you can sit in your garden and listen to the birds singing - it is all very wonderful (both places) - you just have to choose...
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2015, 10:45 PM   #3
adam8matek

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
@ NJSS: A few weeks ago I moved the other way: after moving from Fastmail to Runbox (about three years ago) I am now using Fastmail again.

What can I say; these two companies are both great and both are very reliable - though Fastmail have the leading edge, methinks.

When you live in London you know you are living inside the hub, of the centre of the world. When you are living in Hampshire it is all very beautiful, you can sit in your garden and listen to the birds singing - it is all very wonderful (both places) - you just have to choose...
I like what you wrote. Small is beautifull.
adam8matek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2015, 01:27 AM   #4
David
Ultimate Contributor

Welcome to the forums, adam8matek
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2015, 12:01 AM   #5
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

My experience is as an FM and RB user that RB does less jerking you around with format changes etc.
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2015, 09:16 PM   #6
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSS View Post
I am considering moving from FM to RB, because the acquisition of POBox by FM , and the migration of POBox Mailstore accounts to FM defeats my elegant redundancy.

Can someone who has done the move recently, or who has accounts with both FM & RB, please illustrate the differences between their services.

I make extensive use of FM's file storage & notes, "spoofed" email addresses, but don't use their calendar.

I should add that I have been a delighted customer & supporter of both FM & POBox for many years, but....

Thanks in advance.

NJSS
Hello, NJSS.

I've been using both for many years. Although I use Fastmail daily and Runbox randomly, I prefer Runbox for its fantastic customer and technical support.

In the old days Fastmail support was adequate. Nowadays, perhaps because its customer base has grown quite a bit, its support is hit or miss (especially on the weekends or if you live where your middle of the day would be the middle of the night in Australia).

On the other hand, Runbox personnel will respond to a E-Mail requests usually in a couple of hours (even on weekends). Also, you're not required to log-in to your account and initiate a trouble ticket, as you are with FM.

I have never received a canned response from RB (other than to tell me that I'll be hearing from someone soon), nor will you ever be dealing with someone who has no grasp of what you need help with.

In the old days Rob Mueller used to take care of some support issues for FM. Runbox still has some of its principals doing so.

In spite of its support weaknesses, Fastmail has a better equipment infrastructure than Runbox with no latency (from where I am); you can hand script mail delivery or forwarding rules; you can add virtually unlimited aliases, domains and sub-domains; finally, it cost less than RB (unless you subscribe for three or more years).

In a nutshell: Fastmail is a more practical choice for a business user, although there is something about Runbox that keeps me from not renewing my subscription (tried it twice, but couldn't stay away).

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Nov 2015, 04:38 AM   #7
NJSS
Master of the @

Thanks Jacinto

I'm an old Runbox user for many years, but let my subscription lapse.

It looks as if I shall probably be returning to the fold.

NJSS
Old 17 Nov 2015, 05:10 AM   #8
sheprd
The "e" in e-mail

I am a long time user of both FM and RB Will let my FM expire now
sheprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Nov 2015, 04:17 AM   #9
gecko

I am a long-time RB user and am very satisfied. Luckily, I had to contact RB's support only a few times (as it should be...) but whenever I submitted a ticket help has never been far away and the solutions offered were excellent.

Moreover, their servers are located in Norway. IMO also an argument in favour of RB.

Best,
gecko
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2016, 09:04 PM   #10
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
In same position as NJSS. That's why I opened a trial account with Runbox.
First impression is positive. Fast and functional webclient. Also works good on my iPad. Unfortunately it lacks a mobile/smartphone client. Wrote to support tonight (weekend!) and got by return response from Liz. Reminds me of the old days of FastMail. Maybe FastMail growed too big.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2016, 01:19 AM   #11
a570767

I moved the other way. I currently have both RB and recently purchased FM. Mostly due to lack of support for mobile and lack of dedicated iphone app.
I am now in the process of moving towards FM. Will probably let RB expire.

Last edited by a570767 : 16 Feb 2016 at 07:47 AM.
a570767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2016, 03:58 AM   #12
William9
The "e" in e-mail

The built in iPhone mail app work fine with Runbox (IMAP)
William9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2016, 05:54 PM   #13
filbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by a570767 View Post
I moved the other way. I currently have both RB and recently purchased FM. Mostly due to lack of support for mobile and lack of dedicated iphone app.
I'm intrigued as to why you'd want a dedicated Runbox email app for iPhone? There's a host of very competent mail clients out there that an email provider could never get close to duplicating without a *lot* of expensive development work. Let the email provider spend their resources on the server end and the client developers on the client end...

Am I missing something????
filbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2016, 09:01 PM   #14
NJSS
Master of the @

I can't speak for Apple users, as I shun as many proprietary systems as possible, but K-9 Mail works well with both RunBox & FastMail.

NJSS
Old 15 Feb 2016, 10:18 PM   #15
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
I can't speak for Apple users, as I shun as many proprietary systems as possible, but K-9 Mail works well with both RunBox & FastMail.

NJSS
At least I would be happy with a interface special for smartphone browsers, so I could use the proprietary feature set of RMM on my phone.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote