EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Help Needed!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Help Needed! Having problems with your email service, or with the email software you're using? Post your questions and answers here!

Old 3 Nov 2014, 06:29 AM   #1
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

mail.ru / inbox.ru server name?

I have two email accounts at mail.ru, both of which I've had for quite awhile. Recently, upon logging into a Gmail account from which both of these accounts were originally being checked via pop3, I discovered that, for unknown reasons, neither box had been being checked since September 30th.

I was able to make changes to the mail.ru account and apparently got it to work, I believe by changing the server name from pop.mail.ru to pop3.mail.ru, thanks to a "suggestion" by Gmail.

However, although I'm apparently still able to log into both accounts via the web, no matter what changes I've tried to make, I'm unable to access the inbox.ru account by pop3, at which the server name 'pop.inbox.ru' was apparently working fine before.

I've tried adding SSL, due to an error message pertaining to same, but that also returned an error message. To "mimic" the problem with the mail.ru server, I tried changing the server name to pop3.inbox.ru (although no such "suggestion" was made by Gmail). Finally, I've tried using just the mailbox name and the full email address under "username", but still no luck. And I'm unable to find any information on the pop server names shown anywhere at the mail.ru site.

Does anyone happen to know the correct server name to use for pop3 access when using an inbox.ru account at the mail.ru service?
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3 Nov 2014, 06:56 AM   #2
xmailer
Intergalactic Postmaster

Well, that was apparently much ado about almost nothing. I simply changed the port number (to 995) and that seemed to have solved the problem, and the original server name, pop.inbox.ru, still works. Perhaps I mistakenly assumed that the port number would automatically change when I added SSL. Anyway, I think it's working fine again now. Thanks anyway...
xmailer is offline   Reply With Quote