EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 21 Sep 2012, 12:56 AM   #1
ericderuiter

Fastmail does not sync folders properly in Lion or Mountain Lion

I've noticed that the sent mail folder does not synchronize mail successfully on OS X Lion. The webmail will show a larger count of messages than mail. This affects all users on the business account who use 10.7, but the users on 10.6 do not have this issue, and the affected accounts don't have issues when their mail is set up in 10.6

I've reproduced this on a fresh 10.7 install, and have had a ticket open with fastmail support since May. They have confirmed the issue and given the issue to their developers, but I'm still waiting for a resolution.

I've found the same issue happens in Mountain Lion as well.

Is anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions? Has anyone seen this happen with an IMAP account from a provider besides fastmail?
ericderuiter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 22 Sep 2012, 07:39 AM   #2
Mwongozi

I'm using Apple Mail on Mountain Lion and this problem does not seem to be affecting me:

http://i.imgur.com/467OO.png
Mwongozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2012, 07:20 PM   #3
placebo
Cornerstone of the Community

I'm running 10.8.2, and I see the problem too. It doesn't appear to be isolated to the sent messages folder. I copied all of my sent messages to a new test folder. After Mail finished syncing the new folder, the count reported by Mail wasn't accurate. In the Account Info window, however, Mail reports the right number of messages.

Edit: I checked the count for other folders and found a few more discrepancies.
placebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2012, 05:05 AM   #4
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by placebo View Post
I'm running 10.8.2, and I see the problem too. .

I have this same problem with mail 6.2 on Mountain Lion.

Mail 6.2 uses a sent folder called "Sent messages" and fastmail uses "sent items".

annoying.
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Nov 2012, 10:27 PM   #5
apl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesHenderson View Post
Mail 6.2 uses a sent folder called "Sent messages" and fastmail uses "sent items".
In Mail, select the folder that you want to use as your Sent mail folder, then:

Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent

You will then need to move the mail from the Sent Mail folder back into the Fastmail Sent Items folder.

Regards Alan
apl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Nov 2012, 01:10 AM   #6
JamesHenderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by apl View Post
In Mail, select the folder that you want to use as your Sent mail folder, then:

Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For > Sent

You will then need to move the mail from the Sent Mail folder back into the Fastmail Sent Items folder.

Regards Alan
Thanks - I thought that was a "right click" not under the :"mailbox" menu so couldn't find it :-)
JamesHenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2012, 02:55 AM   #7
jofallon

Apple Mail

A week later I'm seeing this in an IMAP folder that I use to move messages into. Outlook 2011 matches the count; Mail from 10.8.2 does not. The Account info function in Mail tells me there's 73 messages in that folder (matching Outlook and the FM web site), but there are only 65 messages in the list. Don't know whether it's a mail problem or whether FM somehow marks messages so that Mail (but not Outlood) doesn't sync them. Very odd.
jofallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Nov 2012, 05:14 AM   #8
jofallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofallon View Post
A week later I'm seeing this in an IMAP folder that I use to move messages into. Outlook 2011 matches the count; Mail from 10.8.2 does not.
This appears to be a mail problem, not an FM problem. Postbox and Outlook both display the correct numbers of messages; Apple Mail (version 6.2) cannot.
jofallon is offline   Reply With Quote