EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 8 Jul 2008, 05:12 PM   #46
rabarberski
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbt_kid View Post
...By the time I finish an email and send it, the Draft folder can indicate 20+ unread messages, although I cannot actually see any messages in there. The only way to get rid of the indicator is to restart Mail.app....
I've got the same issue since using OS 10.5.x.
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2008, 06:47 PM   #47
robmueller
Intergalactic Postmaster

Representative of:
Fastmail.FM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabarberski View Post
I've got the same issue since using OS 10.5.x.
Can you see messages in there if you look via the web interface? Is the indication saying "20 messages" or "20 unread messages"?

Rob
robmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 Jul 2008, 08:54 PM   #48
rabarberski
Master of the @

@Rob:
Yes, in the webinterface it shows e.g. 3 real draft messages and 17 crossed-out copies of the message I am currently editing.
In Mail, the red message counter on top of the folder (i.e. the number of unread messages) will show 20, while I will see only 3.

I am pretty sure this is an Apple Mail bug, and I don't really worry about it. It is only there for the Drafts folder.
rabarberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 04:52 AM   #49
jennis

OS X Issues

My issue isn't a fastmail problem, but an OS X Mail problem.

I have having trouble defining different personalities (aliases) in OS X Mail where each email address has a different Name.

The only way I see to set it up is two have to email addresses, that share the same Name (ie. Your Reply Name.. Example. John Doe)

If anyone knows of a way to fix it, please let me know.

I use OS X Leopard.

(I am currently using Thunderbird as it works well with differnt aliases)
jennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2008, 06:51 AM   #50
sjk
Master of the @

jennis,

Mail only supports one Full Name for each account, even if an account has multiple Email Address items (that don't accept full names; I've tried). Unfortunately the Email Address field is still an overly simple, error-prone single line of comma (or space, I think) separated addresses. Instead, it could be a sheet that lets you enter Full Name / Address pairs (at least).

Workaround: use leon's applescripts. They're still functional with Mail at least up to 10.4.11; haven't tried 'em on Leopard. Even with some minor quirks they've been acceptable for infrequent use.
sjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 08:59 AM   #51
jackk

1. Mac OS X 10.5.4
2. Inbox
3. No
4. Works perfectly.

btw, any updates on P-IMAP & Fastmail (push email via iPhone)?
jackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 11:19 AM   #52
Sonic Purity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennis View Post
My issue isn't a fastmail problem, but an OS X Mail problem.

I have having trouble defining different personalities (aliases) in OS X Mail where each email address has a different Name.

The only way I see to set it up is two have to email addresses, that share the same Name (ie. Your Reply Name.. Example. John Doe)

If anyone knows of a way to fix it, please let me know.

I use OS X Leopard.
Hi Jennis,

I have not had a chance to try the scripts recommended by sjk. I use a different method, which does work with Fastmail, at least in Mail 2.1.3 for OS 10.4.11 (i do not have Leopard and will not get it until it is "done"... near the end of its life, just before Next Cat):

* Set up a new account with the desired Full Name. For incoming mail, put in "dummy" information that goes to a nonexistent server (i like mail.null.mil). IMAP or POP... does not matter as it is a dummy. You will get a failure message... ignore it. Keep setting up this account with real SMTP settings, either for Fastmail or your ISP... whatever you use for your already working account with the other Full Name.

* Uncheck "Include when automatically checking for new mail" in the Advanced tab of Account Preferences, so you won't keep getting pelted with useless "Help! I can't connect!" error messages from the nonfunctional incoming part of this account in Mail. You will still get a failure in Connection Doctor for this IMAP or POP account, which is expected and should be ignored. It will delay testing in Connection Doctor until the test fails. I sometimes totally disable this alternative Full Name account when there are issues and i need to keep running Connection Doctor to work them out.

You now have an account which will send from this other Full Name identity, yet cannot receive messages, which should keep going to your present incoming account set up in Mail. If you need more than two Full Names, repeat as necessary (i can get by with just two).

I had a problem right after i did this with a message being sent, yet Mail telling me the send had failed. At that time i did NOT have this Full Name as a Personality on the Fastmail server. I put in this Full Name as an alternative Personality, and have had no further issues. I have not carefully tested to find out if this is a coincidence or a required step.

To the original query:

1) OS 10.4.11 and Mail 2.1.3 which goes with it.
2) [nothing in my IMAP Path Prefix box in Mail]
3) I have no User folders and no added folders at all server-side at this time.
4) As expected with my basic arrangements, no issues so far.

))Sonic((
Sonic Purity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jul 2008, 06:45 PM   #53
sjk
Master of the @

Sonic,

Thanks for suggesting that method to jennis.

I've always hated and resisted using dummy accounts, mostly out of stubbornness against the problem with the common definition of an "email account" including both incoming (IMAP, POP) and outgoing (SMTP) services. FastMail personalities and Mulberry identities are examples of how incoming and outgoing can be kept distinct without having to resort to using dummy accounts.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 01:45 AM   #54
Sonic Purity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post
I've always hated and resisted using dummy accounts, mostly out of stubbornness against the problem with the common definition of an "email account" including both incoming (IMAP, POP) and outgoing (SMTP) services. FastMail personalities and Mulberry identities are examples of how incoming and outgoing can be kept distinct without having to resort to using dummy accounts.
Believe me, working out this tacky workaround was a last-ditch effort to make Mail usable for me. I came to Mail directly from Apple's previous email program, part of their 11+ year old internet suite: Cyberdog. Like some/most other programs of that era, Cyberdog has a free-form From: box, so it was trivial to type in whatever "Personality" was needed. This box is auto-filled from Preference settings, yet easily overridden by just typing. And, as i understand Mail 3 in Leopard once again has, Cyberdog has "Letterhead" templates in which to store "Personalities" and any desired message body boilerplate. I guess this all went away in a misguided attempt to foil spammers... i cannot think of any other reason a free-form From: box would be undesirable.

Getting satisfactory email was the last necessity in my circa 2005 migration off OS 9 to OS X as my daily-use OS, and this distasteful workaround was the best i could come up with. Would that Apple and others would (re-)open their minds to the common need for the distinction between incoming and outgoing email service, and how this relates to "Personalities".

))Sonic((
Sonic Purity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2008, 10:13 AM   #55
capkapak

Any further updates on the development for better mail.app integration?
capkapak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jul 2008, 11:29 PM   #56
michaelab

1. 10.5.3
2. INBOX
3. No
4. Everything works perfectly. Have previously experienced the "Drafts" problem mentioned earlier, in Tiger, but since Leopard haven't had the issue.

Michael.
michaelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Aug 2008, 01:52 AM   #57
thomasina

1. 10.5.4
2. In Mail.app I have the IMAP Path Prefix set as blank; I've not tried setting up FastMail in Entourage yet.
3. No subfolders of Inbox
4. So far, and I'm a fairly new user of FastMail, everything works as expected.

I'm still sorting out whether/how I'll use Entourage vs Mail.app. I'll report when I've tried setting up FastMail in Entourage as well.
thomasina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2008, 12:48 AM   #58
mlgoodson

1. 10.5.4.
2. INBOX (all Caps)
3. A couple. Fastmail.fm appearts within apple's tree (Inbox, Sent, Trash, etc.) rather than the other way around.
4. Things work fine, but since I only have one computer I use a mail filter to move the items from the Fastmail server to the local computer. I send mail this way as well. So I am really not using imap as it was intended.
mlgoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2008, 02:04 AM   #59
physci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennis View Post
I use OS X Leopard.
(I am currently using Thunderbird as it works well with differnt aliases)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post
Workaround: use leon's applescripts. They're still functional with Mail at least up to 10.4.11; haven't tried 'em on Leopard. Even with some minor quirks they've been acceptable for infrequent use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Purity View Post
Believe me, working out this tacky workaround was a last-ditch effort to make Mail usable for me.
))Sonic((
leon's scripts did not work for me, when I tried them on leopard os x mail.app.

As sjk said, dummy accounts is a cumbersome workaround, and is against the basic principle of what email technically should be.

There is a route. Works exactly how multiple identities should and always have been in Mail.app. I've been using it since Tiger Mail, and currently have it on Leopard.

Setting it up takes a bit of time. It involves editing your com.apple.mail.plist file to input mail aliases. If you have not edited plists before, I recommend using PlistEditPro (free).

For the sake of continuity, I'll give the PlistEditPro steps here.
a) Close Mail.app. Make a backup of your com.apple.mail.plist file by copying it to the desktop or something.
b) Open com.apple.mail.plist in PlistEditPro
(If you're not familiar with the property lists, do not modify anything else, except for those here below).
c) Scroll down to mail accounts, and navigate open.
d) You may have 0, 1, 2, etc.. depending on how many mail accounts you have set up. 0 is the local account. Navigate open the main mail account that you primarily use. (scroll down to user name and host name to identify which account it is).
e) Single click on email addresses and then click on NEW SIBLING.
f) Give the name: EmailAliases, and choose class Array
g) Then single click on EmailAliases, and then click on NEW CHILD.
h) Give the name 0, and choose class as Dictionary
i) Single click on 0, and then click on NEW CHILD.
j) Give the name: alias, leave class as String, and give value as the email of the identity you would like, eg: xyz@abc.com
k) Again single click on 0, and then click on NEW CHILD.
l) Give the name: name, leave class as String, and give value as the name you would like to be when sending out, eg: John Doe
m) Now you can single click on 0, copy and paste there itself (apple-c and apple-v), and you get a second alias automatically set up.
n) Modify it to what you'd like, etc..
o) Dont forget to save once you're done, or you wont see any changes. Say yes to replace.
p) Open mail.app. Everything will be as before. Click on new message, You get the option to choose from the identities you just created.

Hope this helps.
physci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 Aug 2008, 05:16 AM   #60
sjk
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by physci View Post
I recommend using PlistEditPro (free).
Actually it's $24.95 shareware.