EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Miscellaneous > About this site...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

About this site... Do you have any thoughts, suggestions or comments about this site? Post them here...

Old 11 Sep 2005, 09:01 AM   #1
rvijay

Help Maintain This Site.

Here is a general suggestion for consideration. On the right of this site below are links pages with info. on several services.
http://www.emailaddresses.com/

Some of these services it appears are no longer offered. It would be very helpful if users here, checked on a few of those links each and posted here any of the Services that are no longer offered. This will greatly help to keep these links uptodate. Single handedly for one person to do this talk can be quite overwhelming.

Vijay
rvijay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12 Sep 2005, 05:28 AM   #2
trew
Cornerstone of the Community

Don't Edwin want to have a say on this topic.

I mean maybe people pay him for keeping them there.

Just Trew trying to get it.

As always, I will change this text if I need to stand corrected. Or mods could delete it if proper.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Sep 2005, 06:49 AM   #3
rvijay

Quote:
Originally posted by trew
Don't Edwin want to have a say on this topic.

I mean maybe people pay him for keeping them there.

Just Trew trying to get it.

As always, I will change this text if I need to stand corrected. Or mods could delete it if proper.
That is actually a good thought. But in the recent past, the moment I EMailed him dead links he removed them immediately. Also, who will pay someone to keep dead links on their site ? So, to me this doesn't appear to be the issue.

Vijay
Old 13 Sep 2005, 08:58 PM   #4
trew

Yes, I thought a while back things like that too. Maybe your right. To report dead links would be ok. To suggest things to add new services to the list maybe is more sensistive matters.

But the fact that only you and me are active in this thread is kind of making me curious too. A lot os us would be enthusiastic about contributing but the silence from the others suggest to me that this is up to him to decide upon. EMD is his baby.
Old 13 Sep 2005, 09:41 PM   #5
rvijay

Quote:
Originally posted by trew
Yes, I thought a while back things like that too. Maybe your right. To report dead links would be ok. To suggest things to add new services to the list maybe is more sensistive matters.

But the fact that only you and me are active in this thread is kind of making me curious too. A lot os us would be enthusiastic about contributing but the silence from the others suggest to me that this is up to him to decide upon. EMD is his baby.
Thanks for this helpful observation. For sure, the aim of this thread is to assist this site without sidestepping. Anything done via this thread if at all, will be ONLY with the concent of Edwin and the moderators.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 08:20 PM   #6
The Storm
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by rvijay
Thanks for this helpful observation. For sure, the aim of this thread is to assist this site without sidestepping. Anything done via this thread if at all, will be ONLY with the concent of Edwin and the moderators.
I don't see edwin having a problem with that I mean I'm sure he has a day job aswell, so its a bonus (and generous) of forum members donating their time and effort to maintain the database
The Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2005, 08:29 PM   #7
trew

Then we have the logistic side of it. Only sticky threads are easy to find. Edwin would have to look three pages down to find a relevant note on a defunct one.

And how many days them being defunc should count as them not there? We need to set it up so it is functional.

we already have the Early warnings threads. Some get back on track due to change of hosting hotel or DNS trouble or attacks from spammers and such. so we need to set it up so we don't make false alarms?

Only me thinking aloud, not right on I guess.
Old 18 Sep 2005, 02:57 AM   #8
CyberSmurf

Edwin is away from September 10th to 26th.
CyberSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2005, 08:40 AM   #9
Edwin
 Administrator 

There's no database - I do all updates manually.

Generally (i.e. when I'm not away) I respond to all dead link reports sent to infoATemailaddresses.com within a few days, and that's probably still the best way to alert me to them.
Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2005, 08:45 AM   #10
rvijay

Quote:
Originally posted by Edwin
There's no database - I do all updates manually.

Generally (i.e. when I'm not away) I respond to all dead link reports sent to infoATemailaddresses.com within a few days, and that's probably still the best way to alert me to them.
That is very good. Then volunteers can check links, post dead ones here as well as EMail them to you.

Vijay
Old 27 Sep 2005, 09:10 AM   #11
Edwin
 Administrator 

Best to just email them to me, especially if they no longer point to email services.
Old 27 Sep 2005, 05:21 PM   #12
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Edwin,

Have you ever considered switching to a database-based design for emailaddresses.com? Sounds to me like storing everything in a db allows you(r users) to unlock a whole myriad of information through queries, like 'find all providers that offer POP3' or 'sort by storage size'.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2005, 06:13 PM   #13
Edwin
 Administrator 

Not possible at this stage given how well-indexed the various pages already are - switching to a DB would break the whole site. Not to mention that it would take a MASSIVE amount of work to record the data, and it would require almost unlimited updates. From where I'm sitting, it's a task I'm not willing to tackle...
Old 27 Sep 2005, 08:08 PM   #14
kander
The "e" in e-mail

Fair enough, Edwin. Too bad, though... would still love to be able to find information like that easily.

--K
kander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2005, 11:57 PM   #15
trew

I guess my hunch was not too far away from how Edwin wants it then?

what I wonder are the opposite. Not those he link to who fail to continue but for how long should a new one exists b4 he incudes them? It pays to be restrictive cause we all know from sad experinces that many just come and go.

So I guess that is why some of them are never mentioned? Despite many of us write about them in the EMD.

I support Edwin being restrictive about incuding services promising too much. But sometimes as a non-professional one wonder. Should one be cautious then of those not included or are they just on the waiting list? For how long?

Trew