EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 25 Mar 2016, 12:34 AM   #1
Stiletto

Question regarding the spam filter

Hey all.

Just started redirecting another email address to my Fastmail account.It receives a lot of spam.

Stupid question: When I mark things as junk and they get moved to my Junk Mail folder, how long do I need to keep them there until the spam filter "learns" that I think they're junk and moves things like them there in the future? Is it instantaneous, or is it queued up and later batched for processing? So if I manually clear the Junk Mail folder daily or twice-daily, will it never be "learned"?

Thanks.
Stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25 Mar 2016, 01:03 AM   #2
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

Don't clear it so often. There is an option (for any folder, BTW) tor automatic deletion after so many days, set it to >7 days.
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2016, 09:59 PM   #3
Stiletto

Thanks for the advice.
Old 25 Mar 2016, 10:31 PM   #4
Berenburger
The "e" in e-mail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
Thanks for the advice.
More explanation here.
Berenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 06:33 AM   #5
ChinaLamb
The "e" in e-mail

Location: a virtually impossible but finitely improbable position
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
Hey all.

Just started redirecting another email address to my Fastmail account.It receives a lot of spam.

Stupid question: When I mark things as junk and they get moved to my Junk Mail folder, how long do I need to keep them there until the spam filter "learns" that I think they're junk and moves things like them there in the future? Is it instantaneous, or is it queued up and later batched for processing? So if I manually clear the Junk Mail folder daily or twice-daily, will it never be "learned"?

Thanks.
Supposed to scan 1x every 24 hours...

Clear the messages after 2 days and you'll be fine.
ChinaLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Mar 2016, 08:09 AM   #6
BritTim
The "e" in e-mail

When you mark things as Spam or Not Spam, the Bayes database is updated immediately, and there is no need to retain messages for any specified period of time. According to (the invariably correct) Bill, the same is true when you move emails to or from Junk Mail using the web interface.

Where the retention period becomes important is if you are moving messages using an external mail client, and using spam learning/ham learning folders. In that case, the messages should be retained in those folders for at least one full day.

Note that it is not usually advisable to have Junk Mail and Inbox set for spam/ham learning. Messages in these folders are already correctly classified. By forcing the system to do double counting, the filters can be skewed non optimally. When the correct decisions are already being made, you do not want to make changes.
BritTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2016, 12:07 AM   #7
Stiletto

Thank you guys!