EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 5 Nov 2016, 08:41 PM   #61
17pm
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
Can you briefly outline what they are. A quick scan did not reveal to me what they currently are, though I would anticipate some new features in the future not being made available to legacy accounts.

Settings->policy
17pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2016, 09:02 PM   #62
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17pm View Post
Settings->policy
In an Enhanced account, under Settings -> Policy I see
  • General -> Company
  • Custom Login -> Theme, Title and Logo
  • Disclaimer
What further items does Standard provide?
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2016, 09:23 PM   #63
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritTim View Post
What further items does Standard provide?
I kept seeing people say this as well, but based on a discussion in another thread, my understanding is that everybody sees the same options, but they're only accessible if the "Enhanced" account is part of a "Family" or "Business" account — otherwise you're told you need to upgrade to a "Standard" account (this is probably also why so many responses are simply pointing to the "Settings->Policy" screen, as if it should be self-evident by looking at it ).

Makes sense, of course, since these types of "branding" options were only available to Family/Business accounts under the old plan as well (they were just in a difference place, IIRC).
jhollington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2016, 09:32 PM   #64
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReuvenNY View Post
And additional cost...
Well yes, of course. I was talking primarily about features. However, the additional cost is more than offset by the additional storage, so you're technically paying less per GB than before.

Obviously it's not worth if if you don't need the extra storage of course, but on a per-GB basis, Standard is actually a better deal at $2/GB (vs $2.67/GB on Enhanced) just for mail storage, and $1.20/GB (vs $2/GB on Enhanced) if you factor in the file storage as well.
Old 5 Nov 2016, 11:55 PM   #65
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
I kept seeing people say this as well, but based on a discussion in another thread, my understanding is that everybody sees the same options, but they're only accessible if the "Enhanced" account is part of a "Family" or "Business" account — otherwise you're told you need to upgrade to a "Standard" account (this is probably also why so many responses are simply pointing to the "Settings->Policy" screen, as if it should be self-evident by looking at it ).

Makes sense, of course, since these types of "branding" options were only available to Family/Business accounts under the old plan as well (they were just in a difference place, IIRC).
Ah, yes, thank you. For my clients, the only significant one is the disclaimer. Although not quite so nice, this can be included in signatures instead.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 10:18 PM   #66
north

For my its not clear how much aliases and how short they can be are allowed in new Standard plan. I do not use own domain stuff. Is it then possible to chance from old enhanced to new Basic plan?
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Nov 2016, 10:32 PM   #67
jhollington
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
For my its not clear how much aliases and how short they can be are allowed in new Standard plan. I do not use own domain stuff. Is it then possible to chance from old enhanced to new Basic plan?
From the new Account Limits page it looks like they've basically just gone with the "Enhanced" limits on Aliases across all accounts, so you can have up to 600 for a single account, plus 15 more for each additional user on the same billing plan.

Not sure about the minimum length of an alias, but I doubt that's any different from the current Enhanced plan either (which can basically be as short as a single character). However, if you're not using your own domain, you're more likely to find yourself restricted by what aliases are actually available, since of course they have to be unique across the entire shared domain that you choose to create the alias in.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't downgrade to a Basic plan, provided you're not using anything that would require a "Standard" plan, such as your own domains. According to FastMail's help on How to upgrade or downgrade your account, "It's not possible to downgrade if you are using features not available on the chosen plan, such as archiving or a custom domain.". You would have to remove those features manually if you're downgrading, so you shouldn't be in for any surprises. The only gotcha seems to be that if you're already using more storage than the "Basic" plan would provide, FastMail will automatically add the extra storage quota, so you should ensure your usage fits within the "Basic" plan before trying to downgrade (see Migrate from a Legacy Plan for more info on that).

Last edited by jhollington : 9 Nov 2016 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Corrected typos
Old 9 Nov 2016, 02:27 AM   #68
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhollington View Post
The only gotcha seems to be that if you're already using more storage than the "Basic" plan would provide, FastMail will automatically add the extra storage quota, so you should ensure your usage fits within the "Basic" plan before trying to downgrade (see Migrate from a Legacy Plan for more info on that).
I think charging for the (new) extra storage is quite fair ...but I agree it would be better if the system warned you of this (extra) expense before you commit to the downgrade.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Nov 2016, 04:48 AM   #69
north

@jhollington: thanks for the detailed description. i guess i will downgrade. storage in basic is far enough for me.
north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2016, 02:38 AM   #70
Quincy_G

Say GoodBye

Dear Shareholders, Today I would like to say goodbye to the fastmail forums, after many years I have now moved my 3 domains and terminated the account. Reasons were mainly the feeling, which is to be pulled with the new prices inventory customers as well as the permanent state around the Android app which one can hardly use what does not also go in the browser, which can not share their content and not on Addresses stored in the smartphone and so on.
I wish you all the best.
Quincy_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2016, 12:43 PM   #71
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
I'm genuinely curious, where do you go and get something comparable?
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2016, 03:23 PM   #72
Quincy_G

Hello, I was a long time looking and tested many providers, also posteo.de or mailbox.org all were not bad. Some Exchange vendors were also there. But something really comparable and especially so sophisticated Webmailer I unfortunately did not find.

So I unfortunately had to go to a worse solution and have now finally changed to one.com. So far, at least the reliability has proven, as well as the spam filter is not bad, if not as good as with fastmail. But I have jtzt 5 accounts, distributed on 3 domains and need 2 more in the foreseeable future. This means that at almostmail 7 x 50 $ in the year so 350 $. At one.com, the number of accounts is arbitrary and I am paying for 200GB $ 92.

Now I leave the search to rest and collect my experiences with one.com.
Old 20 Nov 2016, 06:20 PM   #73
TheJapanese

Which 7 x 50$?

Isn't it possible to use all the accounts within one fastmail account? I can add domains, mails etc.

Or isn't it possible within one account?

For me I just want to switch to fastmail with the whole family.

I do have 3 domains and want:
- one account for my wife (using her own domain and our family domain)
- one account for myself (using my domain and same family domain as my wife - but another mail-adress).

Possible?
TheJapanese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Nov 2016, 07:36 PM   #74
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJapanese View Post
Which 7 x 50$?

Isn't it possible to use all the accounts within one fastmail account? I can add domains, mails etc.

Or isn't it possible within one account?

For me I just want to switch to fastmail with the whole family.

I do have 3 domains and want:
- one account for my wife (using her own domain and our family domain)
- one account for myself (using my domain and same family domain as my wife - but another mail-adress).

Possible?
The way I read the $50 x 7 is the rule that one standard account implies all the other connected accounts must be standard accounts. He needs accounts for seven people. The number of domains was largely irrelevant.

In your situation, you would need two accounts, likely standard accounts, so 2 x $50 = $100 per year. You could decide whether to connect them administratively, or manage them as completely independent accounts. In the latter case, there is still no problem allowing email addresses from a domain managed at one account to deliver to the other account, if desired.
Old 21 Nov 2016, 12:26 AM   #75
Quincy_G

Yes, you are right, I have 7 people each have their own account, which spread on 3 domains. If you want to use your own domains, you need at least the standard account