EmailDiscussions.com  

Go Back   EmailDiscussions.com > Discussions about Email Services > Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts
Stay in touch wirelessly

Email Comments, Questions and Miscellaneous Share your opinion of the email service you're using. Post general email questions and discussions that don't fit elsewhere.

View Poll Results: In your opinion, which email service is better? Poll set for 90 days.
The new Yahoo! service is better and the old Yahoo! service 5 20.00%
The new Yahoo! service is better than the Oddpost service 2 8.00%
The new Yahoo! service is better than both the old Yahoo! and Oddpost services 3 12.00%
The Oddpost service is better 11 44.00%
The old Yahoo! service is better 9 36.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19 Mar 2006, 09:37 AM   #1
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Oddpost Email RIP: The Wake (Or: The dynamic fusion of Yahoo! and Oddpost)

Apologies for the cross post, but I forgot to add the poll to the other thread and it seems I can't do so by editing the post, and it was more fitting to post this in Comments/Criticism/Etc since technically this isn't a warning.

In less than two weeks time Oddpost will be consigned to email history when by which time all accounts will have been converted to the new Yahoo! fascia, and the Oddpost website's electronic door closed for good. As I understand it, all existing Y! accounts will adopt the new look too.

If you have already used the new Y! interface, please vote in the poll to indicate your opinions on it.

Last edited by Adam Lachlan : 20 Mar 2006 at 01:59 AM.
Adam Lachlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 19 Mar 2006, 02:23 PM   #2
ankupan
Cornerstone of the Community

Old Yahoo

I tried Beta version, but after a month, I realized that Old yahoo webmail is better and more powerful.
ankupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2006, 06:44 PM   #3
beq

Re: Oddpost Email RIP: The Wake (Or: The dymanic fusion of Yahoo! and Oddpost)

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Lachlan
In less than two weeks time ... As I understand it, all existing Y! accounts will adopt the new [beta] look too.
Really, is this true?

Do you know if it will only apply to standard Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Mail Plus accounts, or will the beta interface rollout also apply to:

- ISP-branded Yahoo mail accounts (ie. SBC Yahoo DSL)

- Yahoo Small Business Services mail accounts (ie. Yahoo Business Mail)

I've been waiting on both account types...
beq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2006, 09:18 PM   #4
jeffpan
The "e" in e-mail

Representative of:
tls-mail.com
The yahoo new beta is too slow,I don't like it at all.
jeffpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Mar 2006, 10:12 PM   #5
janusz
The "e" in e-mail

This thread started with the tile: ...The dymanic fusion... I wonder whether this was simply a typo, or a Freudian slip
janusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2006, 01:58 AM   #6
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Quote:
Originally posted by janusz
This thread started with the tile: ...The dymanic fusion... I wonder whether this was simply a typo, or a Freudian slip
Indeed, that should read "dynamic"... if a moderator would be kind enough to correct that error...

I could be wrong about the existing Y! accounts converting to the new mail system so soon (after all, it would be a lot of work) but I'm sure I heard somewhere (can't remember where though) that eventually all Y! accounts would use this new program. Of course, I prepare to stand corrected on this as well.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 02:09 AM   #7
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Re: Re: Oddpost Email RIP: The Wake (Or: The dymanic fusion of Yahoo! and Oddpost)

Quote:
Originally posted by beq
Do you know if it will only apply to standard Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Mail Plus accounts, or will the beta interface rollout also apply to:

- ISP-branded Yahoo mail accounts (ie. SBC Yahoo DSL)

- Yahoo Small Business Services mail accounts (ie. Yahoo Business Mail)
Again, I can't answer that. What I do know is that you cannot convert your Oddpost account into a BT/Yahoo!, Rogers account etc, you have so set up another new standard Y! Mail account. Given that, I would imagine that if the new service is to roll out into these forementioned accounts it would be awhile before it takes affect.

To be honest I'm a bit hazy as to what's going on at the Yahoo! end, most of the information I'm going on came from Oddpost. After all, they are the same company now!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 09:55 AM   #8
euroman

oddpost RIP....

The new yahoo beta is nice (small nice) but is not a scratch on old oddpost.

I use fireox so one thing in new beta favour is that it is useable on FF. But why no calendar in some groove at oddpost??

From others reports new YH is too slow on dialups.. and for others seems buggy. Must say have had no problems. It just hasn't same functionality with folders nested that oddpost had. More mainstream.
euroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Mar 2006, 05:13 PM   #9
henrico
Essential Contributor

I liked Oddpost more than the new Yahoo! Mail Beta. The interface was just perfect. I will give the new Yahoo! a chance, it's not bad at all...
henrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2006, 06:04 AM   #10
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

So what has Yahoo! actually accomplished with the $30 million buy out of Oddpost.

1) Kill what was once good (Oddpost)
2) Annoy (from the sounds of it) those who like the "old" Yahoo!
3) Develop a "new" Yahoo! Mail which is inferior to both the old version it replaces and Oddpost.
4) Take almost two years IIRC to accomplish items 1-3

At least Tony, Ethan, Iain et al. took the money an ran
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2006, 07:06 AM   #11
Adam Lachlan
Master of the @

Have to agree with you there Oysterquartz.

My Oddpost account finally converted over to Yahoo! Beta a couple of days ago and I have been exploring my future email account since. First impressions: on the whole it's quite good, but lacks many of Oddpost's unique features (thankfully the Subject-O-Matique was retained). It certainly feels more like your bog standard webmail service than Oddpost largely due to the lack of popups, among other things.

The one thing I disagree with is I do think the new Yahoo! Beta is better than old Yahoo! Mail. And since I'm using broadband the speed is perfectly acceptable (albeit nothing like Oddpost, or indeed Fastmail ). But nothing can touch Oddpost. Iain and Ethan were right, emailing would never be the same again. Now that Oddpost is in its final stages of death row, emailing will never be the same again once more for its users. What really fires me is that none of this need ever have happened, Y! could have simply kept Oddpost as it was (even if it meant rebranding it Yahoo) and kept the Oddposters happy, and keep its existing Y! Mail customers happy too. This is where I am being reminded of "Big M"!
Old 22 Mar 2006, 07:58 AM   #12
beq

I'm inclined to be kinder to the new Yahoo Mail beta. I imagine they couldn't just take the Oddpost product as is, they would have had to rearchitect it to synergistically tie to Yahoo's other online services/properties, and for standards compatibility (ex. Mozilla).

In light of that, I think in many ways they've been moving faster in development than Oddpost ever did. Makes sense, given more resources...
beq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2006, 02:12 AM   #13
squabsy

Really sad oddpost is going it was a brilliant service and would have been my prime acc if it ran outside IE.
Couldn't someone do a deal with Yahoo to run the old oddpost service ?
squabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2006, 12:04 AM   #14
miley
Essential Contributor

Could someone post what unique features are missing? I signed up for an oddpost 30 day trial in ancent history, but never really used it because it was win ie only. I know oddpost had a slick inerface (but barebones) calendar and they had subfoldering. What else? How about the reverse? Anything that the beta has that oddpost didn't (Firefox compatibilty is one biggie).
miley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Mar 2006, 01:45 AM   #15
oysterquartz
The "e" in e-mail

They had made it compatible with Firefox long ago. Basically it was clean, fairly fast, and looked like an email client application vs. webmail.

Yahoo! screwed it up. Slowed it down (for me its pretty much unusable), littered it with advertisements (typical Yahoo!). It is no longer compelling.

Especially in the era of Web 2.0 apps and services I'm amazed that Yahoo! took something relatively pure and simple (GUI wise) and competely messed it up.

Just horrid
oysterquartz is offline   Reply With Quote