EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 10 Jan 2021, 12:56 AM   #1
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Fastmail continues to be plagued by External Calendar Sync Issues

I'm getting fed up. I quit my Google calendars last year, and I migrated everything to Fastmail.

BUT, I have numerous work accounts where I get Calendar events, and I need these sync'd with Fastmail.

I've MISSED MANY important meetings because Fastmail is NOT syncing correctly externally.

I raised a support ticket about this last year, and the issue was supposedly solved. Now, I'm missing events again, because.... Guess what???

Calendars are NOT being sync'd with external services again.

I'm getting fed up here...

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Jan 2021, 01:59 AM   #2
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

1 hour later, things have finally sync'd, but this does not seem to be happening regularly....

Not convinced this is solved yet...
Old 10 Jan 2021, 02:30 AM   #3
ioneja
Cornerstone of the Community

Bummed to hear all that. I don't use the Fastmail calendar, I just need more flexibility with other apps and I (sadly... very sadly) still use an old Google account just for their calendar (noooooooooo!!!!!!) and Apple calendar (sad but true) due to easier compatibility with colleagues and the need to have shared editable calendars that work well with our various apps. I've tried many calendars but those two seem to be the most compatible for what I need, sadly. I never made the leap over to Fastmail's calendar since when it came out I had initial issues and never spent the effort to try to resolve them.

I have been thinking of giving another attempt at retiring those two calendars, though, so I'm disappointed that there are still issues with Fastmail's calendar. I do need an alternative that works well with all my colleagues and apps! Very frustrating.

My favorite kind of calendar, though, that serves as my master calendar BTW, is paper and pen, but it has limited features compared to any of the others, although it is 100% reliable, has no bugs, and has 100% uptime, even during complete internet outages.
ioneja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2021, 02:49 AM   #4
TenFour
Master of the @

Not really a solution, but I have found it is too confusing and cluttered to have my work and personal calendars on the same app. Too easy to schedule something on the wrong calendar. For work we use Microsoft for Business anyway, so I use the Outlook app on my phone for my work email and calendar. Keeps things separate and much less confused, at least for me. I also found this works much better for email too.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2021, 09:27 AM   #5
gardenweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
I'm getting fed up. I quit my Google calendars last year, and I migrated everything to Fastmail.

BUT, I have numerous work accounts where I get Calendar events, and I need these sync'd with Fastmail.

I've MISSED MANY important meetings because Fastmail is NOT syncing correctly externally.

I raised a support ticket about this last year, and the issue was supposedly solved. Now, I'm missing events again, because.... Guess what???

Calendars are NOT being sync'd with external services again.

I'm getting fed up here...

/cl
I use the Fastmail calendar as my prime calendar.
I have some calendars sync'd from others who are using Gmail for their email and calendaring. As far as I can tell, their events seem to sync into my FM calendar fine. I believe there is a time lag due to the Google imposed sync frequency (every 12 hours?).
Also, I recall testing calendar syncing with an Outlook calendar some time ago and coming across a MS imposed sync frequency (also ~ 12 hrs?).

Which calendar platforms are not syncing for you?
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2021, 10:53 PM   #6
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Google does not have an imposed 12 hour sync interval.

Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.
Old 12 Jan 2021, 12:42 AM   #7
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

As an update, when sync is working well, Google calendar and Fastmail seem to sync about once per minute. Changes take about 60 seconds to propagate between platforms.

/cl
Old 14 Jan 2021, 07:43 PM   #8
eggman
Essential Contributor

Google calendar sync still failing or maybe just slow

Google calendar isnt synchronising today - caused a minor arguament between me and my spouse

If we remove google calendar and re-add it then does that force a sync?
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2021, 12:59 PM   #9
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman View Post
Google calendar isnt synchronising today - caused a minor arguament between me and my spouse

If we remove google calendar and re-add it then does that force a sync?

It did NOT for me.

Please contact support. They think I'm making this stuff up. Google Cal sync is BROKEN.

/cl
Old 18 Jan 2021, 01:28 PM   #10
eggman
Essential Contributor

I forced a sync by creating an item in the iOS Fastmail app on my phone and it got an event added on gmail app. Maybe the poll is broken?
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2021, 02:12 AM   #11
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Yeah, something doesn't seem right.

Again, I suggest contacting support and let them know you are having this problem.
Old 22 Jun 2021, 10:44 PM   #12
Mugwhamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post
Yeah, something doesn't seem right.

Again, I suggest contacting support and let them know you are having this problem.
Was this ever fully resolved, @ChinaLamb? I'm on the verge of making FM my central calendar.
Mugwhamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2021, 06:11 AM   #13
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwhamp View Post
Was this ever fully resolved, @ChinaLamb? I'm on the verge of making FM my central calendar.
Im not experiencing any issues currently.