EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > The Off-Topic Lounge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

The Off-Topic Lounge APPROPRIATE FAMILY-FRIENDLY TOPICS ONLY - READ THE RULES!
This forum is for posting anything (excluding topics prohibited by the forum rules) that's unrelated to email. General discussions, in other words.

Old 10 Feb 2014, 02:42 AM   #1
Annonymous

Web Browser Questions

After removing a virus from my computer, by doing a System Restore, my IE 7 is on my computer. However, I keep getting messages to upgrade my browser. I've attempted to download several versions of IE for a back up web browser. Every time any of the downloads complete, I get a pop up window that suggests I download IE 8 from the Microsoft official website. I did so, & another window popped up saying that IE 8 isn't compatable with my operating system. I checked the download & saw that it's for Windows XP. My operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium. So I deleted the files for WIndows XP. Then I attempted to download IE 9, which is what I had on my computer before the virus. However that download was unsuccessful as well. Anothe pop up appeared saying that 'IE 9 did not finish installing. This version of IE set up doesn't support your version of Windows. Download the version of IE designed for your computer from microsoft. Which takes me to the IE 8 download that I first tried, which doesn't install.

My other issue is with FIrefox. After downloading the web browser, it takes forever to for most web pages to load. IE 7 is much faster. I prefer to use Firefox, however I'm uncertain which version is compatible with my operating system. Again it is Windows Vista Home Premium.

Last edited by Annonymous : 14 Feb 2014 at 12:18 AM.
Annonymous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10 Feb 2014, 03:48 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annonymous View Post
. I prefer to use Firefox, however I'm uncertain which version is compatible with my operating system. Again it is Windows Vista Home Premium.
FF 26 (the latest one) is compatible, see https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo...-requirements/
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2014, 04:14 AM   #3
Annonymous

Firefox 26.0 is the one that I downloaded on my computer. It's turtle slow though. I was hoping there may be a better version to use, since I'm on a pokey dial up connection. If you have any suggestions for how to download IE 9, I'd appreciate the help. Thanks. The complete file downloads, then when I click Install, the pop up window shows with the message saying that IE 9 isn't supported & that I have to download 2 other major files. I updated to IE 9 in the past, & never had to download anything extra in order to be able to finish the Install process, so I don't understand why it's happing now.

This is the message I receive after the IE 9 download is complete: Something about IE 9 not being supported & then the following:

Manually install the prerequisite components
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2399238)

Last edited by Annonymous : 10 Feb 2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 04:53 AM   #4
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

May be previously you installed IE9 on a different version of Windows?
Anyway, if Microsoft tells you you have to download some extras for IE9 to work, why don't you?
Old 10 Feb 2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Annonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
May be previously you installed IE9 on a different version of Windows?
Anyway, if Microsoft tells you you have to download some extras for IE9 to work, why don't you?

No. It's the same OS I've always had on this laptop. I was hoping I could find a way around the extra downloads, since my Internet connection is so slow. The download for the first update is over 4 hours long, & I keep getting 'Connection Timed Out' messages simply attempting to download IE 9 without all the extras.
Old 10 Feb 2014, 04:26 PM   #6
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Suggestion: download the whole caboodle on another PC with a faster connection, copy the files to a USB drive and install it from there back home.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 03:12 AM   #7
Annonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by janusz View Post
Suggestion: download the whole caboodle on another PC with a faster connection, copy the files to a USB drive and install it from there back home.
I appreciate the suggestion, however I don't own any of the required equiptment listed above, & wouldn't know how to use such items regardless. Along with the fact that funds are an issue, I must pinch pennies so tight they squeak & give Lincoln a migraine, so purchasing any extras is out of the question. I even tried saving the IE 9 file to my computer, so I could fiddle around & try try to add it after the entire file is downloaded. The icon shows up on my computer screen, however when I click on it, I get the following message:'IE did not finish installing'. 'This version of IE Setup doesn't support your version of windows. Download the version of IE designed for your Windows Operating System from http://go.microsoft.com?fwlink/?LinkID=184798. My question: Why would I receive the message that IE 9 doesn't support my version of Windows,when IE 9 was installed previously on my computer without any issues? That doesn't make any sense.
Old 12 Feb 2014, 09:08 AM   #8
DrStrabismus
The "e" in e-mail

Have you looked into broadband? If you can get it, it's probably cheaper than dial-up.

Otherwise you might try Opera, it has a "turbo mode" that speeds-up websites by going through a server that increases image compression.

Whatever you do browsers need to be updated regularly to keep then secure.
DrStrabismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2014, 05:10 AM   #9
Annonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrStrabismus View Post
Have you looked into broadband? If you can get it, it's probably cheaper than dial-up.

Otherwise you might try Opera, it has a "turbo mode" that speeds-up websites by going through a server that increases image compression.

Whatever you do browsers need to be updated regularly to keep then secure.
Thanks for the tip, That was my next question. Wondering what other web browsers are good to use. I may try Opera. I've heard of Safari & Google Chrome. Not much else known about them, other than they're available. I thought of trying Broadband. It costs $5 more per month, & don't know that I can afford the extra expense. I've talked to a few people who have it & some like it, while others don't care for it. The biggest complaints I've heard is 1. Connection problems, 2. That the economy pricing of $14.95 per month is only for the first year. After that time, the price increases to $29.95-$39.95 per month, depending on the level of choice. I certainly can't afford that expense each month. Anyway, I'll give Opera a try. Thanks again for the tip. By the way, could you post a link to the Opera web browser to which you are referring. It would be easier if I know exactly which one to download. Thanks.

Last edited by Annonymous : 13 Feb 2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 13 Feb 2014, 08:07 AM   #10
pr472

Another web browser?

The web browser I use is palemoon; it is excellent!

palemoon.org
pr472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2014, 12:17 AM   #11
Annonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr472 View Post
The web browser I use is palemoon; it is excellent!

palemoon.org
Thanks for the tip. I'll check that one out as well. I'm using Firefox right noow. It seems to be a bit faster than when I used it after first downloading it. I'd just like to have a spare web browser, so I can still access the Internet, in the event that one browser has issues at some point. I would still very mc\uch appreciate a link to Opera, for the specific version referred to in a previous post above, by another member. Thanks.

Last edited by Annonymous : 14 Feb 2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 14 Feb 2014, 01:27 AM   #12
Annonymous

I just did a Google search for the Palemoon web browser & it said 64 bit, I have Windows Vista Home Premium & my computer is 32 bit, Is there a download which is compatable with my operating system? If so, please provide a link, Thanks. I don't want to download somethkng that won't run on my computer. Been there, did that already, Another question: How do I determine what kind of Processor is installed on my computer?
Old 14 Feb 2014, 01:41 AM   #13
Annonymous

What's the Difference

Between Opera 12 & 19 web browsers? I just did a Google search & found both available for Windows operating system. Both are compatable with Windows Vista. One uses more disk space than the other, so I am assuming one is for a faster connection & the other for a slower connection, Opera 12 is the one that takes up less space, so I am wondering if that is the option I should use? Thanks for any & all help.
Old 6 Mar 2014, 04:12 PM   #14
NickJ004

I use palemoon. it is excellent.

I use palemoon. it is excellent.
NickJ004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Mar 2014, 02:29 AM   #15
Adrian Bell
Cornerstone of the Community

Opera 12 is Opera (like it used to be). Opera 19 is just chrome with a few tweaks, there is hardly any difference between this and Chrome.

If you want to try different browsers without installing them try here: http://portableapps.com/apps/internet
Adrian Bell is offline   Reply With Quote