EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 23 Jul 2016, 02:56 AM   #1
paleolith
Cornerstone of the Community

FM app pulling conversations from multiple folders

I recently got my first smartphone, an Android. Of course one of the first apps I loaded was FM -- I don't plan to use it for email much, but definitely as a backup while traveling.

But I immediately noticed that in conversations it displays two copies of every message in my primary email folder. The reason is obvious: I copy (via Sieve) all incoming email to an archive folder, and the FM app is pulling conversation-related messages from all folders rather than just the current folder. I don't see any way to disable conversation display, but even if could, I can't deal with my email without some form of conversation grouping, whether it's "standard" or not.

I have the same problem with the web interface. That's one reason I don't use it. The other reason is simply that I prefer using a local interface. (Webmail has improved enormously, but I still prefer local response.)

My only other option is to use a third party email app. That's what I do on the desktop -- FM doesn't provide a desktop app, and there are several still thriving despite the popularity of webmail. I suspect that FM's app is an excellent one, and using it would mean I don't have to find another and figure out any inconsistencies resulting from the third part app interfacing with FM.

So using the FM app would be my preferred route ... if I could get it to listen when I say "just this folder". Is there any way to get it to listen?

Edward
paleolith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 23 Jul 2016, 05:20 AM   #2
akorvemaker
Master of the @

I don't think there's an option for that. Conversations can be completely disabled, but it's an all-or-nothing option. (Settings... Mail... Preferences... Reading... Conversations).

On Android I use AquaMail and have been quite happy with it, but I'm not sure if it would fit your particular desires or not.

Andy
akorvemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2016, 10:16 AM   #3
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

I seem to remember a thread about a year ago where this issue was discussed. I argued at the time that Fastmail should dedupe messages in the conversation based on the unique message id. Fastmail staff involved in the thread disagreed for reasons that seemed incorrect to me.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2016, 11:09 PM   #4
paleolith
Cornerstone of the Community

Thanks. I will try AquaMail. That's probably easier than arguing with FM ...

Edward
paleolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2016, 11:36 PM   #5
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleolith View Post
Thanks. I will try AquaMail. That's probably easier than arguing with FM ...

Edward
Hello, Edward.

I would give K-9 Mail a whirl:

https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/releases

I've been using it for years and it gets better with each release.

--
Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2016, 01:18 PM   #6
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
I seem to remember a thread about a year ago where this issue was discussed. I argued at the time that Fastmail should dedupe messages in the conversation based on the unique message id. Fastmail staff involved in the thread disagreed for reasons that seemed incorrect to me.
I agree with you 100%

/Cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote