EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 27 Dec 2017, 02:22 PM   #1
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Fastmail email on Android is horrible

I can't edit my email messages, make corrections, without everything getting garbled up. I use Android all the time and now i might have to switch away from fastmail.

Another thing that doesn't work is the search feature here, at least on android, so i don't know if this has been discussed here before ir not.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 28 Dec 2017, 12:10 AM   #2
FredOnline
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I can't edit my email messages, make corrections, without everything getting garbled up. I use Android all the time and now i might have to switch away from fastmail.
Have you tried using another mail app instead of the FastMail one?

I use Aqua Mail Pro with FastMail on my Android 'phone without any problem.
FredOnline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2017, 02:49 PM   #3
EricG
Essential Contributor

Doesn't hurt to add your account to the standard gmail/email app, which is fine for simply things and offline access.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Dec 2017, 07:31 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

2018 will be better.

Quote:
More and more people are accessing our products primarily on mobile devices. We have neglected our apps in 2017, and we will remedy that in 2018. Mobile experience is an explicit focus for us in the coming year, and we’ve engaged outside help to assist with our app developmen
https://blog.fastmail.com/2017/12/24/looking-forward/
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2017, 07:47 AM   #5
Grhm
Essential Contributor

If you are struggling with the Android app may I suggest that you experiment with the web interface on different browsers.
I find that certain features work only with certain browsers, but by switching between two browsers (Lightning and Zirco) I can do everything I need.
Grhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2017, 08:55 AM   #6
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grhm View Post
If you are struggling with the Android app may I suggest that you experiment with the web interface on different browsers.
I find that certain features work only with certain browsers, but by switching between two browsers (Lightning and Zirco) I can do everything I need.

OK, I'm trying it now with the browser I've been using, Power browser. Quick test looks OK. Time will tell.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 08:57 AM   #7
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berenburger View Post

OK, we'll see. Right now I am thinking of not renewing and not sure why I switched from free to pay email, as I've just gotten various complaints about images not transmitting.
Old 29 Dec 2017, 09:00 AM   #8
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG View Post
Doesn't hurt to add your account to the standard gmail/email app, which is fine for simply things and offline access.

Duh I've never played well with Gmail. Y'know which email I liked the best? The original old time free Yahoo email before they messed it up!
Old 29 Dec 2017, 02:45 PM   #9
Terry
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Duh I've never played well with Gmail. Y'know which email I liked the best? The original old time free Yahoo email before they messed it up!
Developers live in a different world to the rest of us....
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2017, 07:25 AM   #10
TenFour
Master of the @

There are lots of good email apps. Check out the poorly named TypeApp. Rates 4.6 on Google Play. There's even a dark theme.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2017, 12:30 PM   #11
EricG
Essential Contributor

Quote:
I didn't say use a gmail account! Android comes with perfect usable email apps.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2017, 11:49 PM   #12
fmail_fan

There are many popular Android email apps but I would recommend reading their privacy policy before installing, especially the free ones. Many apps do extensive analysis using your data, some more intrusive than others. There should be a link to the privacy policy (or their website) on the Play Store page.

This is another reason to hope that FastMail will improve their app offerings.
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2017, 12:07 AM   #13
TenFour
Master of the @

I agree with the above that it is important to think about what permissions you are giving, but doesn't it seem that virtually every app requires access to just about everything on your phone? I keep coming back to keeping the simplest, barebones apps as being the ones that are actually the most useful in the long run. For example, all of the sorting that apps want to do doesn't really help me. I've tried Google Inbox a few times and it seems useful at first, but then I get tired of searching through every category looking for the mislabeled emails, or else I find that some emails just refuse to ever go into the correct category no matter how many times I reselect as new emails arrive in the wrong category. Outlook's focused Inbox suffers from the same problems.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2017, 03:28 AM   #14
fmail_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
I agree with the above that it is important to think about what permissions you are giving, but doesn't it seem that virtually every app requires access to just about everything on your phone?
It may seem that way, but in order to derive income, especially from free apps, these companies analyze your email activity, with some actually scanning your content. And there are only a few that connect directly to the email server; others connect and store your data on their servers or leased ones. With data collected from many users you may not be concerned that yours will be compromised. I just wanted to mention that there are privacy concerns with email and many other apps. You have to do your own research if you want to minimize the risks.

Last edited by fmail_fan : 31 Dec 2017 at 03:39 AM.
fmail_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Dec 2017, 09:35 AM   #15
werewolf
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
There are lots of good email apps. Check out the poorly named TypeApp. Rates 4.6 on Google Play. There's even a dark theme.

I have been unsuccessful in my efforts to log on to my fastmail account with this or other email apps. I just keep getting error messages.