EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 5 Jul 2018, 05:53 AM   #1
MaryP

Gmail automatically opens message as document

The last couple of days when I open my gmail messages, the service automatically opens it as if it's a document. It does not allow me to reply, delete, or anything. When I try to go back to the message, it just takes me to my inbox. Help!!

Last edited by MaryP : 5 Jul 2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: typo
MaryP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5 Jul 2018, 08:58 AM   #2
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Welcome to the EMD Forums!

I don't see anything unusual when using the Gmail website.
  • How do you read your Gmail messages? Do you log into the web service at https://mail.google.com or do you use an email client?
  • Is this on a PC or a mobile device?
  • If it opens as if it is a document, what program is it opening in? Word? Notepad? A browser window?
Bill
n5bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 Jul 2018, 07:56 AM   #3
MaryP

I read my messages on line when I'm on my computer.

I read them through my mail program on my iPad (by the way, I don't have the same problem with the iPad).

When it opens, it's just on what looks like a plane sheet of paper - without the usual option for printing or downloading that occurs when I open a document from within the message.

Thanks for your help. Let me know if there are any other questions. I would really like to work through this.

Mary
Old 8 Jul 2018, 03:48 PM   #4
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

I still don't understand which operating system and browser you are using. Although you didn't say so, I think you are going to Gmail by using a web browser and opening it at this URL:
https://mail.google.com

You seem to be saying that when you start Gmail, all you see is a sheet of paper. Or maybe that when you open a message all you see is a sheet of paper. I don't understand what you mean by that. Gmail currently has two user interfaces available from a web browser on a PC (such as Chrome or Firefox or Edge in Windows 10). The browsers which support Gmail are shown here: Supported browsers
  • New look
  • Classic Gmail look
You can change between these by clicking the settings (gear) icon in the upper right portion of the display and clicking the top choice in the menu. In either view I can see a print icon in the upper right of an opened message. I also always see the folder list at the left, the Search mail tool at the top, and other icons on the screen. I don't see any big changes from what Gmail looked like in the past.

Bill

Last edited by n5bb : 8 Jul 2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11 Jul 2018, 04:49 AM   #5
MaryP

Sorry I wasn't clear. I use Safari and log onto the mail using gmail.com. So what happens is that I get the list of messages, as I have always done. I open a message (I agree that usually I get the message with the options to print, delete, etc. However, what is happening is that when I open a message, it immediately opens it as if it is a pdf document ready to print. I have not asked it to open the message like that.

Again, thanks for your help.

Mary
Old 11 Jul 2018, 02:04 PM   #6
n5bb
Intergalactic Postmaster

Arrow New Gmail display shows clickable PDF attachments in the message list

As I said before, Gmail has two different versions when you use a browser. To change between these, click the settings icon (gear in the upper right area of the screen) and use the top choice.

Since you specifically mentioned seeing the PDF viewer display, here is what Gmail looks like when you use these two versions of Gmail and view the message list when the message contains a PDF attachment:As you can see, when using the new Gmail version the PDF attachment is shown on a separate line after the main message.
  • If you click on the message (the line containing the sender name and subject), the message body is opened. This is similar to the classic Gmail display.
  • If you click on the PDF attachment (red PDF icon), you will open the PDF file itself (not the message body) using a PDF viewer. I think this is what you are describing.
Is this your issue? If so, you can return to the classic Gmail version if you wish (as describe above).

Bill
Old 12 Jul 2018, 10:32 AM   #7
MaryP

I have switched back and forth from the old to the new and back. It's not the attachment that opens like a pdf - it's the message itself! And It doesn't happen with every message. And it doesn't happen on my IPad. I'm frustrated enough that I may have to leave gmail! The latest thing that happened is that tonight I composed a message and did a "cut and paste" and MY message switched to the "pdf" (or whatever it is). I did not put an attachment in the email.

Thanks again for looking at this for me.

Mary