EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Email Service Provider-specific Forums > FastMail Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

FastMail Forum All posts relating to FastMail.FM should go here: suggestions, comments, requests for help, complaints, technical issues etc.

Old 30 Mar 2013, 11:32 PM   #1
odedp
Master of the @

Fastmail down?

Can't login to my account (web)
odedp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 30 Mar 2013, 11:34 PM   #2
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

Down for me as well.

MessagingEngine.com Server Outage

IMPORTANT: Some proxies seem to incorrectly cache this page. To ensure you have the latest information, please hold down the Ctrl key and click the Refresh or Reload button in your browser to force a refresh of this page.

I'm sorry, the server your email is on is currently down. We apologise for the inconvenience; any email sent to you during this time is being queued by another server and will be delivered as soon as the server is working again.

Status updates about why this server is down and when it will be working again will be posted to our status blog.

Please check back in a few minutes to access your email.

Reported by frontend1.messagingengine.com
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2013, 11:38 PM   #3
odedp
Master of the @

Works ok now
Old 30 Mar 2013, 11:40 PM   #4
odedp
Master of the @

And... down again!
Old 30 Mar 2013, 11:47 PM   #5
odedp
Master of the @

Seems to be ok now...
I hope it's stable this time...
Old 31 Mar 2013, 12:45 AM   #6
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
A database fault caused our monitoring probes to time out. When that happens the probes a) restart everything and b) wake me up. I've switched the misbehaving database component over to a backup and everything is looking good again. I'll get the database admins to look at it more closely soon (hopefully tomorrow, but it is the Easter weekend, so who can be sure!)
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2013, 03:33 PM   #7
Luzo
Essential Contributor

Down again, no web access. http://status.fastmail.fm/2013/04/02/fastmail-down/

EDIT: pb solved

Last edited by Luzo : 2 Apr 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Luzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Apr 2013, 04:08 PM   #8
robn
Master of the @

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
This was a different problem. The master database crashed. That one is slightly more involved to failover to an alternate service, but that's now been done and services are restored.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2013, 04:25 AM   #9
hithere2

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
that's now been done and services are restored.
Well ... not really.
Composing is all messed up. Replying is NOT in rich text and adds a bunch of > in front of every line.
I've changed the settings to compose in plain text - save - compose in rich text - save again, but it does not do anything different.

And that's only the latest problem with this piece of junk that fastmail has now become. It used to be so wonderful...

I am sooooo fed up with this crappy email. And to think that I'm paying for it!
hithere2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2013, 07:03 AM   #10
marianh

Representative of:
Fastmail.fm
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere2 View Post
Well ... not really.
Composing is all messed up. Replying is NOT in rich text and adds a bunch of > in front of every line.
I've changed the settings to compose in plain text - save - compose in rich text - save again, but it does not do anything different.
Assuming you are using the new interface, In Settings, there's also a "When replying, use the same format as the original message" setting. If this is un-checked, your reply to be in whatever format you have set.
marianh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Apr 2013, 03:09 PM   #11
hithere2

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm using the old interface, but the problem is not with the settings because it was working OK up until the crash and I haven't changed anything.
It is a problem with fastmail itself. It was working last night. In the morning, the bookmark that I use every day was not working anymore.
I was able to log in, but composing has not been working properly ever since.
I opened a ticket minutes after posting here, but still haven't received a response.
I probably should not have been so angry in my previous post since the crash is not something that can be blamed on anyone, but I've just been so unhappy with the "new and improved" fastmail that this was probably the proverbial drop that made my cup run over...
Let's hope it's fixed soon.
Thank you very much.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 01:43 PM   #12
disneylogic
Essential Contributor

Cool You guys are great. Seriously.

There's a canonical value in engineering that what matters in the long run is the expected or average value of a performance metric and not, except in special circumstances, extremes. Working for a prominent Internet company allows me to appreciate what it takes to keep a Web based service up, operating, and delivering 24/7, and I gotta tell ya, from where I sit as a very long time, heavy, sophisticated, demanding, and experienced user, you all are just amazing.

Don't let glitches get you down, or unreasonable criticisms from people with silly expectations.

Thanks for all you do.
disneylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2013, 02:52 PM   #13
hithere2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere2 View Post
I want to update this post.
The problem was on my end. Something to do with cache and cookies. Someone from Fastmail, responding to the ticket I opened, suggested that I clear them ... and it solved the problem.

There are things that I do not like with Fastmail as it is now versus what it was a few years ago, but this is not one of them.
I am very sorry for having been so harsh and disrespectful in my previous post. It was very unfair and uncalled for. I apologize. Fastmail was not responsible for my problem.
Old 5 Apr 2013, 09:01 PM   #14
physci

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneylogic View Post
There's a canonical value in engineering that what matters in the long run is the expected or average value of a performance metric and not, except in special circumstances, extremes. Working for a prominent Internet company allows me to appreciate what it takes to keep a Web based service up, operating, and delivering 24/7, and I gotta tell ya, from where I sit as a very long time, heavy, sophisticated, demanding, and experienced user, you all are just amazing.

Don't let glitches get you down, or unreasonable criticisms from people with silly expectations.

Thanks for all you do.
This. Thank you, FM.
In fact, I think it would help if we started a compliment thread.
physci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Apr 2013, 10:32 PM   #15
Jacinto
Essential Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by physci View Post
This. Thank you, FM.
In fact, I think it would help if we started a compliment thread.
Let's not start it.

Why thank Fastmail for mediocre service, hit or miss technical support, and fixing what isn't broken until after it's fixed?

(I have two paid Enhanced accounts and evaluating a "Premier" one as well.)

Jacinto
Jacinto is offline   Reply With Quote