EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 19 Jan 2013, 12:29 PM   #1
jkc054

Arrow File Storage Limits Absurd

I have a Full account and pay $10/yr for 1 GB of extra file storage space for a total of 1.1 GBs. The largest file size allowed is 30 MB. This is absurd. With Gmail, a FREE service, I get 5 GB of file storage space and I just uploaded a 94 MB file to my Gmail file storage area. What a joke. Even with FM's Enhanced or Premier account the largest file size is 50 MB. Some audio podcasts I download are over 30 MB which I would love to upload to my FM file storage area but THEY ARE TOO LARGE. Now someone please tell me what is the incentive to stay with Fastmail?
jkc054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Jan 2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Shelded

Fastmail is a premium mail provider, not a web host or file storage host. Used for intended purpose, FM needs make no apology. If you don't like, move along.
Shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2013, 11:21 PM   #3
jkc054

You have a hourly/daily file transfer quota and a file storage quota. Why do you care about or have a limit on the size of the file? I think this is a fair question to ask.
Old 19 Jan 2013, 11:43 PM   #4
jkc054

Below is the response I received from FM support. The technician is obviously confused and thought I was referring to the maximum file attachment size for an email. I could not have made my question any clearer and he still is confused! I NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT TRANSFERRING LARGE FILES VIA EMAIL, MY QUESTION WAS ABOUT THE FILE STORAGE QUOTA. Please explain this. I have uploaded larger files than 30 MB in the past via FTP/DAV so is that capability still available? This calls into question what the maximum file storage size of 30 MB actually means. I just checked and right know I have a 111 MB file that I uploaded to my file storage area using DAV so the maximum file storage size IS NOT 30 MB even though it says that in the documentation.

Hi,

If you are looking to send large files as attachment, we always recommend using the the filestorage. You can upload large files to your filestorage using FTP/DAV clients:

http://www.fastmail.fm/help/remote_f...v_and_ftp.html

and then send a link to that file in your email so that users can download them from your file storage. Email was never designed to transfer large files and we always recommend sending links to files so that the users can download them.

Last edited by jkc054 : 19 Jan 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 12:47 AM   #5
hobbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelded View Post
Fastmail is a premium mail provider, not a web host or file storage host. Used for intended purpose, FM needs make no apology. If you don't like, move along.
Ludicrous.

One of the features of FM is advertised in large, bold text: "Integrated file storage". And there's this feature I noticed called "Websites".

Whether you think the file storage and web hosting features are adequate or not is besides the point. FM is most certainly a web host and storage host, because they.. you know... host file storage and websites.
hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Shelded

@Hobbes, I see your point, but you're stretching the context of my point. OP is asking features beyond the primary role of FM as a mail provider. That's icing, not cake. Happiness won't occur for OP as things are currently arranged. Expectations are the problem in this case.

@jkc054: I just want you to note that I'm not a FM representative so that "you" in your reply might be misplaced if directed to me. I think you should politely reply to the ticket with the same questions you posted here. You cannot get this forum to explode the server barriers for you. Of course, if it's visibility to your problem that you want... then this is a good place.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 01:10 AM   #7
Shelded

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc054 View Post
[...]question what the maximum file storage size of 30 MB actually means. I just checked and right know I have a 111 MB file that I uploaded to my file storage area using DAV so the maximum file storage size IS NOT 30 MB even though it says that in the documentation.
I have never managed a file upload exceeding 50MB. It takes quite a long time for me to wait for the whole upload and then see it fail. After a couple attempts I realized I should ether chunk the file or use another service. Links to file stores are just links, who cares where.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 01:48 AM   #8
jkc054

I just used FileZilla and uploaded and stored successfully a 94 MB file to my FM file storage area. The FM documentation that says the maximum file size that can be uploaded and stored to the file storage area is 30 MB is WRONG! How come FM support does not understand this and apparently others on this Forum?
Old 20 Jan 2013, 01:54 AM   #9
Shelded

Let's see, you're complaining they let you upload a too-large file. Things change and you may either be on the front or the back of any change. Caution: you would not want to have that file unable to download when you need it.
Old 20 Jan 2013, 02:07 AM   #10
jkc054

Exclamation

No, things have not changed in terms of the maximum file size that can be uploaded. The point is that FM documentation is wrong and has been wrong when it states that the maximum file size that can be uploaded and stored in the file storage area is 30 MB. I forgot that I had uploaded using FileZilla a 111 MB file to my file storage area on 12 Feb 2012 and had complained to FM Support that they needed to change their documentation since the maximum file size is obviously greater than 30 MB but FM Support or whomever at FM never did revise the documentation. Since I am paying for extra file storage is it unreasonable to expect the documentation on file storage either to be accurate or to be fixed once a user points out to FM support that the information is JUST PLAIN WRONG? I am not on the front or the back of any change!
Old 20 Jan 2013, 07:11 AM   #11
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

http://www.emaildiscussions.com/show...7&postcount=6:
Quote:
....the website upload is limited to files about 50M.
DAV should support up to about 500M.
FTP supports up to the size of your file storage area in theory.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2013, 07:12 AM   #12
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I believe the FTP/DAV file transfer size limit with Fastmail is still 500 MB (which is also the hourly transfer quota for a Full account). See this post.

Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jan 2013, 08:16 AM   #13
jkc054

My point exactly which is why they need to make this clear in their FM documentation here: https://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastma...ricingtbl.html

But again if the website upload is 50 MB and using something like FileZilla is 500 MB for a Full account why doesn't FM fix the documentation above to reflect that?

I have a ticket in on this. If FM support responds I will post it. Hopefully their next response will make more sense then the last response.

Last edited by jkc054 : 20 Jan 2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 6 Apr 2014, 01:54 PM   #14
werewolf
Essential Contributor

I've been trying to upload a file for the first time with no success. The file is 76MB and I have Enhanced FM. No error message, no nothing, but it just won't upload - nothing happens, I choose the file, click upload, wait a while while the little circle turns...and then the page just vanishes.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Apr 2014, 04:25 PM   #15
gardenweed
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I've been trying to upload a file for the first time with no success. The file is 76MB and I have Enhanced FM. No error message, no nothing, but it just won't upload - nothing happens, I choose the file, click upload, wait a while while the little circle turns...and then the page just vanishes.
Try using FileZilla. I find better success uploading with FileZilla.
gardenweed is offline   Reply With Quote