EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Jul 2016, 10:23 PM   #151
glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflorack View Post
I'm guessing that most of us use our own computers to access email 98% of the time. In the off-nominal case where you don't, painlessly uncheck the box...
Uncheck the box, every single time you login.

As opposed to checking the box just once.

The first time someone someone logs in, it would take about the same amount of effort to read the prompt, understand what it says, realise its pre-checked, and decide that is what they want as it would to check it.

I don't opt not to remember logins because I don't trust the computer, I do it because CVE-2015-0816 was a thing that happened and could have been used to steal the cookies/sessions file from the browser.
glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 10:31 PM   #152
langreisboete

Quote:
I didn't use the old alternative logons, but if you created an App Password under the new system, you'll need to enter that in.
Incorrect. An app password cannot be used to log in on the web or the FastMail app.
https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/apppassword.html
langreisboete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 10:33 PM   #153
rharha

Does the account recovery at https://www.fastmail.com/help/account/recovery.html work for you? It says my account doesn't exist.
rharha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 10:48 PM   #154
lauricat

New server names?

G'day

Still digesting all this...

But, regarding the new server names ie. pop.fastmail.com (POP); Are the old server names' mail.messagingengine.com' eventually going to be replaced with the new standard names?

Or are they to be kept?

Thanks

~L.
lauricat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 10:51 PM   #155
JamesHenderson
Cornerstone of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauricat View Post
G'day

Still digesting all this...

But, regarding the new server names ie. pop.fastmail.com (POP); Are the old server names' mail.messagingengine.com' eventually going to be replaced with the new standard names?

Or are they to be kept?

Thanks

~L.
They will eventually be replaced, but not exactly sure on timing. The only date I have read so far is 31-Aug for the rest of the alternative logins to stop working.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 10:51 PM   #156
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharha View Post
../..It says my account doesn't exist.
Same here.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 10:54 PM   #157
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDyne View Post
Same here.
and here. If this is the automated recover page,l then it is not working yet - i think I read here that it is best to raise a support ticket at the moment.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 11:34 PM   #158
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by langreisboete View Post
Incorrect. An app password cannot be used to log in on the web or the FastMail app.
https://www.fastmail.com/help/clients/apppassword.html
You're right. I was thinking of the Android app that I use (K9); not the FM one.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 11:38 PM   #159
sflorack
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass View Post
Uncheck the box, every single time you login.

As opposed to checking the box just once.
Again.. most people don't need to uncheck the box. To me, it seems that FM took this approach because it satisfies the needs of most of the users in most situations. Apparently, you have a unique situation where all of your emailing happens from computers you don't trust.
sflorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 11:41 PM   #160
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
The fastmail.com links only work for 2 factor authenticated accounts, which are using specific application specific passwords from what I understand.

I set 2FA, set up specific app passwords and switched to imap.fastmail.com and everything
works.

Saw a post about only using username -- not username@fastmail.com

This is INCORRECT -- Especially for people who use a different login domain other than fastmail.com

You must still use username@your_chosen_fastmail_doman.tld

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2016, 11:41 PM   #161
CyberDyne
Master of the @

Quote:
Again.. most people don't need to uncheck the box. To me, it seems that FM took this approach because it satisfies the needs of most of the users in most situations. Apparently, you have a unique situation where all of your emailing happens from computers you don't trust.
Agreed. I trust my computers and phone as I know only I have access to them. The current system works well for my needs.
CyberDyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2016, 12:01 AM   #162
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaLamb View Post

Saw a post about only using username -- not username@fastmail.com

This is INCORRECT -- Especially for people who use a different login domain other than fastmail.com

You must still use username@your_chosen_fastmail_doman.tld

/cl
yes, that was me - sorry.

For some reason I was unable to log in with the @fastmail.com but was able to without it. It was just an unfortunate coincidence but for a while I thought the functionality had changed - the problem was actually something else (still unknown) although it is working now. I thought I had updated my post accordingly and will check it again now.

J.
Old 26 Jul 2016, 12:26 AM   #163
langreisboete

Quote:
I have to agree with glass.

The current situation is:
You have 5 computers you trust, you login without checking. You never have to recheck them again (except see below).

You go to the public computer three times a week, you have to uncheck them every single time. When you forget, you first have to notice it and second, you have te delete it from trusted computers. Except, you can only do that from that specific computer, because in the settings page it says "this computer is trusted, reset here" OR "reset all computers". You cannot reset another single computer from another computer. If you reset all computers, you have to trust them all over again, until you make the mistake for a second time. Additional, if you do not notice it, you cannot notice it at all because there is no overview of trusted computers.

The opposite situation would be:
You have 5 computers you trust, you have to check the box once per computer.

You go to the public computer three times a week, no futher actouns required.

That's it.

Why would you prefer the current situation above the opposite one?
langreisboete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2016, 12:41 AM   #164
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by langreisboete View Post
I have to agree with glass.

The current situation is:
You have 5 computers you trust, you login without checking. You never have to recheck them again (except see below).

You go to the public computer three times a week, you have to uncheck them every single time. When you forget, you first have to notice it and second, you have te delete it from trusted computers. Except, you can only do that from that specific computer, because in the settings page it says "this computer is trusted, reset here" OR "reset all computers". You cannot reset another single computer from another computer. If you reset all computers, you have to trust them all over again, until you make the mistake for a second time. Additional, if you do not notice it, you cannot notice it at all because there is no overview of trusted computers.

The opposite situation would be:
You have 5 computers you trust, you have to check the box once per computer.

You go to the public computer three times a week, no futher actouns required.

That's it.

Why would you prefer the current situation above the opposite one?
Agreed.

/cl
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2016, 01:01 AM   #165
RickNY

Is this why FastCheck stopped working for me this morning? I've tried using app passwords for it, and it still doesn't work. My iOS Mail client continues to work, as well as Outlook - without making any changes.

FWIW -- my FM account is @sent.com

.... and I never received any sort of email regarding these changes.
RickNY is offline   Reply With Quote