EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > Runbox Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Runbox Forum Everything related to Runbox should go here: suggestions, comments, complaints, questions, technical issues, etc.

Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:01 PM   #1
zapata
Essential Contributor

Angry After 6 hours Runbox IMAP server is down again!

Congratulations! The IMAP server was up for about 6hours!
Would you be so kind and fix it again?

mvh
zapata is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 6 Mar 2005, 10:21 PM   #2
petrs

webmail interface's too slow
petrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Mar 2005, 11:56 PM   #3
esj472

Me too

I'm finding the web interface kind of slow today. I suppose we should be grateful that at least we got something ?
esj472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2005, 05:53 AM   #4
marcus0263
Cornerstone of the Community

This week was the final straw for me, I've started the hassle of transferring my mail over to another mail service. zapata if you you're looking for a good secure IMAP provider I recommend checking slashmail.org or imap4all.com. I've actually went with both and they've been great so far.

Runbox really has to make drastic improvements before I can even consider trusting them, let alone renewing. e-mail is critical for me to stay employed, having a flaky service is not an option.
marcus0263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2005, 06:03 AM   #5
andykowal

Quote:
This week was the final straw for me, I've started the hassle of transferring my mail over to another mail service.
Marcus, how are you doing this transfer? I have to do the same thing.

Thanks!
Andy
andykowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2005, 06:39 AM   #6
marcus0263

The easiest way to do it is with IMAP, it's basicly just drag it into the other folder. I use Mulberry but T-Bird works great also. Just create the two accounts then it's as simple as just dragging the mail from one folder to the other. That's one of the many things I love about IMAP instead of POP.

With all the problems with he runbox servers you may have to wait a bit to accomplish this. In the mean time just set your new provider to fetch the mail from runbox.
Old 7 Mar 2005, 02:00 PM   #7
jbs
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by marcus0263
This week was the final straw for me, I've started the hassle of transferring my mail over to another mail service. zapata if you you're looking for a good secure IMAP provider I recommend checking slashmail.org or imap4all.com. I've actually went with both and they've been great so far.
Marcus-

If you don't mind my asking (and since I suspect it may become relevant to more people here) the features I find most useful in Runbox are (in order):

- ability to send "from" any email address easily
- powerful filters
- multiple access channels (POP, IMAP, web, fast)

I signed up for a trial slashmail account and it sounds like you can do the first one, but perhaps only with a piad account? I did not find any mention of the second, and they seem to have pretty good coverage of the third.

If you've had sufficient time to learn about them, could you weigh in on how well one or the other of those services address these three needs?

Anyone else have suggestions of providers who can do these three things, but with greater reliability than we've had recently?

As I said in my post to Hans, I'm still hoping that he can commit to a date to restore service, and that I'll remain a Runbox customer, but I've reached a point where I want to have an alternative lined up, in case Hans won't make (or can't meet) that commitment.

Thanks!

--Jason
jbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2005, 04:52 PM   #8
marcus0263

Quote:
but I've reached a point where I want to have an alternative lined up, in case Hans won't make (or can't meet) that commitment.

Thanks!
I've reached that point and I'm also looking to see if Runbox can pull it together. Only now we've went beyond the point of me being able to depend on them as my primary provider. SSL is a must over IMAP and stability, they cannot seem to be able to deliver on either at this point.

Slashmail is really decent if you primarily use an IMAP client. The support is very responsive and helpful. I had issues with Mulberry and they've went out of their way to work on it (even contacting the vendor). They use Dspam and scan mail for virus's. They don't have extensive filters, but unlimited bandwidth and storage space. I've archived my e-mail with them (5+ years worth) and use them as my archive. The web client is squirrelmail and it functions well, no complaints. They're cheap ($13.95) year, fast, secure, and stable. Oh and did I mention they're open source? They support and fund open source projects.

As a primary I use imap4all, they've got great filters, external mail fetching, Spam, Antivirus, POP3, free MX hosting, multiple aliases, etc. They plan on putting in a calendar shortly with sync ability to your mail client. I've got the Silver with 3 Gig storage where the Gold gives you 5 Gig and more goodies. The web client is mailhorde which is decent, not bloated but has decent features .

If you do all your e-mail through a web client you may want to migrate to Gmail for a free account. imap4all.com really has some decent features and to me they're worth the $$. I've had a Gmail account for sometime, they've been alright. They don't support IMAP and have no plans to do so, which is lame. I get allot of Spam through GMail, but in their defense they catch most of it. I don't use them because of their lack of IMAP support, but I've got a bunch of invites if anyone needs them.

Having imap4all and slashmail as an archive suits my needs. I just wish I didn't have to go through all this hassle, Runbox was great up until about 6 months ago. You know changing it on my resume, billing accounts, you know the deal.

I'm only speculating but with them offering the business accounts I'm thinking they leaped before they looked. It's looking more and more like lack of proper planning and foresight. Then again I dunno, everyone's got opinions.

Well that's my summary, hope it helps.

Something I forgot, here's a snippet from Imap4all (maybe Runbox should take example) "redundant being the key here"

With fast, reliable and independent e-mail service:

* Redundant & balanced highspeed connections and peerings to the best internet networks in the world
* Fastest, full redundant mailservers on the globe
* Guaranteed full back-up every day
* No limitation in storage, e-mail size and attachments
* Provider independent e-mail address(es) that you can choose
* Use your own domain name for your e-mail address

Last edited by marcus0263 : 7 Mar 2005 at 05:14 PM.