EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 18 Jan 2007, 02:50 PM   #1
petrs

spam & leaked usernames?

is runbox having issue w/ leaked usernames?

I've signed up about a week ago w/ 8-character user name (shouldn't be too short) that doesn't have any meaning in any language but italian. I haven't sent a single email from that account, still I am receiving around 10-15 spam messages a day...

I'm also using paid service of microsoft for about 2 years and I don't receive more than 1 or 2 spam emails a monh there...

Last edited by petrs : 18 Jan 2007 at 03:00 PM.
petrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 18 Jan 2007, 10:05 PM   #2
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
I don't think so.

I have several usernames that don't receive any spam and I've had them for a couple of years.

One does get a lot of spam but that doesn't surprise me for that particular account.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2007, 10:47 PM   #3
petrs

what suprises me is the speed & # of spam emails I am getting - only one week after I signed up...

I do get a lot of spam to my office email - about 20-30 a day, but I work here for > 10years so it doesn't surpise me.

I just feel helpless after signing up for 3-year period w/ runbox :-(
Old 19 Jan 2007, 01:03 AM   #4
mbz

Quote:
Originally posted by petrs
In this case, I would have requested a change of username. Contact Runbox support. I am sure they will help you.

Please see this post, quote #2, for a great explanation on possible reasons behind your username being spammed.
mbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2007, 01:27 AM   #5
carverrn
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Runbox.com
Quote:
Originally posted by petrs
what suprises me is the speed & # of spam emails I am getting - only one week after I signed up...

I do get a lot of spam to my office email - about 20-30 a day, but I work here for > 10years so it doesn't surpise me.

Have you ever used that username, not the full address but just the username, at any other service ... Yahoo ID, Yahoo Mail, Yahoo Groups, Hot Mail, Newsgroups ... your office email username?

Spammers frequently take usernames from other emails, forums and newsgroups and automatically add them to the domains for common email services. This is because people like to use the same username from one service to another.

For example, a quick Goolge on your forum name "petrs" found that name at flickr.com, wikimedia.org, couchsurfing.com and an email address at sources.redhat.com.

You might want to try that with the Runbox username you used.

Regards,
Rich
carverrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2007, 01:49 AM   #6
petrs

for obvious reasons my username is not petrs - then I would most likely be - rightfully so - called stupid by several users of this forum for using so short username :-)

my username is double the length, 8 characters. I used to have a gmail account w/ the same username and I own .net domain w/ the same text.

I guess I will try & request change of username - my desired one gives 'only' 180 hints on google compared to 437 for my current username...