EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Oct 2018, 03:30 PM   #391
Bamb0
Master of the @

Thumbs down

UUGGHH I hope not!
Bamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2018, 02:02 AM   #392
ReuvenNY

Moderator's Comment

Was indeed a spammer - banned.
ReuvenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2019, 07:02 AM   #393
an3

Cool Satisfied, long-time member

I've been a Fastmail user almost since Day 1, and a paying subscriber for around 15 years. Even though Gmail has now overtaken FM in terms of ease of use and features, there is one thing that keeps me coming back to FM for my personal email provider:

Unlimited email addresses.

Using the format <anyname.folder@username.fastmail.com>, I'm able to give each company I do business with an email that is completely unique to them, which then gets filed into its own folder. This has saved me numerous times when there have been hacks and data breaches, and my email gets sold to spam/scam artists, who begin flooding my inbox with scams. I know immediately which company gave away my information (since they are the only ones to have that email address), and it takes all of 10 seconds to create a rule to forever block any messages to that email.

It's a feature that is incredibly useful, and I'm surprised that more people don't use it.
an3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2019, 12:31 PM   #394
RLBrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by an3 View Post
Unlimited email addresses.

Using the format <anyname.folder@username.fastmail.com>, I'm able to give each company I do business with an email that is completely unique to them, which then gets filed into its own folder.
I agree, it is very useful. I use it for select purposes. However I feel it is incomplete. You don't have any way to limit the use of the addresses to only those YOU create and you don't have any way to make them go away should you not want them active anymore.

Since your username is part of the address, anyone that wanted to could send you emails to BOZO@username.fastmail.com or replace bozo with thousands of other names that you don't have complete control over.

To keep from totally polluting my FM account, I created some FM aliases and use those in my generated email addresses. If I should get unwanted mail to random addresses as I described, I could kill the alias. That means I'd have to first changes all the addresses that I want to keep.

I'd love for FM to create a real disposable email address tool around this concept (And I'd pay extra for it!). Until then I also use Sneakemail and E4ward which give me the complete control I feel this concept requires. (Note, Sneakemail has shut down new user signups for some time. No idea if they will ever be restarted. This is part the reason I also use E4ward; in case Sneakemail shutsdown.)
RLBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote